Paper Money: New Acquisitions

Discussion in 'Paper Money' started by Dr Kegg, Dec 16, 2010.

1. lettow

lettow Senior Member

20 shillings to a pound.

A Spanish milled dollar is a reale and is the equivalent of 5 shillings.

Unless you are using Halifax money.

Michael K likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. MEC2

MEC2 Enormous Member

Today's new pickup is this $50 Ohio national from 1929, but we're gonna party like it's 1999 because that's what the bank charter number says... this note is from Citizens National Bank in New Philadelphia - not sure what was wrong with the old one, but unless they have Cheesesteaks in the new one, I am going to have to give the nod to the old one, this nice looking note not withstanding...

upload_2018-8-10_11-34-17.png

upload_2018-8-10_11-34-41.png

4. MEC2

MEC2 Enormous Member

Today's new pickup is this neat $3 obsolete reprint from the International Bank of Portland, Maine. Real issues on this bank are actually green, I beliete the reprint is red, which is nice because it looks good but also means no hankey pankey with the real population of notes, because the reprint is for all intents and purposes the same as the issued notes. I'm going for all of them because they just look neat...

upload_2018-8-12_23-38-16.png

5. SteveInTampa

SteveInTampa Always Learning

Nice one @MEC2 .
    That’s a popular vignette on your Maine Obsolete remainder. I think I have a Rhode Island Obsolete with the same vignette.

6. MEC2

MEC2 Enormous Member

Today's new pickup is this 1773 Colonial two-shillings note from the fine Quaker loving state of Pennsylvania. Red overprint protector is faded but visible, the signatures and serial are great - and look, it's Sam Bishop again with his glorious scrawl. Quakers or not, pretty sure they'd hang you up by your hook-and-loops even if the Counterfeit warning has faded out on the back...

upload_2018-8-13_17-57-19.png

upload_2018-8-13_17-57-39.png

papermoney54, Michael K and Dave L like this.
  7. Dave L

Dave L Junior Member

Wallet Piece?

8. Dave L

Dave L Junior Member

Got a Neilsen Survey today, with two crisp one dollar bills, including a Star Note. Nothing much to report, but as I know some of you like offset errors and such, I thought you may be interested in the offset onto the return envelope. No such offset onto the banknotes, however.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Endeavor likes this.
  9. Drawde

Drawde Lurking and learning...

Wet Ink Transfer?

Endeavor likes this.
  10. kazuma78

kazuma78 Supporter! Supporter

Picked this up for my collection of notes my great grandfather signed. Been waiting for and hoping to get this note for a long long time. It's the only note I think he signed from this bank before it re-chartered. IMG_3799.JPG IMG_3800.JPG

11. MEC2

MEC2 Enormous Member

Christ that note is a monster, for ten different reasons... signed by a relative, 64 condition, serial #1... dynamite.

Dave - I did have that in my wallet for a brief time but it's actually pretty decent to put too much travel on. On those singles you posted, looks like that paper either got wet (possible but not likely, wet paper shows real easily) or went through a laser printer and got coated with fuser, which grabbed the ink off the notes. Even if a laser print doesn't print anything, you often get a dusting a fuser on there...

Well it's almost anticlimactic to post after Kazuma's insane note, but, someone has to do it, might as well be me. Speaking of wallets, here is another of the What's In Your Wallet series - gonna carry a hundred, this one is the best combination, not costly, obtainable, but still interested, of course the 1966 $100 US Note. Sure, I guess it could be the 66-A but that's getting picky isn't it? Nice thing about the 66, it's a neat note and affordable once you get past the face value. So it rides atop the wad... little rust on the back, who cares, it's the wallet piece front that is the attraction, and a note that would otherwise be unremarkable gets to ride the lightning in my money clip...

upload_2018-8-14_23-26-11.png

upload_2018-8-14_23-28-20.png

MitchBailey, kazuma78 and Endeavor like this.
  12. Endeavor

Endeavor Well-Known Member

Great post @MEC2

That last line... "gets to ride the lightning". Love it.

13. SteveInTampa

SteveInTampa Always Learning

Love that monster Date Back Ohio National @kazuma78 .

kazuma78 likes this.
  14. kazuma78

I was stoked to get the approval of the owner to sell it. Its definitely one of my top pieces, just phenomenally cool.

15. kazuma78

Hoping I can also get this one. Also signed by my great grandfather. IMG_3813.JPG IMG_3810.JPG IMG_3818.JPG

Endeavor likes this.
  16. Michael K

Michael K Well-Known Member

I see. A,B,C,D. Sneaky.

MEC2 likes this.
  17. Endeavor

Binary Serial Number

P147.jpg

SteveInTampa and Drawde like this.
  18. Endeavor