Paper Money: New Acquisitions

Discussion in 'Paper Money' started by Dr Kegg, Dec 16, 2010.

1. MEC2

MEC2 Enormous Member

Today's new pickup is this obsolete $5 note from The Cochituate Bank of Boston, Mass. Always collectible due to a plentiful supply and nice designs, these notes also have a great number of overprint variants. I'm trying to collect them as I go, I think this is the third of fourth different overprint style. This one also bears what appears to be a redemption stamp on the face as well. Sometimes the overprint is red, or blue, and the print style changes - life is like a box of Cochituate Bank overstamp notes, you never know what you're gonna get...

upload_2018-5-7_15-2-31.png

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. jack81

jack81 Member

got this back from pcgs today

Attached Files:

4. SteveInTampa

SteveInTampa Always Learning

Great new additions everyone.

This star, and most likely the ME* star will be tough finds.
    The MF* had a small print run of 128,000 notes, the ME* is even less.

4E9404C0-93B6-442B-AEAA-2A204EDCB825.jpeg

Endeavor likes this.
  5. CHARLES ROSENBAUM

CHARLES ROSENBAUM Active Member

Very interesting, thank you

6. Endeavor

Endeavor Well-Known Member

A couple Series 1995 Cleveland stars...

P84A.jpg P84B.jpg

7. NickJersey

NickJersey Well-Known Member

So the other day I was paid with 2 nice crisp sequential dollar bills, not that uncommon. Then I noticed the serial numbers were not quit sequential, the 5th digit incremented from 8 to 9.

So would this be considered a printing error, a sorting error or just a coincidence? I've never seen something like this so I was just curious. IMG_20180514_131248.jpg

Endeavor likes this.
  8. Jordan Banknote

Jordan Banknote New Member

[​IMG] Just bought this 1981 20 dinar as a nice substitute to the usual, Irish pounds. I used to be obsessed with 'em.
    [​IMG]

9. MEC2

MEC2 Enormous Member

Today's new pickup after another inexcusable delay (I got a grandbaby and a business to run and a highly serviceable wife so perhaps the delays are not inexcusable) is this Virginia remainder, a $5 obsolete from the James River and Kanawha Company. Sharp remainder and a reminder to always choose an A as your additional vowel in Wheel of Fortune, though _ana__a isn't much of a clue. Better than __n____ though...

upload_2018-5-17_17-55-5.png

KSorbo, Drawde, Endeavor and 2 others like this.
  10. SteveInTampa

This was only used locally, right ?
    In other words, could you use it to purchase goods or services in Macon Georgia, or Biloxi Mississippi ?

11. Michael K

Michael K Well-Known Member

6% interest too.

12. Endeavor

13. SteveInTampa

Cool note @Endeavor , series 2001 $5 stars only had Dallas CK* and San Francisco CL* issued.

I am a member on several paper money forums, and some members have been posting really great notes without mentioning the notes are not theirs...forgive me for asking sir, but are the notes you post yours ?

Endeavor likes this.
  14. APX78

APX78 Well-Known Member

Very nice obsolete MEC 2!

15. Endeavor

Yes, all photos I post are notes I own (or owned in the case I sold it), but most are notes I still have in my possession and all were in my possession at some point.

Michael K and SteveInTampa like this.
  16. SteveInTampa

17. Muzyck

Muzyck Rabbits!

Sinkiang Finance Department Treasury - 400 Cash, 1931

Sinkiang Finance Department Treasury Large 400 Cash Note 1931rev.jpg
    Sinkiang Finance Department Treasury Large 400 Cash Note edit rev1931rev.jpg

18. MEC2

MEC2 Enormous Member

I imagine like similar instruments of the day it could be circulated (rail road fare tickets were done similarly so), but if you want to convert it, only party duly bound to do so is their Virginia office... the main point is to get you to leave hard currency in exchange for this interest bearing note in return.

Whatever it takes to get you to leave hard coin and walk out with a piece of paper...

Today's new pickup is this sharp remainder, vivid white on my favorite denomination the $3, this one from the Bank of Washtenaw in Michigan. Famous image from the past of Pat Lyon at the forge, among other design elements. What was he making? A stirrup? Bridle? Horseshoe? I imagine he is actually at an early smoker turning over a half rack of babyback ribs...

upload_2018-5-19_12-20-29.png

KSorbo, MitchBailey and Michael K like this.
  19. MEC2

MEC2 Enormous Member

Today's new pickup is this nice little $2 obsolete from the Commercial Bank of New Jersey. I do like a deuce and this has a nice wide central engraving of ships - ships, trains, always a draw - an overall pleasant design. The serial is stamped, curious what function that performed other than just writing it in, not sure it gives much security wise, but hey, it's another interesting element.

upload_2018-5-20_13-59-10.png

KSorbo and Michael K like this.
  20. MEC2

MEC2 Enormous Member

Today's new pickup is this decent $20 Gold Certificate from 1922. Sometimes looking for notes you strike gold, sometimes literally, got this note for an insane steal and will do that every day and twice on Sunday. I do think the $20 design for this (and the subsequent Jackson $20's in small size) get overlooked for how lovely the outer scroll work really is. Alot of lovely detail in there. The reverse on this still has a lovely orange pop too. Everyone likes gold certificates, because, gold...

upload_2018-5-23_19-10-4.png

upload_2018-5-23_19-11-3.png

KSorbo, midas1 and Michael K like this.
  21. Michael K

Michael K Well-Known Member

I like the reverses on this and the large $10 gold Hillegas. The color of the ink
    in good condition is spectacular.

Draft saved Draft deleted