Paper Money: New Acquisitions

Discussion in 'Paper Money' started by Dr Kegg, Dec 16, 2010.

1. Inquisitive

Inquisitive Starting 2 know something

Not a paper collector, and understood this is in bad shape, but this was too interesting to pass given the deal made.
    20221129_154227[1].jpg 20221129_154238[1].jpg

Bambam8778 and Abramthegreat like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Wingnut6999

Wingnut6999 Currency loving custodian

I recently acquired a 226a to go with my 226. Just 9 more to go. Lol 20221123_132540.jpg

4. ColonialCoinsUK

ColonialCoinsUK Well-Known Member

One from Ecuador this time, there seems to be lots of ships and trains about during this period:D

MCECU008-50suc-p94s-PMG65-F-crop.jpg MCECU008-50suc-p94s-PMG65-B-crop.jpg

5. Notaphylic_C

Notaphylic_C Well-Known Member

That's a beautiful specimen from Ecuador @ColonialCoinsUK. Very classic design that we see throughout the world for several decades, especially from Central & South America.

Here's a smaller note from Haiti which reminds me of the guilloches seen on your specimen. It's P-200a & features their ruthless dictator of the era (but the back is nice):
    Haiti_p200a_1G_R.jpeg Haiti_p200a_1Gourde.jpeg

6. Bambam8778

Bambam8778 Well-Known Member

These are among some of my favorite bills! Thanks for sharing!

Wingnut6999 likes this.
  7. ColonialCoinsUK

ABNC seem to have been printing most of the notes for lots of countries at the time - I always think it would be a good idea to make a list of all the notes that actually use the same vignettes - retirement project :D

8. Notaphylic_C

-For that particular year?

I see a persistent lack of loyalty amongst most Caribbean, Central & South American nations towards their printers. Brazil changed printers often & here's a couple versions of Haiti's 2 Gourdes note after "Doc" was dethroned.
    P-254 printed by the USBC (United States Bank Note Co) & P-260 by TDLR (Thomas DeLa Rue). Haiti_P-254_2G_r.jpeg Haiti_P-260_2G_r.jpeg

Attached Files:

BasSWarwick and SteveInTampa like this.
  9. Bradley Trotter

Bradley Trotter Well-Known Member

Picked up a pair of NBNs recently. The first of these comes from Gallatin, TN, roughly an hour away from where I live. From what little I could gather regarding this elusive local charter, few notes from this charter have appeared at auction in recent decades. Heritage Auctions, for example, does not have a recorded sale of a type 1 $20. That said, the second bank building erected in 1923 remains extant in downtown Gallatin and currently serves as an office complex.

Face:

1929 $20 Gallatin TN Face.jpg

Reverse:

1929 $20 Gallatin TN Reverse.jpg

The second note is from one of the few common charters for Florida. That being the American National Bank of Pensacola. I paid $45 for this note from a well-known coin dealer in Northeast Florida.

Face:

P1.jpeg

Reverse:

P2.jpeg

IrishLuck and SteveInTampa like this.
  10. Notaphylic_C

These two Swedish 10 Kronors remind me of a white Christmas:
    P-52a:
    Sweden 10K P52a.jpeg
    & P-52r:
    Sweden_P52r_10K.jpeg

And the reverse with symbolic snowflakes & northern lights:
    Sweden 10K P52a_r.jpeg

Merry Christmas & Happy holidays (keep warm!)

BasSWarwick likes this.
  11. IrishLuck

IrishLuck Well-Known Member

Cool name. I wonder if it was combination of two bank or if they couldn’t make up their minds.
    I’ve been researching my one note and it too is from a small bank. Seems many are scarce in graded slab and auction.
    I can see surviving populations from these banks being low and imagine the market for most is very limited.
    They are about a local as you can get in national currency.

12. Nathan401

Nathan401 Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

A very rare Rhode Island note 03672726-9A52-4596-BF0B-CC522957BFDF.jpeg

Paddy54 likes this.
  13. Bradley Trotter

Picked up another Florida NBN for my collection. This time from a somewhat elusive charter in Northeast Florida.

Face:

1929 $5 Fernandina FL.jpg
    Reverse:

1929 $5 Fernandina FL Reverse.jpg

SteveInTampa likes this.
  14. SteveInTampa

SteveInTampa Always Learning

Awesome Florida National @Bradley Trotter. I have the earlier version from Fernandina.

F452E665-F319-4414-AA73-9BFCB2FB3383.jpeg

Nathan401 and Bradley Trotter like this.
  15. Bradley Trotter

Not bad; as far as low-grade obsolete notes go, that's undoubtedly one of the more appealing examples I've seen. That said, I wouldn't mind getting into Florida obsoletes at some point down the road.

16. Notaphylic_C

Picked up before Christmas:
    IOM_5P_P35a.jpg IOM_5P_P35a_r.jpg

17. KSorbo

KSorbo Well-Known Member

This was my haul from a recent business trip which was my first time in India. Even though there are notes up to 2000 rupees, I never saw anything above 500, even when using ATM’s.

9E81D824-655E-40D0-B4E7-DF5D6A530F1A.jpeg D947BC15-EB41-42E7-AE69-E800429DE0F8.jpeg EBE63B7B-BAE4-4337-9115-18D10584F9A1.jpeg B8F8681E-D31E-4062-A00E-53E64256FA63.jpeg 1C06EBDE-729D-4409-9B55-9360E959F854.jpeg D9F9240C-4307-4221-9ADE-EC2A0D4CAA48.jpeg

Notaphylic_C and BasSWarwick like this.
  18. Notaphylic_C

The 100 & 20 Rupees look nice (condition wise).

Just curious, have you ever tried an exchange outlet in your country? The reason I ask is b/c I can almost always get UNC examples from my joint. (Not always- but often they're very crisp & barely circulated). On my last trip to the DR, I got some great 50 & 500 Pesos notes (just no 100 or 200). Almost all the notes I encountered in the DR were very circulated rags. When I came back, I asked for more (the 100 & 200 Pesos) but they didn't have any. Instead I bought UNC Euros & UK pounds.

KSorbo and BasSWarwick like this.
  19. KSorbo

KSorbo Well-Known Member

I’ve never exchanged currency in the US due to the horrendous commissions.

I was in Santo Domingo earlier last year and noticed the same thing. I have a couple crisp hundreds that I got at the exchange booth at the airport, but most of the bills I got in town were rags.

20. ColonialCoinsUK

Managed to get a note from one of the earlier banks in Nicaragua - a 1 peso remainder from the Banco de Agricola-Mercantil.

A quick look and I still see a centaur in the middle even though I know it isn't :D:D

MCNIC007-1P-S107r-PMG35-Fcrop.jpg MCNIC007-1P-S107r-PMG35-Bcrop.jpg

BasSWarwick likes this.
  21. Notaphylic_C

-That remainder has a very nice classic design @ColonialCoinsUK! Nice pick up!

-First off, the commission is worth it (IMO) since the notes will be cheaper than on eBay (sellers must factor in their high seller fees) & you have to pay postage. I see many modern day (current notes for sale on eBay) & wonder who are buying these? You only buy UNC (not many).
    -Secondly, I never exchange $ at an airport (the worse rates) & always ask for UNC (crisp or mint- whatever they understand) & don't be afraid to say "no thanks" & return the circulated notes. That's what I've done, but the best results are from an exchange outlet that's not at an airport. I haven't done it often but the odd times I have tried- it has paid off with a few AU to UNC crisp notes.

BasSWarwick likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted