Paper Money: New Acquisitions

Discussion in 'Paper Money' started by Dr Kegg, Dec 16, 2010.

1. yakpoo

yakpoo Member

Beautiful train engine!

I would love to see one of those engines hit a cow!

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Endeavor

Endeavor Well-Known Member

Web Press Note

P85.jpg

SteveInTampa and Michael K like this.
  4. MEC2

MEC2 Enormous Member

Another day, another pickup, and another obsolete from a state beginning with I and ending in A but lo and behold, it's Iowa this time with this fabulous $1 Lyons City obsolete. Just a dynamite obsolete, rich ink engraving stands out on the note with the snappy red overprint. The ladies with the baskets all say hubba hubba, especially that one at the left, she's giving me the "Hey sailor" look...

upload_2018-3-23_8-18-59.png

5. Cheech9712

Cheech9712 Every thing is a guess

What do those go for. I like. So unusual

6. Cheech9712

Cheech9712 Every thing is a guess

7. MEC2

MEC2 Enormous Member

Today's new pickup is this sharp looking 1955 one pound note from Scotland's British Linen Bank. I do like the Scottish bank notes, alot of blue, rampant lions, lingering resentment toward the English... these were some of the last larger size notes before they shrunk soon after to smaller size. Something about the large notes, of every country, that makes me winsome for them...

upload_2018-3-24_12-28-25.png

upload_2018-3-24_12-28-3.png

8. 1913LibertyHeadNickel

1913LibertyHeadNickel Well-Known Member

My tellers hooked it up during my bank run today. That 1934-B Minneapolis issue $100 is definitely EF-40+, except for a small partial purple bank stamp on the reverse. The $5 is rough, but I'll never turn down a 1934-A for FV...EVER! IMG_7954.JPG IMG_7953.JPG

Endeavor and Michael K like this.
  9. MEC2

MEC2 Enormous Member

Today's note is a little change of pace, from Confederate era southern state issues, this one a $5 from the great state of Mississippi. For some reason I really started liking the Mississippi state issues, even though the engraving is definitely not up to par with the best Northern contemporary engraving. Still, I liked the overprints, this earlier issue shows the Cotton Pledged overprint, somewhat more secure than the later "Faith of the State" also known as "we really promise double dutch pinky swear...". This note, while not ABNCo quality, does have deep black ink on solid paper, a red overprint that is very subtle all over the note, the green overprint, nice sharp elegant sigs, and some interesting engraving of a ship, a train, and an Indian Princess. I think I'll go on over and introduce myself as Chief Howyoudoin'...

upload_2018-3-26_18-41-30.png

Endeavor, Michael K and Drawde like this.
  10. MEC2

MEC2 Enormous Member

Today's new pickup is this oddly denominated buck and a quarter note from the Bank of Pontiac in Michigan. Somehow in the past pieces of 8 turned into something, probably from cutting something in half and then cutting those halves in half, then cutting those halves in half, and then I guess we were tired so hey everyone, 1/8th is now a weird thing we deal with in old money. Thanks guys, I guess, for this neat looking 1/8th of ten bucks. We got a train, we got a ship, and the eagle is saying Mmmeerrica for it's whole $1.25 worth, so this is a good looking and interesting note... don't ask for half, it cannot be done...

upload_2018-3-27_16-15-48.png

NLL, Endeavor, hotwheelsearl and 3 others like this.
  11. PlanoSteve

PlanoSteve Well-Known Member

OOOOOh.....that is a sweet note!!!! But I would bet that someone at least suggested a 62.5 cent note! :smuggrin::smuggrin::smuggrin:

hotwheelsearl likes this.
  12. lettow

lettow Senior Member

Government land sold for $1.25/acre in 1837.

hotwheelsearl likes this.
  13. MEC2

MEC2 Enormous Member

Today's new pickup is this $10 obsolete note for the collectible and popular Cochituate Bank in Boston, MA. Well, X certainly marks the ten-spot on this note, red overprint and another nice design from this bank... alot of engraving on that Big ole X...

upload_2018-3-29_0-33-13.png

14. Endeavor

Experimental note...

P86.jpg

MEC2 and SteveInTampa like this.
  15. Michael K

Michael K Well-Known Member

Is this when they went from large notes to small notes?
    Why is the serial # so high?
    Were these exp. notes circulated?

Endeavor likes this.
  16. SteveInTampa

SteveInTampa Always Learning

Yes, small size notes started in 1928, and these were printed between 1929 and 1932.

Serial numbering was different back then. They started with A-A and kept going higher, with the letters having nothing to do with Fed Districts.

The whole reason behind the experimentals was to test the wear characteristics of different blends of security paper. So they definitely circulated.

I love mid-grade notes with original paper and honest wear. Nice Ace @Endeavor !

17. Muzyck

Muzyck Rabbits!

This arrived today. Crisp.

100 Lire 1943 front edit less 5 small.jpg
    100 Lire 1943 back edit less 5 small.jpg

Last edited: Mar 29, 2018
    Michael K likes this.
  18. Endeavor

Good questions. I honestly don't know. Sometimes I buy things without studying them cause they just "seem" awesome. This is a good example.

EDIT: I do know that small-size note started 1928.

This is why I love this thread & website! @SteveInTampa is one of the most knowledgeable paper money collectors not just on this site but the entire world. Good stuff fellas!

PlanoSteve and Michael K like this.
  19. Michael K

Michael K Well-Known Member

Yes. I appreciate getting the correct information.

Endeavor likes this.
  20. MEC2

MEC2 Enormous Member

Today's new pickup is another in a peculiar string of Indiana obsolete notes I got, not sure why they all came in so close but that's how these things happen sometimes. This neat looking obsolete $2 is from the Alexander and Hays Banking Office in beautiful downtown Gosport, wherever that is. Deep navy overprint and nice overall design, on a better denomination to boot...

upload_2018-3-30_0-30-56.png

Michael K, MitchBailey and Endeavor like this.
  21. BaconPickles

BaconPickles New Member

image.jpeg Picked this up earlier in the week! Killer lowball 1869 Ace.:D

Draft saved Draft deleted