Paper Money: New Acquisitions

Discussion in 'Paper Money' started by Dr Kegg, Dec 16, 2010.

1. techwriter

techwriter Well-Known Member

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Wingnut6999

Wingnut6999 Currency loving custodian

20181011_132159.jpg 20181011_132220.jpg 35a, number 2 with 8 more to go

Nathan401 and Endeavor like this.
  4. MEC2

MEC2 Enormous Member

Today's new pickup is this wonderful design, a 1932 1000 Korun note from Czechoslovakia. One of my all time favorite engraving designs on the front of this note, and a sharp and interesting color contrast scheme on the reverse. This note is very often seen with the specimen punch out stamp, and alas, I didn't notice it when I grabbed it off theBay. That's okay I guess, I do think I got a non-specimen version later, somewhere around here. Not sure why so many punched specimen are around, it's like they outnumber the real notes 100 to 1....

upload_2018-10-11_11-31-48.png

upload_2018-10-11_11-32-4.png

5. hotwheelsearl

hotwheelsearl Well-Known Member

Nice!!

I have one in much worse condition. I was too poor st the time to be able to justify spending more than the $21 I did for the note.

The large size and the beautiful engraving are such a sight.

6. hotwheelsearl

2007 series Cambodia 2000 Riel. This is currently worth around $0.50, at the currently accepted exchange rate of 4000 Riel to the dollar.
    Although the exchange rate does fluctuate significantly day to day, the locals just make it simple and call it 4000 to 1, in all places except electronic or bank transactions.

The obverse features a very very neat place. This is a main structure from the temple complex of Preah Vihear.
    This is located on a beautiful mountain right on the Cambodia-Thailand border. In fact, you can look right across the river into Thailand!!
    Getting here is a bit tough, you have to take a car to a truck stop place where you get on the back of a very precarious moped. The moped goes up and down extremely steep slopes of what seemed like 60 percent grades. It was honestly terrifying but the moped driver was very skilled. I was just worried about falling off the bike.
    img158.jpg
    Here's a picture my mother took of what I believe is the exact building represented in the note. I am the small figure on the left, walking away.
    pic.jpg

The reverse features a very communist-looking workers paradise scene, with the main Angkor Wat complex in the background.
    img159.jpg

7. MEC2

MEC2 Enormous Member

Well that detour from Mexico didn't last long, but I promise, we'll be on to other types soon... for now, this new pickup is this remainder from the Banco de Sonora. The fantastic layout speaks for itself, you gotta love those turn of the 20th century ABNCo designs...

upload_2018-10-12_17-2-4.png

upload_2018-10-12_17-3-9.png

Michael K likes this.
  8. hotwheelsearl

Nice! That reminds me of the example that I own.

This one is interesting because it appears to have been circulated significantly. I was under the impression that all of these Sonora 5 Pesos notes were unissued remainders, but here we are...

img182.jpg
    img183.jpg
    Unfortunately it has some tape reside, which fortunately is not too distracting.

George McClellan likes this.
  9. techwriter

MEC2, really like the Czech note and the vignette is a popular one; it's called something akin to "the reaper sisters"; and I've seen it on checks and stock certificates such as this one:
    reapersisters_vignette.jpg

10. hotwheelsearl

MEC2, I believe the story with the Czech specimens is as follows.
    Apparently, many of these notes were circulated as normal. Later, they were pulled, perforated "SPECIMEN," and sold to collectors (who apparently really like Specimens).
    This has the weird effect that now UN-Specimen examples are rarer and more valuable than the actual Specimen-punched notes.
    I believe that most Specimens are not real specimens, in that they were circulation issues that were stamped after the fact.

Here's my example, in much worse condition.
    img184.jpg

11. hotwheelsearl

Those two sisters are also on the back of the 1945 Peruvian 50 Soles de Oro!
    img185.jpg

12. hotwheelsearl

Today I have a 1967 Brazil 500 Cruzeiros.
    This has an overprint with "Banco Central 50 Centavos."
    Initially I thought this meant that the note was revalued to 50 centavos, but someone told me that it was actually an indicator of a 50 centavo (1%) tax paid on the note.
    I'm really not sure how that works but in any case, the obverse features King John VI of Portugal, who at one point fled to Brazil for some reason (I didn't feel like reading the entire wiki article..."
    img180.jpg

The reverse features a very nice ABNC vignette of Mercury in front of sailing ships. I believe this figure is also seen on some stock certificates of the US as well.
    img181.jpg

This series of Brazilian notes is very cheap and very beautiful. Each denomination has a different, bright color with your classic ABNC background engraving and pretty cool figure on the back.

13. MEC2

MEC2 Enormous Member

Today's new pickup is this always popular 1923 Red Seal US Note Ace. Already have one in VF framed but I put in a bargain bid on this one and managed to win. Not sure what I will do with it, probably sell it at some point, but it's sure got a nice pop to the red overprint...

upload_2018-10-14_11-15-8.png

upload_2018-10-14_11-15-59.png

Earl - I also have a extensive Brazil collection for the reasons you note - great ABNCo designs and wonderful rear colorful engravings. I got most of them long ago so they don't appear in this thread often... Your note is from the currency reform reissue in 1966 and were released at 1000:1 so your note is indeed only 50 centavos, not 500 cruzeiros, it is not a tax. These notes also changed designs and even engravers, they started ABNCo, changed to TDLR with notably inferior engravings, then went back to ABNCo. This is a later ABNCo, my 500 of this note...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 14, 2018
  14. hotwheelsearl

Well I'm now out of new acquisitions, so I guess I'll have to start doing old acquisitions now until I get a new note or two.

Russia 1909 10 rubles. Going from the contemporary silver ruble weight, this is worth approximately $277.10 in 2018 values.

There is nothing really special going on this note, but I am very partial to its beautiful and artistic design.
    To me, nothing says "Imperial Russia" quite like this sort of neoclassical design.

img142.jpg
    img143.jpg

calishield and Nathan401 like this.
  15. Legoman1

Legoman1 Active Member

techwriter- those silver certificates at top are in really good condition! Hard to believe that they are 100 years old!

16. Legoman1

Legoman1 Active Member

By the way, I have some wrinkled 1970s 2 dollar bills from circulation. 12 in total. Should I just spend them?

17. George McClellan

George McClellan Active Member

They may be good for tipping... instead of fivers... depends on where you go.

18. Paul Davis

Paul Davis New Member

Got this in my tip jar while bartending last night.

Attached Files:

Nathan401 likes this.
  19. MEC2

MEC2 Enormous Member

Keep that Inaugural $2...

Today's new pickup might be my last for a month or so, got some out of towning to do and not much time to post new pickups. This one is this super-limey LGS $20 1934 from Richmond. What else is there to say but enjoy the lime...?

upload_2018-10-15_23-15-46.png

upload_2018-10-15_23-17-48.png

hotwheelsearl likes this.
  20. hotwheelsearl

I’m certainly going to miss your regular acquisitions!

21. techwriter

Yep, MEC, you will be missed and your super-cool postings. And I 100% agree with the LIME !!
    FRN_1934_$20_LGS_D02824287A_face.jpg fr2052H_$20_LGS-1928B_face_h06253533A.jpg

Draft saved Draft deleted