Paper Money: New Acquisitions

Discussion in 'Paper Money' started by Dr Kegg, Dec 16, 2010.

1. GoldFinger1969

GoldFinger1969 Well-Known Member

If the MPC's don't say the year they were issued, the TPG needs to put that on the slab. :mad:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. lettow

lettow Senior Member

The TPGs cannot get the information they do show on the label right. It is a position number, not a plate number.

GoldFinger1969 likes this.
  4. mpcusa

mpcusa "Official C.T. TROLL SWEEPER"

Was actually just comparing the grade in general, but here,s some additional
    Info, Series 461 issued march 10, 1947 and withdrawn March 22, 1948

Areas of use, and there was allot !

Austria, Belgium, England, France, Germany , Greece, Hungary, Iceland, Italy
    Japan, Korea, Morocco , Netherlands, Philippines, Ryukyas, Scotland, Trieste
    and Yougoslavia

With the exception of a few series the $5 is always top dog in the rarity department

5. Endeavor

Endeavor Well-Known Member

6. mpcusa

Rickey would be proud to know you have a part of his collection :)

Endeavor likes this.
  7. SteveInTampa

SteveInTampa Always Learning

Once again @mpcusa , these are not from former member RickeyB. They are from Dave & Brenda Rickey of DBR Currency.

8. Wingnut6999

Wingnut6999 Currency loving custodian

Mail call today from last week's spending spree. 1839, 1914, 1917. 20200302_132212.jpg 20200302_132130.jpg 20200302_132102.jpg 20200302_132314.jpg 20200302_132242.jpg

9. Endeavor

10. Endeavor

Hi there mpcusa. Thanks for the likes and nice words. As previously mentioned by @SteveInTampa the Rickey on the label is not former member RickeyB. It is from Dave Rickey who is an entirely different person. In any regard thanks again for the likes and kind words.

Last edited: Mar 7, 2020
    GoldFinger1969 and SteveInTampa like this.
  11. Endeavor

12. mpcusa

Super nice, low serial examples :) congrats on the pick ups.

GoldFinger1969 and Endeavor like this.
  13. Endeavor

14. SteveInTampa

Beautiful mid-grade examples with original paper. Congratulations @Endeavor.

15. masterswimmer

masterswimmer A Caretaker, can't take it with me

Steve, new to currency collecting here. I'm trying to learn as much as I can before diving into bigger purchases. What exactly does 'original paper' mean? Isn't every note that isn't counterfeit original paper? I can understand EPQ and PPQ, but original paper is new to me. Thanks in advance for the 411.

16. mpcusa

Here,s a good explanation from (PMG)

EPQ
    An Exceptional Paper Quality (EPQ) note is, in the opinion of PMG graders, completely original. EPQ notes will not have been physically, chemically, or materially processed to give the appearance of a higher grade. Notes exhibiting normal wear-and-tear for their grade are eligible. All notes graded Very Fine 25 and higher will be evaluated for the EPQ designation. Notes must qualify for the EPQ designation to grade Gem Uncirculated 65 and higher.

PMG assigns the PMG Star () Designation to notes with exceptional eye appeal for their assigned grade.

While eye appeal is one of the most subjective characteristics of notes, there are general standards which numismatists typically use to define exceptional eye appeal. To receive a from PMG, notes must exhibit exceptionally strong plate and / or overprint embossing, vibrant ink color, and pristine paper quality exceeding the well-established standards used to determine the Exceptional Paper Quality (EPQ) Designation.

All US and world notes are automatically evaluated for the distinction of the PMG Star () Designation. Notes that do not qualify for the EPQ Designation will be disqualified from receiving the Star Designation.

It is important to note that the is assigned irrespective of the note’s numeric grade. For example, a PMG Gem Uncirculated 65 may be at the low, middle or high end of the PMG Gem Uncirculated 65 grade.

Notes graded PMG Gem Uncirculated 70 must also qualify for the PMG Star () and EPQ Designations.

PPQ basically the same except it,s a PCGS grading product, though they didnt
    have the (STAR) designation.

17. Endeavor

Not Steve and I'll let him answer for himself, but the EPQ/PPQ designation is given when the paper looks and feels original. That is that it hasn't been pressed or faded and in many cases still has crispness.

18. SteveInTampa

Original paper to me means just honest wear without distractions. No repairs, no cleaning, no pressing, no annotations, no tears, no pinholes, no stains, no trimming, no improvements of any kind.

Back in the day, some dealers and collectors wanted clean, fold-free, perfectly flat notes. A natural paper wave was not desirable so notes were cleaned and pressed. Pinholes were closed, edges were trimmed to create sharp corners. Everything and anything was done to improve the eye appeal of the note. I’ve even heard of dealers re-drawing serial numbers and signatures.

GoldFinger1969 and masterswimmer like this.
  19. masterswimmer

20. mpcusa

Anytime, always here to throw in my two cents...LOL

21. masterswimmer

Make them flying eagles please!

Draft saved Draft deleted