Paper Money: New Acquisitions

Discussion in 'Paper Money' started by Dr Kegg, Dec 16, 2010.

1. Bradley Trotter

Bradley Trotter Well-Known Member

Fr 1929-K* $1 FRN star note PCGS 66PPQ 2003 $1 Obverse _000005.jpg 2003 $1 Reverse_000006.jpg

MEC2, Mountain Man and SteveInTampa like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. GoldFinger1969

GoldFinger1969 Well-Known Member

Just picked this up in the last week....paid a premium to get it but hadn't seen any older bills with a SN this low. You get into the single-digits and you start approaching $1,000 or more. So I pounced.

Attached Files:

gronnh20, Michael K and Mountain Man like this.
  4. GoldFinger1969

As with before, can someone tell me why this doesn't grade even higher ?

5. SteveInTampa

SteveInTampa Always Learning

I feel just the opposite. The 66PPQ was plenty generous. Cool serial number but the margins are too uneven to merit 66, in my opinion.

GoldFinger1969 likes this.
  6. GoldFinger1969

Are you saying that the left and right and top and bottom borders are all supposed to be equal ? Ideally yes, but is that likely ?

The Left is a bit wider, but the other 3 all look about the same.

But unless one of them had the bill itself almost flush left/right/top/bottom.....should 1 millimeter really knock you down a few grades ?

7. SteveInTampa

SteveInTampa Always Learning

Look how nice the margins look on @Bradley Trotter ’s 2003 FRN Ace in the post above yours. The difference is remarkable. Both 66’s.

8. Mountain Man

Mountain Man Well-Known Member

Finally! I won an auction for this Hawaii note on Jan. 30th and just now got it. The seller sent this bill to winner of another auction and sent me their item, a civil war token. It has taken this long for the seller to arrange getting the bill back and sent to me.

Hawaii $1 Cert..jpg

Hawaii $1 Cert back.jpg

9. MEC2

MEC2 Enormous Member

Today's new pickup is a note that took a while to get, this 1923 $5 porthole silver certificate. Always in demand, I like the bold engraving on this circulated example, has all the elements just like I like them...

upload_2019-4-12_17-26-9.png

upload_2019-4-12_17-27-27.png

10. Michael K

Michael K Well-Known Member

The low serial SC is very nice, and I can click the thumb nails.
    But please use the full image choice when uploading photos.

11. GoldFinger1969

Thanks MK.....I tried to, is it that much better/easier for you viewers ? I think the pics upload instantly from thumbnails (at least on my end they do).

Maybe not on a smartphone ?

Michael K likes this.
  12. Michael K

Michael K Well-Known Member

I've never had a cell phone.
    Stubbornorus Dinosaurus

GoldFinger1969 and Zeppo Shanski like this.
  13. MEC2

MEC2 Enormous Member

Sometimes I feel like an animal shelter taking in unwanted and abused pets, this note here is no exception. The Hancock series $2 I feel is a seriously underrated design. Love the engraving on the United States here and that bushy moustache of Hancock says 'give it a tumble sport, and I'll put a boot in your ass'. As rough as it is the seal pops like crazy on here. The price was terribly low so I gave it a home, might work it into the wallet rotation...

upload_2019-4-13_12-50-27.png

upload_2019-4-13_12-53-1.png

14. Harry Brown

Harry Brown Active Member

15. Harry Brown

Harry Brown Active Member

My attachments seem to have disappeared 1899 PMG 45b.jpg 1899 PMG 45a.jpg ...

16. GoldFinger1969

Actually, taking another look, the margin differences are easier to see on my blow-up pics above than when I look at the actual bill. It's a bit more noticeable.

17. Wingnut6999

Wingnut6999 Currency loving custodian

While looking at an antique shop in Fredericksburg VA a couple weeks ago, I picked up this 57b, thinking I had bought the 57b star a month before. Not interested in doing the whole 57 series just thought it would be a nice matching set. Get home to find out I have the 57a star. Dam old brain. 20190414_123054.jpg 20190414_123126.jpg

18. MEC2

MEC2 Enormous Member

Fantastic Black Eagle Harry...

Another dog has come to the pound, this another design that is slightly underrated (though not as badly as the Hancock SC, and with a far more boring reverse than the Hancock).

Another candidate for wallet carry, I am fairly positive I saw these notes and said "yeah, I can carry that, and if I lose it, won't be too upset, and it's not like I'm gonna add wear and tear to it and reduce the grade..."

upload_2019-4-14_12-9-29.png

upload_2019-4-14_12-12-3.png

19. Rhino89

Rhino89 "Roubles"

@MEC2 , I'm always impressed to see the wide variety of old American banknotes you pick up regularly. Where do most of your pickups come from, if I may ask? Meaning, is it local auctions around you, online auctions, ebay? Just curious.

20. GoldFinger1969

Wingnut, anythng special about that 1957B SC ? Was it graded ?

I inherited a few dozen 1957's that I put into plastic sheets...some/most of them would certainly grade as Gem CU and maybe highere, but given what they sell for in anything less than a 68 grade I'm not sure I can justify the cost. In fact, I sometimes wonder why/how people get any bills graded that are worth less than $50.

21. Wingnut6999

Wingnut6999 Currency loving custodian

Nothing special, not graded just in excellent shape. Only paid 8 bucks

Draft saved Draft deleted