Paper Money: New Acquisitions

Discussion in 'Paper Money' started by Dr Kegg, Dec 16, 2010.

1. Dave L

Dave L Junior Member

Hey - I've got the cousin to your note, the $1 - First cousin twice removed, I guess.
    My vignette is from the War of 1812, featuring Gen Jackson reviewing the troops. I bet yours is a battle on the Great Lakes during the same time frame.
    I've always wondered if General Jackson was the first future president to be on a banknote, albeit a private banknote, in the U.S.

[​IMG]

http://banknoteden.com/USA Private ...rrency Jefferson Bank of New Salem, Ohio.html

George McClellan, MEC2 and Michael K like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. techwriter

techwriter Well-Known Member

Found in a "north of the border" auction
    canada_1935_$10_cdnbnkcommerce_751808a_face.jpg canada_1935_$10_cdnbnkcommerce_751808a_rev.jpg

4. Dave L

Dave L Junior Member

Jeez - trying to post things in a hurry at works always goes wrong. I swear I posted this and then saw it posted, but anyway...:

@MEC2 - the vignette of your banknote is actually from the war of 1812 - but in the year of 1813 - it is a depiction of the Battle of Lake Erie, the ship being the USS Lawrence, a brig commanded by Master Commandant (Later Commodore) Perry. The ship was taken by the British during the battle, but once they lost the battle, Perry got his brig back.
    FYI Master Commandant was a rank above Lieutenant in the early navy. It was later changed to Commander.

5. MEC2

MEC2 Enormous Member

Dave - definitely a better shape cousin to my note.

Today's new pickup is another $3 obsolete, this one an Ohio remainder from The Franklin Silk Company. Really nice design here, slightly translucent paper common for the time, a nice design for the era...

upload_2018-12-11_23-57-46.png

George McClellan and Michael K like this.
  6. MEC2

MEC2 Enormous Member

Today's new pickup is this modern ace, a courtesy autograph from Treasurer Mary Ellen Withrow. Apparently, Mary is quite the signatory as her name seems positively everywhere... I also have an uncut sheet of deuces she signed, all waiting in the scan box...

upload_2018-12-13_21-23-11.png

upload_2018-12-13_21-25-16.png

7. MEC2

MEC2 Enormous Member

Today's new pickup is this $4 1864 note from the State of Georgia. Now, I like the Georgia state releases from the Civil War era. Great designs, many denominations, highly collectible. And I love me a $4 bill, almost as much as $3, and even more unusual. This is a great design and a really nice example of the note to boot.

upload_2018-12-14_20-33-27.png

Michael K likes this.
  8. ValpoBeginner

ValpoBeginner Well Known Supporter

I like to do the same thing. I especially like your EK block example-One of the last few Series 2013 printed. I believe it was printed earlier this year before they started on the 2017's. (I started doing this due to the Robert Azpiazu book that was recommended, <perhaps by you> thanks)

Last edited: Dec 14, 2018
  9. ValpoBeginner

ValpoBeginner Well Known Supporter

Here's the bottom corner of a 32 subject sheet of 2013 $2's I ordered from the new Mint/BEP website. I framed them because it came rolled up in a tube, is that normal?

20181214_211500-01.jpeg

Bambam8778 likes this.
  10. MEC2

MEC2 Enormous Member

Today's new pickup is this ragged old 1914 FRN $5 New York red seal. The BEP got maximum miles out of this print, and red seals are pretty uncommon, so even in this condition, and with a hard to refuse price, I grabbed it. Sometimes, you have to give an ugly note a good home...

upload_2018-12-15_22-7-32.png

upload_2018-12-15_22-10-18.png

George McClellan and Michael K like this.
  11. Michael K

Michael K Well-Known Member

I don't find it ugly, and I like those 1914 reverses.

12. SteveInTampa

SteveInTampa Always Learning

I believe when @MEC2 says ugly, he’s referring to condition, not design.

13. stlnats

stlnats Active Member

I really like the format of the Canadian Bank of Commerce notes, perhaps because they remind me of 1882 NBNs. I've thought about getting some representative examples, but have resisted since it would likely become a new obsession and diversion from my core interests. Having currency OCD is tough!

14. Michael K

Michael K Well-Known Member

15. NickJersey

NickJersey Well-Known Member

Found this Radar note in circulation the other day... Usually just find "almost"

IMG_20181216_145931858_HDR.jpg

Larry E and SteveInTampa like this.
  16. SteveInTampa

Nice find. Looks to be in good shape too.

17. SteveInTampa

Yes, it’s normal. It’s been my experience that any generic sheet mailed to me from the BEP, above 5 notes, comes rolled up in a hard cardboard tube. Lucky Money 8-subject sheets and other collector items are an exception and are mailed flat.

ValpoBeginner likes this.
  18. MEC2

MEC2 Enormous Member

Today's new pickup is this $3 obsolete from the Bank of Florence, printed in what I believe was Nebraska Territory when it was printed. Three's are cool and territory notes are cool, so why not combine them? The entire run on this bank are nice notes to collect...

Radar notes... just don't get it. There are literally 10,000 in every note run. Solids, full ladders, yeah, but radar notes... a discussion for another day perhaps.

upload_2018-12-16_15-16-16.png

ValpoBeginner and SteveInTampa like this.
  19. SteveInTampa

Love the vignettes on that Florence $3.

I see at least four or five verses of “Old MacDonald had a Farm” .

20. Mountain Man

Mountain Man Well-Known Member

Is it unusual to not have the year and signatures written in?

George McClellan likes this.
  21. SteveInTampa

These are referred to as “Remainders” . Meaning left-over, non-issued Obsoletes. Some ended up being repurposed.

Draft saved Draft deleted