Paper Money: New Acquisitions

Discussion in 'Paper Money' started by Dr Kegg, Dec 16, 2010.

1. scottishmoney

scottishmoney Buh bye

The reason the earlier notes, ie Series 1923 and before were payable in "One Silver Dollar" had to do more with the fact that a silver dollar actually had more silver in it than the sum of the fractional coins that you could have to make a dollar in value with. A silver dollar has .7735 oz of silver vs. the fractional coins ie dime, quarter, and half having a net weight of .7234 oz of silver.

With the Series 1935 the phrase was changed to One Dollar In Silver because the law had been changed on what legally had to back a silver certificate so that the only guarantee was that you would get $1 in silver coin - which in reality you were likely to only get .7234 oz because silver dollars were last minted in small numbers in 1935.

capthank likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. ewomack

ewomack 魚の下着

Another Chinese note, this one is dated 2015, which I believe is the most recent circulating series, at least for this denomination.

China_100_Yuan_2015_01.png China_100_Yuan_2015_02.png

4. mpcusa

mpcusa "Official C.T. TROLL SWEEPER"

Very nice, thanks for sharing :)

5. TheGame

TheGame Well-Known Member

Couple cheap ones I needed for a series set:

SAM_6629.JPG SAM_6630.JPG

6. ewomack

ewomack 魚の下着

A reasonably priced and pretty decent 1928 Gold Certificate just arrived today:

1928_10Dollar_GoldCert_01.png
    1928_10Dollar_GoldCert_02.png

7. ewomack

ewomack 魚の下着

2018 China Commemorative 50 Yuan note for the 70th anniversary of the Renminbi

China_50_Yuan_2018_01.png China_50_Yuan_2018_02.png

SteveInTampa and Bradley Trotter like this.
  8. Bradley Trotter

Bradley Trotter Well-Known Member

Here's a pair of recent acquisitions from a defunct local bank that I'm quite excited about.

1852 $2 The Exchange Bank of Tennessee at Murfreesboro

1852 $2 Exchange Bank of Murfreesboro TN OBV.jpg
    1852 $2 Exchange Bank of Murfreesboro TN REV.jpg

1856 $1 The Exchange Bank of Tennessee at Murfreesboro

1856 $1 Exchange Bank of Murfreesboro OBV_000080.png 1856 $1 Exchange Bank of Murfreesboro REV_000081.png

9. potty dollar 1878

potty dollar 1878 Well-Known Member

Got this from the store today 20210422_175522.jpg 20210422_175543.jpg

masterswimmer and SteveInTampa like this.
  10. hotwheelsearl

hotwheelsearl Well-Known Member

That’s pretty cool

potty dollar 1878 likes this.
  11. Skippy Topaz

Skippy Topaz PAPERBOY

Recently picked up this 12 1/2 Cent Obsolete note mostly because of it’s unique denomination… not sure if it qualifies as an Obsolete or as a Fractional (or both, though it's a full size note, not fractional size) but it’s different than the other notes in my collection as it kind of goes against most of the things that attract me to obsoletes (which is the beautiful designs and ornate artwork on a lot of them) but 12 1/2 cents is such an odd number for currency and I’d never seen one before and had to add it to the collection.

It’s dated 1841 which makes it 180 years old, which also really cool.. It turns out that in 1841 we had three U.S. presidents.. Martin Van Buren finished his term and then William Henry Harrison took over but died a month later from pneumonia, so John Tyler took over. So, in one year we had our 8th, 9th and 10th Presidents.

1841 was also the year the Supreme Court ruled on the AMISTAD rebellion, Edgar Allen Poe’s “Murder in the Rue Morgue” was published and became recognized as the first significant work of Detective Fiction, Fordham University was established, the city of Dallas was founded, Samuel Adams was murdered, the concept of Probation was developed in Boston for lesser offenders, Whitman’s Chocolate Company opened it’s doors and the first self-propelled Steam Pumper Fire Engine was built in New York.. a lot happened that year while this note was in circulation.. pretty cool. :)

12-Cent-Note-1841.jpg

12. SteveInTampa

SteveInTampa Always Learning

Cool note Skippy. They also have a 25 and 50 cent note. All three are fairly inexpensive.

xCoin-Hoarder'92x likes this.
  13. Bradley Trotter

Bradley Trotter Well-Known Member

Not to mention there was a bank in Baltimore, MD, that issued 6 1/4 cent banknotes (maybe @SteveInTampa could correct me on the specifics). Regardless, if you're looking for odd denominations based on the 8-Reales coin, it would be another interesting note to add to your collection.

80A86842-EA30-4E8C-B8A0-DEB8E6A16F58.jpeg

14. SteveInTampa

SteveInTampa Always Learning

Baltimore 6 1/4 and 12 1/2 cent notes. (Not my notes)

B950A63A-A0F5-4E9F-A662-52F7FC6EAAB6.jpeg

15. Skippy Topaz

Skippy Topaz PAPERBOY

Thanks for the tip on those notes... really cool :)

It seems so strange that a note could be worth 6 1/4 cents.. did they ever mint a 1/4 cent coin? I thought the Half-Cent was the smallest ever minted.. How would you spend such a thing and get change?

16. TheGame

TheGame Well-Known Member

Spanish reales were legal tender at the time. 6 1/4 cents was equivalent to a half real, and change could be made that way.

17. techwriter

techwriter Well-Known Member

Though not quite a new acquisition, the multiple languages make it real conversation piece.
    canada_15Pence_1837_champlain-stlawrenceRR_face.jpg

18. mpcusa

mpcusa "Official C.T. TROLL SWEEPER"

That’s beyond cool, like the fraction as part
    of the amount very odd ball...LOL

19. Skippy Topaz

Skippy Topaz PAPERBOY

Wow, I didn't know that. Just looked it up and learned that the Spanish Real was the coin that U.S. Dollar was based on.. had no idea..

It also appears that's why they designed the San Antonio Quarter the way they did. Learned so much today :)

san-antonio-real.jpg

lordmarcovan likes this.
  20. scottishmoney

scottishmoney Buh bye

northern£51976fr.jpg northern£51976rv.jpg

Northern Ireland ~ Northern Bank £5 1976. Printed by Bradbury Wilkinson, the British subsidiary of American Banknote Company. Most notes issued during "The Troubles" are very minimalist in design - obviously a reflection of the situation there with the conflict betwixt the Nationalists and the Unionists.

21. potty dollar 1878

potty dollar 1878 Well-Known Member

Draft saved Draft deleted