Paper Money: New Acquisitions

Discussion in 'Paper Money' started by Dr Kegg, Dec 16, 2010.

1. Notaphylic_C

Notaphylic_C Well-Known Member

And here's the 10 Kwacha:
    Zam_P26e_10K.jpg Zam_P26e 10K_r.jpg

BasSWarwick likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. BasSWarwick

BasSWarwick Well-Known Member

The Millennium notes came from a local auction.
    The red serial was not shown in photos so that came as a great surprise - and being UNC was a bonus.

Zambia. I didn't have any Zambia notes, so getting those 3 in clean condition was a nice addition to my small world collection. Thanks for scanning the 5 and 10 Kwacha - the Kariba dam makes a great reverse.

4. Notaphylic_C

Here's Canada's 150 anniversary commemorative $10 which appeared briefly in 2017. The note features JA McDonald (1st PM), GE Cartier, Agnes McPhail (1st female MP) & James Gladstone (Indigenous/1st nation senator) with green stain glass windows from the library of parliament. Design on the back features 4 regions of Canada + Northern Lights: CDF Front.jpg CDC1284128_r.jpg

BasSWarwick likes this.
  5. BasSWarwick

Beautiful note.

6. BasSWarwick

Here's a thrift store pick up - Cambodia from the Vietnam War period 1956-72 - 500 Riel.

Obverse
    Multicolor. Farmer plowing with two water buffalo.
    Reverse
    Pagoda at right, doorway of Preah Vihear at left.
    Cambodia 500r.jpg

7. BasSWarwick

Another thrift store pick up from Cambodia
    100 Riels - 1956-1974

Obverse
    Brown and green on multicolor underprint.
    Statue of Lokecvara at left.
    Reverse
    Long boat.
    Cambodia 100r.jpg

8. Notaphylic_C

-Those are lovely, especially considering you got them at the Thrift Store. The 100 Riels with the Statue of Lokecvara reminds me of the many ruins featured at Angkor Wat (not that I have been- but it is definitely on my bucket list).

The statue on your 100 R reminds me of the back of this 10 Rupee (P-55) from Ceylon: Ceylon_P-55_10R crop.jpg
    Ceylon_P-55_10R_r crop.jpg

BasSWarwick likes this.
  9. BasSWarwick

Sadly the manageress who saved me banknotes at the thrift store has left, so I dont think I will be so lucky in the future.

Your Ceylon note is a beauty. Shown on the reverse of the note is the Guard Stone Anuradhapura which I visited on my trip there in 2004. The ancient Sinhalese architecture is marvelous

10. BasSWarwick

There seems so much interest in Zimbabwe Trillions of dollar banknotes, I thought it might be nice to have some older notes from the first dollar series 1980 - 2006

Zimbabwe UNC $2 note from 1983

Obverse
    Chiremba Balancing Rocks in Matopos National Park, and Water Buffalo
    Reverse
    Tigerfish, and Kariba Dam on Zambezi River
    Zimbabwe $2.jpg

Last edited: Oct 12, 2022
  11. BasSWarwick

....and also from 1983

Zimbabwe 1983 - $5 Dollar aUNC
    Obverse
    Chiremba Balancing Rocks in Matopos National Park, and Zebra
    Reverse
    Two women pounding grain near huts
    Zimbabwe $5.jpg

Last edited: Oct 12, 2022
  12. BasSWarwick

.....and another

Zimbabwe 1997 - $10

Obverse
    Chiremba Balancing Rocks in Matopos National Park
    Reverse
    Chilojo Cliffs in Gonarezhou National Park

Zim 10.jpg

13. BasSWarwick

My son gave me this one

Hong Kong 2003 - $20
    The Hong Kong and Shanghai Banking Corporation Limited.

Obverse.
    HSBC lion “Stitt” which first became an icon on HSBC’s banknotes in 1972. “Stitt” and the other HSBC lion sculpture, “Stephen”, have been guarding the HSBC Hong Kong headquarters since 1935, and are named after Alexander Stephen and Gordon Stitt, senior bank managers in Hong Kong and Shanghai during the 1920s.

Reverse
    The Peak Tram - a funicular railway in Hong Kong, which carries both tourists and residents to the upper levels of Hong Kong Island.

I bought a 1960's postcard of the Peak Tram a few years ago. (shown below)

Hong Kong 2003 $20.jpg

Last edited: Oct 15, 2022
  14. Notaphylic_C

The lower denominations from Zimbabwe are nice (much nicer than their hyperinflation series IMO).

I like your $20 notes from Hong Kong & the extra contextual photographs/info are excellent. Thanks for sharing. Here's my 2 (the 1983 Hong Kong & Shanghai Corporation note is my favourite due to its larger size). The first one shown is from the 1990's & smaller. HK_P191c_$10_5259..jpg HK_P191c_$10_5259_R.jpg HongKong$10_P-182j.jpeg

Here is an interesting thread by a collector based in Hong Kong who has a pretty extensive collection (& knowledge of their issues) from Numista.

Last edited: Oct 16, 2022
    BasSWarwick likes this.
  15. BasSWarwick

They have a certain appeal which is lacking in the hyperinflation series and I have decided to try to to build up a set

Thanks for those scans. I have a few other HK notes, but nothing as nice as those.

Appreciate the link. Thanks

16. BasSWarwick

Another gift from my son.

2005 China 100 Yuan
    China 2005  100 Yuan.jpg

17. BasSWarwick

.....and another gift

1999 China 50 Yuan
    China 1999 50 Yuan.jpg

18. Notaphylic_C

Both your notes are well-centred @BasSWarwick. Unfortunately, my only example P-904a, also 2005, but a 10 Yuan came all wonky (especially the reverse side, but technically UNC- just never will be better than strict UNC62 to 63 (with being so off-centred on the backside): China_10_P904a.jpeg China_10_P904_r.jpeg :

19. BasSWarwick

@Notaphylic_C

My son also gave me a 10 Yuan - 2005. AE 01602895

The colour is not as bright as yours - its a little more grey blue, however the reverse has been cut straight.

Another one he gave me was the 20 Yuan - 2005
    China 2005  20 Yuan.jpg

Last edited: Oct 17, 2022
  20. Notaphylic_C

Very nice & centred. Here's a fractional (I believe) a small 5 Jiao from 1980 which a seller threw in with one of the lots I bought 2-3 years ago (can't even remember which). Its actually got nice colour. I gave it & a few others to my nephew (who I thought enjoyed his CDN collection):
    China_P883 5J.jpg China_P883 5J_r.jpg

21. BasSWarwick

@Notaphylic_C

Very nice bright colour on your 5 Jiao. The patterning on this series is so beautiful.
    I also have 3 of those 5 Jiao notes including 1 UNC. (and 2 used).

The others in the 1980 series are the 1 and 2 Jiao which I have UNC copies (as well as some used).

My 1 Jiao has an AA prefix - probably means nothing considering there are 8 following numbers, and there still appears to be a plentiful supply at reasonable prices.

My son gave me a well used 5 Jiao which probably means they were still in use around 10 years ago when he worked there. Its even possible this series is still being printing as I saw what was called a '4th Set' 1 Jiao note starting with a serial P7L

China 1 Jiao 1980.jpg China 2 Jiao 1980.jpg

Last edited: Oct 18, 2022
Draft saved Draft deleted