Paper Money: New Acquisitions

Discussion in 'Paper Money' started by Dr Kegg, Dec 16, 2010.

1. Endeavor

Endeavor Well-Known Member

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. afm1982

afm1982 Miami has the Dolphins...

Dude, how big is your wallet that you're stuffing it with horseblankets to show around?

4. NLL

NLL Well-Known Member

We're they relatively cheap? I imagine they were if your are willing to carry them around.

5. Drawde

Drawde Lurking and learning...

I believe that afm1982 meant physical size, note actual cost...

6. trussell

trussell Active Member

I'm looking for a bill collector born on June 6, 1971
    DSC01855.JPG DSC01856.JPG

Endeavor likes this.
  7. MEC2

MEC2 Enormous Member

Hey AFM, it's actually a money clip, and the thing about large size notes is they tri-fold into the same size as a half folded small size note. So you can carry them next to each other in the same profile...

Today's new pickup after an inexcusably long gap is this small size star, I am always looking to fill out my small size 28-34 collection, so I'll take this 1934-C quite happily. Not as easy to come by as you might think, even for the ubiquitous Chicago district...

upload_2018-5-2_0-7-35.png

upload_2018-5-2_0-8-9.png

8. MEC2

MEC2 Enormous Member

Today's new pickup is this big ole note from Uruguay, 1872 Fifty Pesos note. When I say big I mean it, it's notably larger than a large size US note. Neat design elements here and quality engraving. From the Bank of London and River Plate, just happen to be in Montevideo earlier this year, pleasant city... and at least now you know what to do if you get three U tiles in Scrabble...

upload_2018-5-3_8-35-11.png

Endeavor and Michael K like this.
  9. SteveInTampa

SteveInTampa Always Learning

Cool note MEC2...almost a radar

10. CHARLES ROSENBAUM

CHARLES ROSENBAUM Active Member

IS THIS AN ERROR

Attached Files:

11. SteveInTampa

SteveInTampa Always Learning

Looks like a post BEP ink stain...not an error.

12. CHARLES ROSENBAUM

THOUGHT SO, THANK
    YOU

13. hotwheelsearl

hotwheelsearl Well-Known Member

No need to use all caps, amigo

14. CHARLES ROSENBAUM

15. CHARLES ROSENBAUM

Looks like a flag by the pillar. weird

Attached Files:

16. hotwheelsearl

hotwheelsearl Well-Known Member

It's a simple stain

17. CHARLES ROSENBAUM

18. MEC2

MEC2 Enormous Member

Today's new pickup is this colorful Mississippi $10 from late 1862. As we can see from the overprint, this is in the Pinky Swear issue period, instead of Cotton Pledged. I like the big blue X overprint, really styling. Frankly, considering the dire fiscal situation of the South, it's a wonder currency was honored as long as it was, though obviously at a rapidly deprecating rate...

upload_2018-5-5_12-46-9.png

Endeavor and Michael K like this.
  19. Milesofwho

Milesofwho Omnivorous collector

Is that the "two years after the war ends we'll pay it period?"

20. MEC2

MEC2 Enormous Member

Miles - no, it refers to the guarantee of the note, early issues were Cotton Pledged, meaning the value of the notes was backed by proceeds of cotton sales. Later notes are stamped Faith of the State Pledged - this is the pinky swear, meaning, basically, Scouts honor, we'll back this note... with something. Note there is nothing related to the hostilities between the Confederacy and Union affecting payment of the notes, like on Confederate notes where it's basically a promise to pay in hard money once the South wins the war. That was a wait for a train that didn't come...

Speaking of waiting, no more waiting on my next pickup. This snazzy obsolete $5 from Allegany County Bank in Cumberland, MD. Great design by ABNCo, these notes often have mining depictions, being in country where that really mattered. Red overprint and alot of top notch engraving makes this note a winner...

upload_2018-5-6_22-38-36.png

21. Milesofwho

Milesofwho Omnivorous collector

Draft saved Draft deleted