Paper Money: New Acquisitions

Discussion in 'Paper Money' started by Dr Kegg, Dec 16, 2010.

1. techwriter

techwriter Well-Known Member

Couple nice notes found lurking about
    star_FRN_1950D_$5_Fr1965Ex_E11483564x_face.jpg FRN_1950A_$10_Fr2011A_A01085585B_face.jpg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. techwriter

These sort of speak for themselves:
    FRBN_1918_$1_Fr708_A2815584A_face.jpg FRBN_1918_$1_Fr708_A2815584A_rev.jpg FRBN_1918_$1_Fr733_H21839317A_face.jpg FRBN_1918_$1_Fr733_H21839317A_rev.jpg

KSorbo, Bambam8778, Endeavor and 6 others like this.
  4. SteveInTampa

SteveInTampa Always Learning

Pretty notes @techwriter. I bet they’re even nicer in hand.

It’s the sweet spot for paper money currently, (EF - AU) where price and eye appeal meet ideally.

5. techwriter

They are indeed really nice "up close and personal". I'll have a couple more to share next week;

6. MEC2

MEC2 Enormous Member

Well I'm back from Australia and it's time to start posting new pickups, if only until I forget to again...so let's start with this small denomination 1946 One Korun note from the former Czechoslovakia. Considering it's post war, I kinda dig the design on this note. It's not an Alphonse Mucha note but many Czech non-Mucha notes still have that look and feel to them. I like it...

upload_2018-11-15_22-7-54.png

upload_2018-11-15_22-8-25.png

7. Michael K

Michael K Well-Known Member

1961 looks better in hand
    C4.png

KSorbo, Bambam8778, Endeavor and 2 others like this.
  8. MEC2

MEC2 Enormous Member

I have a bit of a Czech collection, even though this is post war and post war notes tend to suck I like some of the Czech ones and have this one as well. The castle with Charles River bridge is always a quality vignette...

Today's new pickup is another note from the Anglosphere, this one a 1932 one pound note from the North of Scotland Bank. Aberdeen - well that is the North of Scotland...

Nice blue and yellow coloring and quality engraving elements here. You don't often get alot of yellow on banknotes so this pop of color is quite pleasing, and with the spirograph blue elements, just a nice design...

upload_2018-11-18_8-58-11.png

upload_2018-11-18_8-58-35.png

9. techwriter

A real surprise, early Christmas present
    brownback_1882_$5_Fr466_D642133D_face.jpg brownback_1882_$5_Fr466_D642133D_rev.jpg

10. techwriter

This was just sitting in the auction like a lost orphan with no bids; so I decided to give it a home.
    SC_1953_$10_A01827434A_face.jpg SC_1953_$10_A01827434A_rev.jpg

11. Michael K

Too bad all there is, is a LIKE button. That first one ($5 Nat currency 1882)
    is quite spectacular.

12. techwriter

I truly believe were it not for the 'severe' folding on the reverse the note might have had a bit higher grade. But I'll keep it !!:)

13. Michael K

I saw that, but the note itself is a beauty.

14. SteveInTampa

Beautiful Brown Back Les !

Super low charter number and bold signatures.

15. techwriter

This one has a new home :)
    canada_18xx_$1_colonialbankofcanada_EPN_face.jpg

KSorbo, Bambam8778, Endeavor and 2 others like this.
  16. Michael K

We don't know the year? What is the era?

17. techwriter

Well, a little history:
    The official years of operation for The Colonial Bank are 1856 to 1863. However, the bank didn’t actually open for business until 1859. The Colonial Bank only operated for six months, really through no fault of its own. The International Bank failed and caused a run on the bank and it was forced to close. Its charter was finally repealed in August of 1863.
    Despite just being open for six months, The Colonial Bank of Canada did manage to issue lots of paper money. Printing duties were handled by Jocelyn, Draper, Welch & Co. along with The American Bank Note Company. Signors include E.C. Hopkins, T. Hough, Wm. Bettes, and G.G. Moss. One, two, three, four, five, ten, twenty, fifty, and one hundred dollar bills were issued. All notes were dated between April and October 1859. Denominations of one dollar through ten dollars come in two varieties based on whether they have one or two signatures. Both varieties are very common and normally sell for around $100. If you have a $20, $50, or $100 then that is a different story. All of those denominations are quite scarce. There are lots or remainders that exist today. Remainders are not dated, signed or numbered.

Michael K likes this.
  18. MEC2

MEC2 Enormous Member

Today's new pickup is this $2 New Jersey obsolete from the State Bank of New Brunswick. This series of different denominations has a recognizable dog engraving on it, not sure how I feel about that, makes it feel a little play money to me. The rest of the note has high quality engraving thanks to the handiwork of ABNCo. Green overprint and a printed back, and no expense was spared on the design of this deuce...

upload_2018-11-23_10-52-57.png

upload_2018-11-23_10-53-34.png

Endeavor and Michael K like this.
  19. Endeavor

Endeavor Well-Known Member

20. SteveInTampa

Nice addition @Endeavor. I’ve noticed an assortment of various notes you’ve posted, do you have a collecting goal or something you’re working towards ?

21. Endeavor

Endeavor Well-Known Member

Thanks Steve. With paper money I'm all over the place. I don't really build sets or add towards any particular goal. With that said I do prefer small-size notes and always buy EPQ/PPQ. I mainly look for value when shopping notes.

Anything I feel is underpriced will get consideration for purchase from me. I do tend to gravitate towards star notes due to their lower print runs (and therefore better value, in my opinion), but again, not really building any sets in particular.

SteveInTampa likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted