Paper Money: New Acquisitions

Discussion in 'Paper Money' started by Dr Kegg, Dec 16, 2010.

1. SteveInTampa

SteveInTampa Always Learning

You’re right...if it wasn’t for the red serial number, I wouldn’t know the front from the back.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. hotwheelsearl

hotwheelsearl Well-Known Member

I have one in VERY rough condition, but I still had to pay a lot for it. Not one of my finer purchases.

I initially thought that the figure on the left of the obverse was a boy, but then upon closer inspection the figure seemed a bit too well endowed for a male.

Then again, she's also a bit not-endowed-enough for a full grown woman, so I think at this point the FBI is looking for me...

img194.jpg
    img195.jpg

4. NickJersey

NickJersey Well-Known Member

Bought this dollar out of my register on Friday. Not in great shape but I have never seen one like this before.

Looks normal on the front:

IMG_20190210_120909729.jpg

But when you look at the back...

IMG_20190210_121111.jpg

Rough shape but I thought it was pretty cool

ValpoBeginner and hotwheelsearl like this.
  5. Zeppo Shanski

Zeppo Shanski Active Member

6. Zeppo Shanski

Zeppo Shanski Active Member

7. hotwheelsearl

Sometimes you get something and you wonder why. That's the case with this Japan 50 sen.
    Poor condition, poor design, poor use of my hard earned money

img259.jpg
    img260.jpg

ValpoBeginner and Zeppo Shanski like this.
  8. MEC2

MEC2 Enormous Member

I like the front of that Japanese note, only you can know if it is worth what you paid...

Today's new pickup is this numeric seal 1928 $20 from the Philly District. Trying to collect all 12 districts in nice shape, only Boston has evaded me to this point, why oh why is it so hard to get... little tear on the top right, faces up nice but darn, why aren't people more careful with their money...

upload_2019-2-10_15-3-14.png

upload_2019-2-10_15-4-4.png

9. hotwheelsearl

Uzbekistan has some BEAUTIFUL notes. Absolutely gorgeous colors on these guys. I would highly recommend getting a full set of these for anybody interested in colorful notes. It costs like $10 for a full set of like 8 or so of these things.

Here's 200 Som, which converts to absolutely nothing in USD.
    img164.jpg
    img165.jpg

Zeppo Shanski, Endeavor and Michael K like this.
  10. Endeavor

Endeavor Well-Known Member

11. MEC2

MEC2 Enormous Member

Today's pickup is this rare $5 1929 Type II from Mount Jewett, Pennsylvania. All notes are rare on this bank, and this is the only Type II 5 - when you only have a handful of notes known, each one could be a one-of-a-kind. It sure traveled a long way and has the mileage to show but it's intact overall and was a big steal frankly when it came to me... and how many chances do you have get one? Answer - not that many...

upload_2019-2-11_14-13-48.png

upload_2019-2-11_14-19-24.png

12. hotwheelsearl

I believe this is Yugoslavian, 1000 dinars.
    I love this note because it is HUGE.
    They tried their best with the neoclassical figures, but it almost looks amateurish compared to the unparalleled master, ABNC.

This note also has the Devils Serial - 666.

img204.jpg
    img205.jpg

Zeppo Shanski and Endeavor like this.
  13. ValpoBeginner

ValpoBeginner Well Known Supporter

1957STARFront.jpg Picked this up at a jewelry store (Valentines Day shopping) today also a 57B SC $1Star. But the best thing was yet to come...

I started in on his stack of twos...

A two dollar US NOTE 1963 with my birthday this year in the serial #
    example
    AMMDD2019A

Month-M Day-D and this year

pretty cool when you find a currency and coin dealer who is off the map and he just happens to have my birthday note...I guess it was the right place to be...I've been looking for a bday note since I started collecting...so it was awesome.

anyone else found their bday possibly by accident?

hotwheelsearl and Endeavor like this.
  14. ValpoBeginner

ValpoBeginner Well Known Supporter

Cool Serbian note...from 1941

That guy plowing isn't even the least bit distracted by those good-lookin' women ....Russian culture of the time was already creeping into the memes of the regions art.

also kinda kind of puts across the message of the Garden of Eden theme....where the message is don't stray from your duties and be tempted by Eve.

perhaps it's too much thought for this hour of the night

Last edited: Feb 12, 2019
    hotwheelsearl likes this.
  15. hotwheelsearl

Feed me another beer and I can start going that direction lol

ValpoBeginner likes this.
  16. MEC2

MEC2 Enormous Member

Today's new pickup is this sprawling $5 obsolete from The Central Bank of Alabama. The engraving scene runs border to border on the horizontal, alot to look at. I like a big sprawling note, with some red overprint protectors added on for some snap...

upload_2019-2-12_14-28-10.png

17. hotwheelsearl

Here's another Japanese note from back in the day, 10 Yen this time.

It's got a pretty decent design
    img261.jpg
    img262.jpg

Endeavor and Zeppo Shanski like this.
  18. hotwheelsearl

Farmers Bank of China 5 Yuan.

This has a pretty neat split design on the front, with some daily life scenes.
    img264.jpg
    Nice cow on the reverse too.
    img265.jpg

Endeavor and Zeppo Shanski like this.
  19. MEC2

MEC2 Enormous Member

Today's new pickup is this 1873 obsolete note from the South Carolina Rail Road. Now, not currency as issued by a bank, many rail roads found their issues traded like currency in sort of a barter-as system - it isn't redeemable at a bank but you know, that railroad track likely isn't going anywhere, so Rail Road companies made really nice notes for fares that people held and traded at value. This ABNCo design is dynamite, I am definitely from the Sheldon Cooper school of trains are cool...

upload_2019-2-13_22-10-52.png

upload_2019-2-13_22-11-19.png

20. hotwheelsearl

Amazing note but one question:
    Its denominated "5". Five what? It states that it's good for 125 miles, so unless "1" equals 25 miles, I don't get it.

Why not just denominate it in 25 mile increments instead?

Unless it cost $5 to travel 125 miles. But that seems a bit much, as that inflates to $105 in 2019 dollars.
    It's 120 miles to LA from San Diego, and Amtrak costs $33 each direction, for a total of $66 round trip.

Was train travel almost twice as expensive then as it is now?

21. MEC2

MEC2 Enormous Member

Five nothing - it isn't currency (likely not allowed to issue currency by state law), but issued by the railroad company knowing that it will circulate like currency, and done so with a number that roughly equates to the fare in hard currency. Some railroads did issue notes like scrip that indicated payable to the company, like some stores and other concerns did. South Carolina has a history of nice obsolete notes with messed up financial backing and issue premises...

Speaking of messed up financial backing, here's a Fed note... mostly joking of course, but this nice lime green $1934 star note is no joke, nice example with a bit of circulation but alot of good bones overall. Only thing better than a LGS note is an LGS star note...

upload_2019-2-14_14-39-43.png

upload_2019-2-14_14-40-46.png

ValpoBeginner and hotwheelsearl like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted