Paper Money: New Acquisitions

Discussion in 'Paper Money' started by Dr Kegg, Dec 16, 2010.

1. Michael K

Michael K Well-Known Member

Impressive collection. This last note is a beauty from every area.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. MEC2

MEC2 Enormous Member

Today's new pickup is this Chester PA national $5 from The Chester National Bank. Now collecting Chester notes does have you hitting a few states, NY, PA, and SC mainly, and this bank is uncommon but not exceedingly rare, you get one or two notes a year normally pop up, so I grabbed it to fill in yet another Chester bank in my quest to collect them all. Likely won't happen but you won't if you don't try, right? The reverse has a nice deep green ink...

upload_2018-7-19_19-43-10.png

upload_2018-7-19_19-43-56.png

Endeavor, SteveInTampa and Michael K like this.
  4. MEC2

MEC2 Enormous Member

Today's new pickup is this wallet bound 1928-B Silver Certificate star note. I wanted a well circulated grade since it was going to go in my "What's In Your Wallet?" bundle I carry with me, so if it was lost, or just got a bit more wear, I wouldn't be really harming the grade of the note. I figure if you are going to get a silver certificate, get an old one and make it a star... just to, I dunno, give it a style point bump, and if you are going to carry, make it worthwhile...

upload_2018-7-20_14-27-45.png

upload_2018-7-20_14-31-42.png

Endeavor and Michael K like this.
  5. MEC2

MEC2 Enormous Member

Holy crap, my post from yesterday was stuck as a draft. Well, you get TWO new pickups. The SC star was yesterday, and today is... this very nice Michigan obsolete $5 from The Bank of Chippeway. Nice period design for 1838, great condition, quality engraving, sigs just starting to burn into the paper for that deep brown look, I like it...

upload_2018-7-21_13-46-41.png

Nathan401, Endeavor and Michael K like this.
  6. Endeavor

Endeavor Well-Known Member

7. SteveInTampa

SteveInTampa Always Learning

Love seeing President Grant on a star note.

Endeavor likes this.
  8. MEC2

MEC2 Enormous Member

Today's new pickup is this 1934 Kansas City $5 star note. Looks to be well into the seal transition from LGS to DGS, somewhere in between maybe. Makes collecting the 1928 B through 1934 series interesting, because the seals on those notes are like a box of chocolates, you never know what you're gonna get...

upload_2018-7-26_8-33-16.png

upload_2018-7-26_8-33-55.png

papermoney54 and Endeavor like this.
  9. Larry Salemme

Larry Salemme Active Member

dollar bill margins is this common

Attached Files:

10. SteveInTampa

SteveInTampa Always Learning

Most moderns are centered well, while others will sometimes have uneven margins. Not unusual @Larry Salemme .

Larry Salemme likes this.
  11. Gmum11

Gmum11 New Member

What is the proper way to store star notes or whatever note it is to best preserve your treasures. Is it safe to store bills in sets of 3 or more? I purchased an acid free photo album but need more space if the have to be stored individually. Is this type of storage okay? Thanks for such an interesting post!

12. Endeavor

13. MEC2

MEC2 Enormous Member

Today's new pickup is another one destined for the "What's In Your Wallet" rotation, this 1923 Red Seal US Note single. The goal is to carry these notes and not feel bad about it, so you look for some honest circulation that a few more trips in a money clip aren't going to degrade. And hence, this note here, sure you could care a 1923 large Silver Cert but these have more cachet, unless you went around with like a Woods Tate SC, but who would do that...?

upload_2018-7-27_16-26-28.png

14. MEC2

MEC2 Enormous Member

Today's new pickup is this Massachusetts obsolete $5 from 1854 at The Merchants Bank in New Bedford. Good design this, too early for the next level of engraving but solid work here, the denominator on the left, big eagle in the middle, Indian Princess on the right? Strange because she looks like she has a bow perhaps... an odd accessory when dressing after Labor Day...

upload_2018-7-28_15-40-53.png

15. Timewarp

Timewarp Intrepid Traveler

Picked up a nice G-G 1935D 18 Subject sheet note to go along with a N-G I have.

1935D  G-G Narrow 18 obv.jpg 1935D  G-G Narrow 18 rev.jpg

Endeavor, MEC2, Michael K and 2 others like this.
  16. NAVY CHIEF

NAVY CHIEF Active Member

after my move in Feb 2018 found these notes in a box I just opened.

Attached Files:

Timewarp, MEC2 and Larry Salemme like this.
  17. MEC2

MEC2 Enormous Member

Today's new pickup is yet another in that string of What's In Your Wallet (tm) notes for my carry stash, this one is a 1934-C $10 silver certificate star note. Nice enough note and pretty sharp for carry, but not one that you'd be like "oh no I bumped the corner on this note carrying it!" Folks like the big blue 10 and the blue serial and reserve seal, and the star is of course bonus... when you can only carry a few notes, you gotta make em count.

upload_2018-7-29_11-10-25.png

upload_2018-7-29_11-13-15.png

Endeavor, Larry Salemme and Timewarp like this.
  18. MEC2

MEC2 Enormous Member

Today's new pickup is this colorful $5 South Carolina obsolete from the Bank of Chester. This note is much rarer than the normal Bank of Chester notes from this popular and frequently seen bank, as it has the extra colorful overprint protection versus the earlier releases. I do love the extra colorful pop on this note, and since I collect all things Chester, well, it was sort of a gotta get...

upload_2018-7-30_15-21-5.png

MitchBailey, Endeavor and Michael K like this.
  19. Endeavor

Consecutive Gems...

P141DE (1).jpg

MEC2 likes this.
  20. Muzyck

Muzyck Rabbits!

Notes issued by my first real employer (long before I started working there ;))

City Bank 20 Gordon Rentschler.jpg
    City Bank 20 rev.jpg

City Bank 10 Gordon Rentschler.jpg
    City Bank 10 Gordon Rentschler rev.jpg

Endeavor, Michael K, MEC2 and 2 others like this.
  21. MEC2

MEC2 Enormous Member

Well another WIYW entry here as today's new pickup, a world weary 1918 Kansas City ace FRBN. When I tri-fold this for the money clip, am I going to be upset with a couple folds? Nope, just another few miles for this note and people like to see the big eagle on the back. Couple edge nicks and honest circulation make this easy to carry but still easy to please with the screaming eagle on the back...

upload_2018-7-31_22-43-13.png

upload_2018-7-31_22-45-29.png

Draft saved Draft deleted