Paper Money: New Acquisitions

Discussion in 'Paper Money' started by Dr Kegg, Dec 16, 2010.

1. coin_nut

coin_nut Well-Known Member

Quite an impressive collection of Cambodian notes and a great history lesson. Thanks for sharing that! I have been to Cambodia a number of times and I recall the paper Riel notes being used for small change. I think 5000 riels = 25 cents US. The ATMs dispense USD which is used everywhere. I looked in the eyes of some of the older people who lived through the Khymer Rouge years and could often see a haunted look. In some others I saw a very black, cold look.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. BasSWarwick

BasSWarwick Well-Known Member

Latest addition to my NZ collection

A friend who owns a local shop had this out of circulation note tendered at the till, and passed it on to me at face. Its an old NZ $10 paper note from 1993-1999 - P182 BLUE BACK. Serial EC081548. D.T.Brash
    (The original paper note started life with a green back in 1993)

Fifth series (1993–1999)
    New Zealand's banknotes were completely re-designed in the 1990s to introduce uniquely New Zealand designs. Kate Sheppard, the most famous New Zealand suffragette, was now on the front of the ten-dollar note, next to a white camellia, a symbol for universal suffrage in New Zealand. A whoi blue duck, an endangered species of New Zealand bird, is on the back. Between the portrait and the camellia is a map of New Zealand.

1993-99 $10 Paper Brash.jpg

Paddy54 and Chris B like this.
  4. BasSWarwick

Last edited: Sep 2, 2022
    Chris B and coin_nut like this.
  5. Paddy54

Paddy54 Well-Known Member

20220902_133047.jpg
    Received this card today from the SCCS once again out did themselves with a simple yet very eye catching print. I know a lot of Lincoln collectors would like this print.
    Many thanks to the SCCS job well done.

Chris B likes this.
  6. BasSWarwick

I purchased this 1979-82 Australian $20 paper in the same auction. Looking pretty good for 40+ years. Signed Knight - Stone. Gothic Serial.
    Obverse
    Sir Charles Kingsford-Smith at right
    Geometric shapes in centre
    Reverse
    Lawrence Hargrave at left
    Aeronautical devices in centre

Aussie 1979 $20.jpg

Notaphylic_C and Chris B like this.
  7. Notaphylic_C

Notaphylic_C Well-Known Member

Nice note @BasSWarwick ! I like notes from "down under" & the Kiwi variety. I got this 1994 polymer only b/c I threw a low-ball bid on it & won: Austraila_P-53a_$20_r crop.jpeg Australia_P-53a_$20 crop.jpeg

I also picked up this replacement $10.00 similar to the one you posted a few days ago:
    N-Z $10_P182 ZZrep.jpeg N Z $10_P182r_R.jpeg

Cheech9712, BasSWarwick and Chris B like this.
  8. Chris B

Chris B Supporter! Supporter

Yesterday we went to a coin show in Ohio. On the way home we stopped at an antique mall and I found these notes. @dwhiz should like them. It's just coincidence that they all have train themes. I wasn't looking for them.

img20220903_13012984.jpg

9. BasSWarwick

Notaphylic_C

Very nice. I'm looking to get a set of the Australian polymers as they become available locally.

In the same auction I received this aUNC Johnstone-Fraser Australian $10 paper from 1985 which is an ideal replacement for the one I have in EF condition.
    Obverse
    Francis Greenway at right
    Buildings in centre
    Reverse
    Henry Lawson at left
    Village in centre
    Aussie 1985 $10.jpg

10. BasSWarwick

The last one won in the Aussie note auction was a 1972 Commonwealth of Australia $5 paper note in pretty good shape. In 1974 the 'Commonwealth of Australia' was amended to Australia. Both note types shown below.

Obverse
    Sir Joseph Banks at right
    Australian plants in centre
    Reverse
    Caroline Chisholm at left
    Harbour & faces in centre
    Watermark
    Captain James Cook

The top 2 images are the C or A obverse (Phillips & Wheeler), and the lower the Australia obverse (Johnston - Stone)
    Australia 19 $5.jpg

Chris B, Notaphylic_C and clayirving like this.
  11. manny9655

manny9655 Well-Known Member

Where in Ohio were you? The Cleveland area has a show on the 2nd Saturday of each month. If you're interested in going, I can give you directions.

12. Chris B

Chris B Supporter! Supporter

CONA outside of Columbus. It's just once a year and always Labor Day weekend. I live in Indianapolis, so Cleveland would be quite a haul. I can be in Columbus in 2-1/2 hours.

manny9655 likes this.
  13. BasSWarwick

I guess this could be classed as an acquisition.
    Received in change yesterday and decided to keep as it turned out to be a 'rare to find' P186b, serial DA06 last prefix of year which doubles its resale value. Condition is circulated but its a keeper, and has a decent profit if I wanted to sell at x2 / 2.5

New Zealand $10 Polymer 1994 last prefix of year
    NZ $10 P!86b last prefix.jpg

Cheech9712, Notaphylic_C and Chris B like this.
  14. Notaphylic_C

-That's an awesome find @BasSWarwick ! LAST prefixes, like change-overs, are usually short & far more collectible than first prefixes. I don't understand where the fixation on first prefixes began b/c 9 times out of 10 they're regular runs (ie common- compared to change-overs or last prefixes).
    Must be another "consecutive serial # are special" myth!

Cheech9712 and BasSWarwick like this.
  15. Cheech9712

Cheech9712 Every thing is a guess

Great stuff. You get a high five

16. Cheech9712

Cheech9712 Every thing is a guess

I like those

17. stldanceartist

stldanceartist Minister of Silly Walks

Picked these up a couple days ago along with a bunch of other UNC 1969/74/77 $1 notes - not a ton of book value, just the kind of thing you don't see every day (usually older silver certs)

IMG_6178.jpg
    IMG_6179.jpg

Cheech9712 likes this.
  18. BasSWarwick

In memory of the late QEII here is one of my many NZ polymer $20 notes AV16677700
    The note first appeared in 1999, and the style has changed little since.
    This one is signed by governor Graeme Wheeler circa 2013

2013-16  $20 Polymer.jpg

Notaphylic_C, Chris B and coin_nut like this.
  19. techwriter

techwriter Well-Known Member

God save the Queen!
    canada_$1_1954_star_-AA0066669_face_50pct.jpg

Notaphylic_C and Chris B like this.
  20. techwriter

techwriter Well-Known Member

Probably my most favorite portrait of the Queen:
    woman_EastCaribbean_$1_face.jpg

Notaphylic_C, BasSWarwick and Chris B like this.
  21. Notaphylic_C

Mine too! The engraving was based on Petro Annigoni's portrait which is a classic to this day. I cover this & a list of nations which featured her on my WORLD MOTIF'S page on my Notaphilyc Culture site.
    East C_P15g$20 crop.jpg

I asked my high school students why she was important today. Most didn't have a clue.
    My answer (to keep it brief):
    • She formed the British Commonwealth of nations which formed partnerships and helped each other with housing, schools, medical assistance (strength in numbers), Commonwealth games, etc
    • She recognized the negative impact of colonialism & encouraged nations to become independent (to draft constitutions that were beneficial to human rights), she ratified many.
    • She was crowned in 1952 when most world leaders were men & was seen as an intelligent female head of state. The respect she demanded helped foster attitude changes & paradigm shifts that were critical to the success of the women's movement
    • (I didn't get into the stability of the crown, the fact that she led by example & was always somebody people looked up to & admired).

Draft saved Draft deleted