Paper Money: New Acquisitions

Discussion in 'Paper Money' started by Dr Kegg, Dec 16, 2010.

1. techwriter

techwriter Well-Known Member

No, I don't collect notgeld. I do, however, collect items with machines/machinery parts, etc. I've no idea what the pictured machine is, but it's a machine. :)
    Austria_1920_50Heller_machine_face.jpg Austria_1920_50Heller_machine_rev.jpg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Endeavor

Endeavor Well-Known Member

4. techwriter

Local coin show today, found these. All WIDE variety; backplate = 4984 for all
    ==============================
    SC_1935D_$1_Z04612076F_3notes_face.jpg

midas1, Michael K and Endeavor like this.
  5. techwriter

one more today
    FRNB_1929_$10_Atlanta_F00634028A_face.jpg FRNB_1929_$10_Atlanta_F00634028A_rev.jpg

Michael K and Endeavor like this.
  6. Endeavor

7. SteveInTampa

SteveInTampa Always Learning

Endeavor likes this.
  8. hotwheelsearl

hotwheelsearl Well-Known Member

Is that a minor ink bleed-through with the green seal?

9. techwriter

FRN_1934_$10_I06216753A_face.jpg FRN_1934_$10_I06216753A_rev.jpg Acquired via Heritage auction last evening, a nice LGS note.

Endeavor, midas1 and MEC2 like this.
  10. MEC2

MEC2 Enormous Member

Yes, I know it's been... over two months since I posted a new note. Had a cruise around Cape Horn, and a grandbaby taking all my time. The Stack (tm)...oh my, The Stack has grown... but lets start posting a new pickup and see if I can keep them coming, eh? So my next new pickup is this sharp $2 obsolete from the popular and collectible Bank of Cochituate in Boston Massachusetts. A lot to like on this note, a great denomination, sharp red overprint, sharp sigs, love the great big deuce in the middle there, neat bank name - the note has it all.

upload_2018-3-16_0-51-28.png

Since they got mentioned, here is... Cape Horn...

upload_2018-3-16_0-55-44.png

...a grandbaby...

upload_2018-3-16_0-57-5.png

And, The Stack (tm)... there are two, they cannot stand as one, the large one is 5 inches of stacked notes... lordy...

upload_2018-3-16_0-57-59.png

Endeavor, yakpoo, midas1 and 5 others like this.
  11. 1913LibertyHeadNickel

1913LibertyHeadNickel Well-Known Member

I'm just curious about something. As an avid searcher for old bills at banks, I've been finding some really cool stuff lately. Yesterday, I picked up a bunch of circulated 1950 and 1950A-E series $100 bills, as well as a 1969A star and 1985 star $100 note. I also have 8 crisp uncirculated sequentially numbered 1977 NY block B-A $100s. However, the only bills that seem to command any sort of realistic premium on eBay are the star notes. I want to start selling off some of my collection, because I have a ton of old $100s, but it seems I need to go back to 1934 or find a red seal to turn a profit. Anyone care to explain?

12. SteveInTampa

SteveInTampa Always Learning

Most $100 note collectors I know are a picky bunch. Being old or consecutive doesn’t always have added value. Given the intrinsic value, the supply often outpaces the demand. Every once in a while an abnormally low print star run comes along, and even AU examples command a premium. The series 1996 $100 Cleveland star comes to mind.

13. chrisild

chrisild Coin Collector

Ternberg, the town that issued the note, is in the Austrian state of Upper Austria. They made and still make special knives there, and there is a "museum village" in the area, see here: https://www.tal-der-feitelmacher.at So I suppose that the machine on the note is something like this. Could be wrong, but yes, it's a machine. ;)

Christian

14. techwriter

MEC2, that "2" you mentioned is steel engraved and was used as a 'protector' to discourage "denomination raising" of this note (and others). It's really a great image.
    Was also used on the Planters Bank of Georgia:
    == not my note, just for illustration purpose ==
    planters-bank-georgia-face.jpg

Last edited: Mar 16, 2018
  15. yakpoo

yakpoo Member

I'm mostly a U.S. Coin collector/hoarder. Every once in a while I come across some currency (obsolete mostly) that I find interesting. I know I shouldn't buy anything I don't understand, but if it's interesting enough (and not too expensive), I'll take the plunge.

My most recent "plunge" is into an uncut sheet of unissued Cincinnati "Post Notes". They seem rather common and the $80 I spent is about right. What I find interesting about these notes is the age of the paper and that they say...

"___after date We promise to pay James Monroe or bearer [One, Two, Three, Five] dollars at___"

Does anyone know what a "Post Note" is and why it's payable to James Monroe?

The only information I've found so far is from a HA auction description that says,

"In the November 1932 issue of The Numismatist and follow up articles in several subsequent issues, dealer H.A. Brand and several others presented information that they had uncovered concerning these "James Monroe Post Notes" as they are known. The notes were believed to have been printed for the banking house of J.H. Piatt & Co., circa 1810 to 1815. They were engraved by Murray, Draper, Fairman & Co. of Philadelphia."

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 18, 2018
    Endeavor, MEC2 and Michael K like this.
  16. lettow

lettow Senior Member

A post note is one that is payable after a certain date as opposed to being payable on demand.

These types of financial instruments were made to circumvent state laws that prohibited banks from issuing paper money. The laws did not prohibit post notes, promissory notes, certificates of deposit, etc. which were payable to individuals but could be negotiated and therefore circulate like paper money.

yakpoo likes this.
  17. Endeavor

18. MEC2

MEC2 Enormous Member

Yeah that 2 appears now and again on a few obsoletes, always reminds me of the big lazy deuce that appeared on early nationals. Hell, almost every denomination engraving or marker on a note after 1815 was a protector of some sort. The colored overprint protectors, hell the engravings had five heads, five cherubs, five images of coins, anything to make raising the notes that much harder.

Well, I posted and immediately fell behind - had an interment to attend, a memorial dinner to plan and pay for, and an Irish wake to attend,all on Friday and Saturday - so yeah, I dropped the ball, so let's pick it back up shall we with this nice $10 obsolete from the fun state of Indiana. Those Farmers and Drovers had to put their money somewhere, why not in a bank of their own? And speaking of protectors, the reverse is chock full of them - the colored overprint, it has the denomination, in color, with the roman numeral, and yep - there are ten of them! I like this design and it's a nice rich example of a quality obsolete from the late 1850's.

upload_2018-3-18_15-45-31.png
    upload_2018-3-18_15-45-45.png

yakpoo, Endeavor and Michael K like this.
  19. yakpoo

yakpoo Member

Nice description...thanks!

20. MEC2

MEC2 Enormous Member

Well today's new pickup proves the axiom, if one $10 Indiana obsolete is good, two must be better, so here's another one, this time from the Commercial Exchange Bank. Another red overprint on the reverse with ten red X designators, and a busy front with alot going on. Redemption stamp, endorsements, sigs, just alot for the eye to jump to on this, along with an interesting large center engraving...

upload_2018-3-19_23-5-52.png

upload_2018-3-19_23-6-28.png

Endeavor likes this.
  21. MEC2

MEC2 Enormous Member

Well, another day, another new pickup, and heck, another Indiana obsolete, this ace from the Commercial Exchange Bank again. That choo choo at center is a monster and I love it - it alone makes the note. Add alot of fancy script, redemption stamp, and a crazy hypnotic red overprint on the revers, well good luck raising that thing. I am looking at the back and getting very sleepy... or nauseous, or both, hard to tell.

upload_2018-3-21_21-50-42.png

upload_2018-3-21_21-50-58.png

Draft saved Draft deleted