Paper Money: New Acquisitions

Discussion in 'Paper Money' started by Dr Kegg, Dec 16, 2010.

1. ewomack

ewomack 魚の下着

Another 1960s Series 3 China bill arrived. This is the largest of the series and shows the Tienanmen Square Forbidden City gate prior to the Mao portrait. I should probably rephotograph it, because it actually has a more whitish color than the pictures suggest.

China_10_Yuan1965_01.png
    China_10_Yuan1965_02.png

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Kashmir Pulaski

Kashmir Pulaski Well-Known Member

A few pages back Molon Labe presented us his beautiful graded "Barr" note. I have the whole 5-note set. They're not graded but they are clean and crispy. The guy wanted $20 for the set but he gave them to me for $16, sleeves included.

thumbnail-2.jpeg thumbnail-3.jpeg thumbnail-4.jpeg thumbnail-5.jpeg thumbnail-6.jpeg

ewomack and Bradley Trotter like this.
  4. SteveInTampa

SteveInTampa Always Learning

Nice set and great price, but a complete set is a dozen notes.
    94969B65-2014-4968-BEB4-D2761C7B1958.jpeg EB059517-C603-4C41-AE3B-35BE388FC16A.jpeg 0959ACD3-4FA1-4B46-A81D-6AB78AE1807D.jpeg F37CEC27-5B3A-47C2-BE61-262015090473.jpeg

5. Kashmir Pulaski

OK ... Please Steve, explain for me the difference, other than the stars, of your extra notes that make the set complete. I was completely unaware.

TIA.​

6. Bradley Trotter

Bradley Trotter Well-Known Member

Last edited: Feb 28, 2021
  7. Kashmir Pulaski

So then are you saying that the additional "star" notes make it a set of 12?

8. Bradley Trotter

I apologize for initially giving you wrong information, @Kashmir Pulaski, as I was wrong in my original post. The 1963-B $1 note was only issued by five federal reserve districts. Regardless, @SteveInTampa should be able to provide you with a more concrete answer. However, I believe he might have been referring to the different print-runs and star notes.

Last edited: Feb 28, 2021
    Kashmir Pulaski likes this.
  9. SteveInTampa

My bad. It’s actually 13 notes that makeup a Block Set. I left out the Kansas City note.

BD766D86-00A9-4F84-8091-9CF177E6D2E6.jpeg

10. Kashmir Pulaski

OK ... So please explain.

Why 13 instead of my original 5?
    What makes the additional 8 any different, outside of the stars?

11. SteveInTampa

Some collectors assemble Block sets. The term block refers to the combination of the Prefix letter and the Suffix letter. The note I just posted above is a J-C Block note.

12. Kashmir Pulaski

So basically there are 5 notes with a bunch of variations.

13. SteveInTampa

Yes, 5 Districts. New York, Richmond, Chicago, Kansas City and San Francisco. This is considered low. Most series have all 12 Districts represented and many more blocks.

14. Bradley Trotter

I blame @ewomack for this recent impulse purchase of mine. Although I must say, I really like this note and its subject matter, and even better, it was only a few dollars.

Macedonia - 50 denarii, 2018

Macedonia 50 Denari Reverse_000040.png Macedonia 50 Denari _000039.png

Last edited: Mar 2, 2021
  15. mpcusa

mpcusa "Official C.T. TROLL SWEEPER"

The colors are fantastic ! :)

Bradley Trotter likes this.
  16. ewomack

ewomack 魚の下着

A few more arrivals. Yes, I currently have a fascination with Chinese currency.

50th anniversary commemorative for the founding of the People's Republic of China. At least people in China can now criticize some of Mao's excesses, unless that's recently changed. It was surprising when a woman from China I once knew said openly to me "Mao was bad!" But she also told me that she would feel very uncomfortable talking about the current president. I guess you take what you can get.

China_50_Yuan_1999_01.png
    China_50_Yuan_1999_02.png

In stark contrast to the 1960s issues, this 1999 note is HUGE - it takes up around 2/3 of a holder designed for large size US bills.

Suriname, 2000. I needed the toucan. That's all I can say.

Suriname_25_Gulden_2000_01.png
    Suriname_25_Gulden_2000_02.png

17. TheGame

TheGame Well-Known Member

SAM_6477.JPG
    SAM_6478.JPG

The 2018 and 2019 Indian 1 Rupee notes are a new variety, with the date in the design rather than at the bottom of the reverse. Neither are available on US ebay yet, so I got a pack from India. First time I've ever bought internationally.

18. mpcusa

mpcusa "Official C.T. TROLL SWEEPER"

Those are really cool, thanks for sharing :)

19. JPD3

JPD3 Well-Known Member

My adopted brother is Chinese (has duel citizenship now). He said it is okay to talk down former administrations to a degree, but never the current leaders and politicos. Quite often a team of officials "would like to have a moment of your time and have you explain your disenchantment with the People's Party". Oh, and he said Confucius may be debated, but just as long the current regime's view is not slighted by his sayings.
    upload_2021-3-10_22-18-41.png

ewomack likes this.
  20. Bradley Trotter

Imperial Russia - 20 Rubles, 1917

Imperial Russia - 20 Rubles, 1917 Reduced Size.png Imperial Russia - 20 Rubles, 1917 Reverse_000063.png

21. lettow

lettow Senior Member

This note was not issued in Imperial Russia. Note the double headed eagle without crowns. It was issued by the Provisional Government of Alexander Kerensky.

JPD3 and Bradley Trotter like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted