Paper Money: New Acquisitions

Discussion in 'Paper Money' started by Dr Kegg, Dec 16, 2010.

1. avengerc4

avengerc4 Member

that's why I would just swap money with another teller and then withdraw the money from her drawer. They all thought I was nuts but were ok with it. I miss working at a bank sometime. I miss catching all the cool stuff that comes through.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. avengerc4

avengerc4 Member

And one other thing I must note (no pun intended ;))...I would be so scared of someone coming in and stealing everything I owned! Those are great!

4. SteveInTampa

SteveInTampa Always Learning

Fractional Currency, 5th Issue 10C Meredith Green Seal (CH-CU)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

hotwheelsearl likes this.
  5. MEC2

MEC2 Enormous Member

Thanks for all the kind words on my frames. Honestly, if I couldn't display them, I wouldn't collect them.

I plan to enjoy looking at scans of them - I doubt I will ever be able to afford such an item. Heck, the $100 was something I thought was out of reach, but I got a great deal on it - both actually.

I understand, that's why they are insured and I have anti-theft deterrents in place. See if you can find the anti-theft device in this picture.

[​IMG]

Steve's great fractional made me think maybe I should post just ONE MORE frame... this is my fractional frame, in fact it might be the first large frame I ever did. It took a LONG time to get all those fractionals, but I have one of every issue, so it's complete (I am still looking for the unreleased 15 cent Grant/Sherman fractional, just haven't lucked into winning one yet)... still one of my faves.

[​IMG]

6. icerain

icerain Mastir spellyr

MEC, that is a lot of frames. And it looks like you got a neat home office setup. Have you ever thought of collecting the variety types of the Fractionals?

7. avengerc4

avengerc4 Member

I would have one of those as well ;) Love the bayonet on it! Get an older ww1 or ww2 rifle of sorts and hang it on the wall by the notes of it's year :) That would be cool also! Then the devise would be right there hanging ;)

8. kookoox10

kookoox10 ANA #3168546

Those frames are freakin' top notch MEC. Where do you get those...the frames that is?

9. coinguy-matthew

coinguy-matthew Ike Crazy

10. MEC2

MEC2 Enormous Member

I am more of a design collector than a subtype collector - trying to get all of the surcharges or little variants is outside my collecting interest. Though I did, like on the Meredith issue, get a long key, short key, and green key.

The bayonet never runs out of ammunition.

They are float frames, I get them at Michaels but you can get that at Amazon as well. The key isn't the frames as much as the glass. I use conservation glass that is coated to block 99% of UV light, allow maximum light transfer plus drastically reduce glare. Unless you get a direct reflection, the conservation glass is almost completely undetectable - the notes seem to actually be floating in space. I have to tell people don't touch because it looks like the notes are suspended in air.

Time for new notes! My scanner is in, and while I am still playing a little bit it's time to start scanning all of my new arrivals. I got a nice batch of TRUE radar notes - here's the 66PPQ variant.

[​IMG]

Also got a 65PPQ and 64PPQ... always have preferred the true radars, having the district not match the block makes my teeth itch. Figure I'll keep one and sell the others hopefully for enough to cover the cost of the one I keep. The new scanner does a good job, really like the clarity on this scan. The color is a little strong on blue and it's a struggle to get modern greenbacks colored right (too much yellow in the paper, blue in the ink) but I will work on it...

11. papermoney54

papermoney54 Coin Collector

[​IMG]

nice antitheft device, aks are the best

12. Ripley

Ripley Senior Member

I like the Russian style pig sticker on your AK, better than the Chicom spike type. :devil:

13. SteveInTampa

I recently picked up this Brooklyn Life Insurance vignette proof made by the National Bank Note Company (circa 1880's).....I liked the depiction of the shipwrecked sailor hanging on for dear life knowing his family was taken of if he died.

[​IMG]

14. MEC2

MEC2 Enormous Member

Well I have been putting my scanner to good use - here's a VF35 Dallas Ace I just acquired. Really like the details on this note.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

15. funkee

funkee Tender, Legal

Got a third $20 FRBN in AU 58.

25% of the way to completing the entire district set in 58.

20121113_223858.jpg 20121113_224019.jpg

Unfortunately there are so few Dallas notes in 58 that come to market. Not to mention how expensive they are.

I see more 63s and 64s sold than I do 58s. Would it be absolutely insane of me to buy a higher grade Dallas, cut it out of the holder and add some "handling" to it, in an attempt to knock the grade down to 58 in order to complete my set?

There's always the risk of overshooting it and ending up with a 55. :-(

I don't need to mention how much money I'll be wasting value-wise by doing that.

16. MEC2

MEC2 Enormous Member

Man, you've got a weird deviant form of currency numerology. Normally it shows up in collecting particular serials, but you've got an odd Cruetzfeldt-Jacob-Holder disease, also known as Mad Cow Currency Holder disorder. Get help. And if you mangle a 63 down to a 58 we will all shun you.

It was just a matter of time before I got my scanner going and my new currency pickups would return, and what better way to announce you will return than to do it like Macarthur with a Philippines note? This is one of my favorite designs, not only because of all the engraving detail on the front, but the cranberry back has always been a favorite. This is the less common Roxas signature. Would love a snappy CU of this but price steepens greatly. Now I need the 100 and 500... yikes.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

17. bonniview

bonniview Active Member

Cruetzfeldt-Jacob Holder disease....is that German? Am glad i don't have that!

18. gsalexan

gsalexan Intaglio aficionado

Great vignette! I like the metal Brooklyn Life deposit box floating by his feet. Looks like an ABNCo insignia just below that. How did you come by this piece -- was it in an auction?

19. funkee

funkee Tender, Legal

Creutzfeldt Jacob's is the human form of Bovine Spongiform Encephalopathy or Mad Cow Disease. It is really really sh¡tty to have. When I worked as a volunteer in the neurology ward of a big New York hospital, I frequently assisted a guy who contracted it in Europe more than a decade prior. He was a famous artist and sculptor. Once it comes on, it's similar to Alzheimer's but progresses lightning fast.

20. SteveInTampa

It was in a Heritage Tuesday Night Auction.......I bid $1 and won. Total with the juice was $15.
    I also won this for $1 in the same auction.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

21. Dr Kegg

Dr Kegg Star Note Fanatic

I've been meaning to start looking into those auctions again, but money is tight ever since I have been paying for the mortgage and all of the bills by myself. Can't wait to get that income tax check next year and get back into the swing of things, if only for a little bit.

Draft saved Draft deleted