Paper Money: New Acquisitions

Discussion in 'Paper Money' started by Dr Kegg, Dec 16, 2010.

1. techwriter

techwriter Well-Known Member

Couple of weekend acquisitions
    FRN_1934_$20_Fr2054A-dgsm_mule_A29902100A_face.jpg FRN_1934_$20_Fr2054A-dgsm_mule_A29902100A_rev.jpg obs_NJ_18xx_$1_BankofNewBrunswick_remainder_face.jpg obs_NJ_18xx_$1_BankofNewBrunswick_remainder_rev.jpg
    == Just a note about the New Jersey obsolete; you know how I detest "under-loved" and "orphan" obsoletes just lying about with no bidding. Well, I brought
    this one home -- Just look at the vibrant colors on the reverse; and of course the train and other great vignettes on the face. Who can resist??:):happy:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. MEC2

MEC2 Enormous Member

Let's keep trudging through my endless backlog of new pickups shall we? Next in line is this 1902 $5 national from Crawfordsville, Indiana. Hard to think of a more small town name than Crawfordsville. You can see the little brick buildings, maybe they got a Woolworths to really anchor downtown to the map... probably has a clock tower in the city square, stopped because it was hit by lightning back in November of 1955...

upload_2018-11-27_22-48-28.png

upload_2018-11-27_22-50-12.png

KSorbo, Michael K and SteveInTampa like this.
  4. MEC2

MEC2 Enormous Member

Today's new pickup is this first series fractional 5-cent perforated note. I've got a pretty complete collection of issues but didn't have any perforated example, so now... I have one...

upload_2018-11-29_0-47-28.png
    upload_2018-11-29_0-47-35.png

5. techwriter

:) don't collect the fractionals but always enjoy seeing them.

6. MEC2

MEC2 Enormous Member

Today's new pickup is this $1 obsolete from the Central Bank of Tennessee. Looks like they're bringing the sugar harvest in on the large central vignette. Apparently the four horse wagon was popular with the designer because he threw a cover on it for the bottom left... though I think technically the center vignette is actually mules.

upload_2018-11-30_18-20-57.png

Bambam8778 and Michael K like this.
  7. SteveInTampa

SteveInTampa Always Learning

Nice additions everyone.

I’m not sure when I started, or even why, but I enjoy searching for CU examples of modern, low print run, obscure block $1’s. The 2013 $1’s had several. E-K, G-I, I-B and D-H are a few. I’ve found two, with two more to go.

404CC7D7-70E3-4EF2-AC89-2A70AD8324FF.jpeg 8F438F88-1276-4711-9331-6278BEDE9C1C.jpeg

8. MEC2

MEC2 Enormous Member

Today's new pickup is this spectacular design 5000 Lei note from Romania. This note, has a very nice design on the front but it's the gorgeous back that is the prize here. Printed in 1940 as Romania started to feel the strain of the power struggles in Eastern Europe and the impending war. It's quite a large note to boot, it's not small by any means... I saw this design and said, yes, precious, we must haves it...

upload_2018-12-1_12-38-57.png

upload_2018-12-1_12-40-44.png

Dave L, KSorbo and Michael K like this.
  9. MEC2

MEC2 Enormous Member

Today's new pickup is this $2 obsolete from the Bank of Morgan in Georgia. Collect these more than normal as it's my daughters name, this note has design elements galore, two different dogs, slaves with cotton, Ceres maybe flying with a cornucopia, a native warrior, big red overprint...

upload_2018-12-2_14-13-56.png

10. MEC2

MEC2 Enormous Member

Today's new pickup is one of my best gets... this original series ace from Orange County National Bank in Chelsea, Vermont. Alot of tape trying to keep this together, so what's the big deal? Only two notes known on this entire bank, and I have one of them, the other is a lazy deuce. A definite candidate for restoration, just need to know who can do it, it's been a struggle as I think this note is worth it due to rarity...

upload_2018-12-4_8-52-36.png

upload_2018-12-4_8-52-53.png

11. MEC2

MEC2 Enormous Member

Today's new pickup is an old note from Brazil, a well worn 1885 One Mil Reis note. Not available too often so beat up or not, I scored it... clearly the quality work of ABNCo...

upload_2018-12-7_16-30-23.png

upload_2018-12-7_16-30-38.png

Bambam8778, MitchBailey and Michael K like this.
  12. techwriter

13. SteveInTampa

Very respectable Thomas Treasury Note Les.

14. techwriter

Considering the $$$ I think it was just fine.

15. KSorbo

KSorbo Well-Known Member

Very nice for a VF20!

16. MEC2

MEC2 Enormous Member

I do like that Grumpy Cat note TW... solid for a 20 indeed.

Today's new pickup is this 1864 $100 from the State of Georgia. I like this series, they changed designs every year and there are slight differences between the denominations, and they are not too difficult to collect. Though the $500 is a bit of a chore...

upload_2018-12-8_19-52-26.png

Michael K likes this.
  17. Michael K

Michael K Well-Known Member

Star note on the Thomas? Interesting that it says: Five dollars in coin, as it sounds like coins in those days were more of the opinion of being real money than paper,
    and today I think it's the opposite.

18. SteveInTampa

An obscure block from series 1988A. A pivotal series for $1’s. The new Western Currency Facility cranks up in Fort Worth and DC gets a new toy called the WEB press. Between the two facilities they turn out over 15 billion aces. This block had a paltry 6.4M printed with few survivors in CU condition.

7B551766-0517-47A9-8DE3-98D8FDE474F7.jpeg

19. MEC2

MEC2 Enormous Member

MK - not a star note, stars were incorporated in the serial number display for a great many large size notes early on, they are all over them. Replacement stars came later to large size notes, 1910 was the first year but they appeared on older series notes that printed past the series date, so like the 1899 Black Eagle has stars starting with FR229 Vernon McClung...

And God yes, coins were real money back then, paper was suspect as hell, after all, it's just paper...

Today's new pickup is this obsolete $10 from the Bank of Augusta in Georgia. A slightly more interesting layout, it's these obsolete notes from this banking era of bank closures, frauds, and counterfeits that made coins so much more desirable than paper money, and why often old notes get stamped at redemption stating they were paid at less than face ... I think the blue stamp here is a redemption stamp but I cannot read it...

upload_2018-12-9_12-11-56.png

Michael K likes this.
  20. Michael K

Michael K Well-Known Member

Yes I wasn't sure. And the star comes after the serial which seemed unusual. Thanks.

21. MEC2

MEC2 Enormous Member

Today's new pickup is another obsolete, this one a very early 1810's Ohio obsolete $3 note. Now $3 are my sweet spot for obsoletes, just love the denomination because it's so oddball, but still accessible, and they don't get too much earlier than 1817. Typical design for the time, don't know what battle is being depicted, but if you guys are gonna try to board the USS Mmmerica from the port side, you're gonna need a bigger boat...

upload_2018-12-10_15-22-30.png

Dave L, SteveInTampa and Michael K like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted