Paper Money: New Acquisitions

Discussion in 'Paper Money' started by Dr Kegg, Dec 16, 2010.

1. rev1774

rev1774 Well-Known Member

Couple of other recent buys... the 1899 Silver is raw... s-l16.jpg s-l160.jpg s-l1600a.jpg s-l1600B.jpg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. rev1774

4. rev1774

5. Kashmir Pulaski

Kashmir Pulaski Well-Known Member

I just got this today from a monthly club ... 2000 Uzbekistan SO'M (18¢ usd.)

In the Soviet Union, speakers of Kazakh, Kyrgyz and Uzbek called the ruble the som, and this name appeared written on the back of banknotes, among the texts for the value of the bill in all 15 official languages of the Union. The word som (sometimes transliterated "sum" or "soum") means "pure" in Kyrgyz, Uyghur and Uzbek, as well as in many other Turkic languages. The word implies "pure gold”.

Uzbekistan bill face.jpeg Uzbekistan bill back.jpeg

6. BasSWarwick

BasSWarwick Well-Known Member

That is a very attractive note, - in fact the whole 2021 series is very nice. Probably cheap enough to pick up the other 5 to make a complete set.

Kashmir Pulaski likes this.
  7. Kashmir Pulaski

The 18¢ I referenced in my post was the usd. equivalent. The note itself would probably cost around 50¢ out in the market retail.

Right now with NO work involved I could order a 2021 Uzbekistan 5,000 Sum Banknote for <$2, a 2021 Uzbekistan 10,000 Som Banknote for <$2.50 and a 2019 Uzbekistan 100,000 Som Banknote for <$20.

edit (LOL):
    I just found the 6-pc set for $43 w/ $5 shipping.

I'm generally rather weak in the pricing/negotiating department. I don’t really haggle as much as either say “Thank You” and pay or “Thank You” and walk away.

BasSWarwick likes this.
  8. ColonialCoinsUK

ColonialCoinsUK Well-Known Member

Another dual denomination from Chile - 20 Pesos/2 Condores. Does anyone know whether the garden/statue on the back is a specific place or just a general representation?
    MCChil016-20P-2con-P93b-PMG64-F-crop.jpg MCChil016-20P-2con-P93b-PMG64-B-crop.jpg

9. Notaphylic_C

Notaphylic_C Well-Known Member

I just checked my SCWPM & your 20 Pesos is P-93b & features a portrait of captain Valdivia but the back is described simply as "statue in park with trees & building in centre." It would be nice to know if it was taken from a government building park in Santiago (or some other significant area).

BasSWarwick likes this.
  10. ColonialCoinsUK

Thanks - I saw this, from @redlock at CCF ''statue of Don Pedro de Valdivia and castle, on Santa Lucia Hill in Santiago.'' which makes sense given he is the chap on the front. He seems to have had quite a life!

BasSWarwick likes this.
  11. BasSWarwick

12. Endeavor

Endeavor Well-Known Member

Been a while. Hope all is well with y'all. Got my first non-EPQ note. I thought it was too good to pass up with the combination of Nunerical seal and low 3 digit serial number. P795 (IG).jpg

13. rev1774

So, how much does a three digit serial number add to the value of a note like this?
    I'm guessing a 2 digit serial would add even more?

14. Endeavor

I really don't know how much it adds dollar-wise but I know it makes it more desirable when compared to a note with a larger serial than 3 digits, all else being equal.

2 digits is usually more valuable. I would say always more valuable, but someone might want to fight me on that lol.

15. rev1774

I sort of thought it would at least add a bit more.. I would guess the closer to a single digit number one gets the more it's most likely worth...

Endeavor likes this.
  16. Endeavor

Yes. I agree. I just don't like "talking" in absolutes because technically one could say it's whatever someone is willing to pay. But yes, 99% of the time the note with lower serial will fetch a higher sale price.

17. rev1774

PMG1860387-012_REV@700X200.jpg PMG1860387-012_OBV@700X200.jpg
    Just picked this one up, seems a nice honest star note...
    The photos on pmg's site are better than the sellers..

18. ColonialCoinsUK

My first note from Colombia :D Added to the collection for the statues on the back from the San Augustin Archeological Park - a place it would be great to be able to visit one day!

MCCol001-10Poro-P407g-PMG68-F-crop.jpg MCCol001-10Poro-P407g-PMG68-B-crop.jpg

19. Kashmir Pulaski

OK ... I just got this today ... the 2018 Bank Note of Year ...

Canada $10 poly 1.jpeg Canada $10 poly 2.jpeg
    The International Bank Note Society (IBNS) announced that its voting membership has selected the Bank of Canada to receive its prestigious “Bank Note of the Year Award” for 2018. Almost from the start, Canada’s new vertically oriented $10 bill dominated the voting. This was the fifth consecutive polymer containing note to win the coveted IBNS Bank Note of the Year Award.
    When the Bank of Canada announced the release of this note on November 19, 2018, they said they were going in “a new direction.” Polymer replaced paper on Canadian banknotes several years ago but this is the first vertical format note for them. The face of the note features the portrait of social justice icon Viola Desmond while the back depicts the Canadian Museum for Human Rights in Winnipeg, Manitoba. Printed by the Canadian Bank Note Company in the same distinct purple color as the previous horizontal format $10 polymer note, this note is just fractionally larger than neighboring United States currency bills. Incorporating the latest in technological standards, the bold security features are easy to check and difficult to counterfeit. Canada plans “to issue a new denomination every few years” and the Bank of Canada has confirmed the next four notes in this series will also use the vertical format.

KSorbo, Paddy54, Endeavor and 2 others like this.
  20. BasSWarwick

I've always admired that note.​

Kashmir Pulaski likes this.
  21. Notaphylic_C

Notaphylic_C Well-Known Member

Just one year before this note was issued we got this "150" commemorative $10 (celebrating our 150 years as a nation):
    CDF Front.jpg CDF1029923_r.jpg

Only 6 prefixes & 50,000,000 in total for the limited series. The CDF was the last (& short) prefix.

Then the 2018 vertical note showed up but you will still see more of these 2013 versions:
    FTN2027960_R.jpg

In the 4 years since the 2018 arrived, 13 prefixes have been released. Its been like watching paint dry since the banks have only allowed a trickle of the new notes to refresh the old tattered ones & Canadians don't use much cash these days (least of all the $10 note).

Draft saved Draft deleted