Paper Money: New Acquisitions

Discussion in 'Paper Money' started by Dr Kegg, Dec 16, 2010.

1. Drawde

Drawde Lurking and learning...

I agree with "ST", but where are the 2017 notes? None in this area....

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. MEC2

MEC2 Enormous Member

This note is a special note, took a long time to find, this $5 national from Minnesota's First National Bank of Jordan. It's a namesake for my son and let me tell you, unlike Morgan (my daughter) there are damn few Jordan notes around. Two banks, in fact. This note is the only large size listed on this bank to hit auction in the last 8 years - so, since I've been collecting. Luckily I knew the seller and he did me a solid, and even well worn like this they are not cheap. You never know if or when on a note like this, so you take what you can get, and I was thrilled to add it, because you don't get this, you may not get one, ever...

upload_2018-7-2_20-31-57.png

upload_2018-7-2_21-15-20.png

4. Michael K

Michael K Well-Known Member

Did you decipher the writing on the reverse?

5. SteveInTampa

SteveInTampa Always Learning

Appears to be names, six on the right and two on the left.

Michael K likes this.
  6. MEC2

MEC2 Enormous Member

Today's new pickup is this $10 Kansas 1929 national from The Winfield National Bank. This bank is on the cusp between uncommon and rare, you get maybe one or two a year to show up, I got a good deal and snared it, so in the collection it goes... turns out only two Type 2 are known, this being one, so it makes it a little more special.

upload_2018-7-4_0-32-23.png

upload_2018-7-4_0-37-14.png

Endeavor, Michael K and MitchBailey like this.
  7. Endeavor

Endeavor Well-Known Member

8. NLL

NLL Well-Known Member

It could have been a short snorter of some sort.

Nathan401 likes this.
  9. MEC2

MEC2 Enormous Member

Probably snorter on that note, but I'd love to meet LeRoy "Bud" Milton...

Today's new pickup is another family based note - my father was born in Alton and this rough-as-hell 1865 single is from the Alton National Bank. Not a rare bank, in fact there are a ton of 1865 singles on this bank - this was just the first one I found and one. Still wasn't that cheap... you'd think, but nope...

upload_2018-7-5_23-7-4.png

upload_2018-7-5_23-10-32.png

10. MEC2

MEC2 Enormous Member

Today's new pickup is a change of pace to this sharp looking 1000 Korun note from Czechoslovakia. I have a decent little collection of some of the nicer Czech designs, from the earliest in the 1920's to some later ones from the 60's. Really nice engraving on this large note, large both denominational and physically, and grammatically...

upload_2018-7-7_17-39-44.png

upload_2018-7-7_17-41-17.png

11. Michael K

And what fantastic black market are you getting all these wonderful notes?
    If you don't want to say specifically, you can just leave a clue.
    LCS, EBay, etc.
    Great stuff as always.

12. MEC2

MEC2 Enormous Member

I get them from the usual places - most of my notes are eBay gets as it turns out.

Today's new get is another eBay get, as I collect yet another variation of overprint from The Cochituate Bank of Massachusetts. Blue print, red print, large print, small print, serif print, it's like a Dr. Seuss book with these notes. They are usually affordable, this one no exception, and I am always on the lookout for a new type of overprint protector on this issue...

upload_2018-7-9_20-57-42.png

13. SteveInTampa

Cool note @MEC2.

Would the ship in the vignette be considered a hybrid, with both steam and wind powering it ?

14. MEC2

MEC2 Enormous Member

It's a sidewheel ocean steamer, which is pretty hybrid though this one looks less dependent on sail than the early ones. I think the sail was for favorable winds or if the boiler went on the fritz, you weren't adrift at sea...

Today's new pickup is this sharp looking $3 Maryland obsolete from the Farmers and Merchants Bank of Greensborough. Sharp design with that eagle and high quality engravings from the fine chaps at ABNCo. The red serial and green overprint give it just the right pop of color to stand out. And of course it's a $3, my favorite denomination...

upload_2018-7-10_16-25-54.png

15. MEC2

MEC2 Enormous Member

Today's new pickup is this $4 obsolete from North Carolina's the Bank of Washington. This is a highly collected bank for it's well done notes (ABNCo don't you know) and unusual denominations, like a $4. I love $4 notes, very uncommon. This one has that great big spirograph red overprint protector. To be honest the portraits on this series aren't really up to what I call ABNCo standards, but hey, they can't ALL be winners now can they...

upload_2018-7-12_20-16-5.png

16. MEC2

MEC2 Enormous Member

Today's new pickup is two, Two, TWO pickups in one! Scored two 50 cent fractional Stanton notes, just a pinhole on the top keeps it from being fantabulous. Still a great example and it's going into my Fractional frame (when I get around to it). Both notes have nice red seals and the blue threads and paper dye of this issue. Will eventually move sell the bottom note and another one or two I have of this, as I doubt I'll want to mount or shell out for anything nicer than the top note, just a great vivid example... by the by, the to-scan stack is now four stacks of three inches each, it's insane, I am ashamed to show it... so many notes and so little time...

upload_2018-7-14_10-29-1.png

upload_2018-7-14_10-30-16.png

upload_2018-7-14_10-30-50.png

upload_2018-7-14_10-35-48.png

17. MEC2

MEC2 Enormous Member

Today's new pickup is another fractional currency, this an 1863 obsolete 5-cent note from the State of North Carolina. How'd you like to have to hand serial and sign all those five cent notes? Yikes...

upload_2018-7-16_0-50-54.png

Endeavor and Michael K like this.
  18. SteveInTampa

Love the Spinner signatures on the Stanton Fractionals.

19. MEC2

MEC2 Enormous Member

Yeah Spinner had a great signature and I get the sense he knew it, whipping out that calligraphy pen every time...

Today's new pickup is this fantastic design $1 obsolete from The Bank of Marion in Ohio. You don't get many panoramic designs but this one delivers, border to border, and a colored back for a bonus. Plenty of mileage on this note but the goods are still there. Not sure why but the back scan isn't the same resolution as the front. Oh well...

upload_2018-7-16_23-20-21.png

upload_2018-7-16_23-22-38.png

20. Michael K

The dollar is exquisite.
    On the 5 cent, North Carolina 1863, but this is not Confederate.
    Did they not have any metal for minting coins?
    That's a lot of paper, ink, signatures, recording/ accounting for 5 cents.

21. MEC2

MEC2 Enormous Member

Today's new pickup is this sharp and bright Woodchopper with the very tough Elliot Burke sig combination. Not sure why this is so rare on the five-spot but not as rare on the Ace for instance, but there aren't a whole ton of these floating about. I could hold out for a Napier Thompson but that's waiting for high cotton to grow.

upload_2018-7-17_17-22-27.png

upload_2018-7-17_17-24-32.png

Nathan401, Drawde, Endeavor and 2 others like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted