Paper Money: New Acquisitions

Discussion in 'Paper Money' started by Dr Kegg, Dec 16, 2010.

1. SteveInTampa

SteveInTampa Always Learning

After picking up an Educational Ace, last year, I started looking for the Deuce. My budget allowed me somewhere in the VF/XF range. This note was beyond my initial plan, but it looked so good for the grade and had such massive eye appeal, I had to have it.

CCFF4BC3-3DAE-4449-9ABD-2F66D1BFC53B.jpeg 2FFBB89A-D68F-4A7D-8F28-B6469B74563E.jpeg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Michael K

Michael K Well-Known Member

Those ed. notes are spectacular.

4. techwriter

techwriter Well-Known Member

I'm calling this recent Heritage acquisition my serendipity note. Once you see the reverse I think you'll understand.
    obs_err_PA_1856_25Cents_StoreAtAlleghanyFornace_PAA181_63epq.jpg obs_err_PA_1856_25Cents_StoreAtAlleghanyFornace_PAA181_63epq_rev.jpg

I thought the note was uniface and didn't look at the reverse during the auction so I was IGNORANT of the error. Oh well. :)

Endeavor, Effigy303 and SteveInTampa like this.
  5. techwriter

In addition to the Allegheny Furnace note above with the "little" train; here's another that I recently acquired. Remember Monopoly?
    obs_train_PA_Philadelphia-ReadingRailroad_May1840_face.jpg

6. techwriter

Acquired at local club meeting tonight; nice miscut error on a little obsolete
    obs_MS_Jan1862_25Cents_train.jpg

AND it is a train note !!

7. Michael K

Confederate fractional currency?

8. techwriter

Actually it's a note of the Mississippi Central Railroad. In 1852, the Mississippi Central Railroad was chartered by the Mississippi Legislature to build a railroad from Canton, MS to Grand Junction, TN. It was financed by wealthy cotton planters in LaGrange, TN and Oxford, MS; and was completed with the financial help of George Peabody of London. (The Peabody Hotel in Memphis was named in his honor). It ran through the towns of Grenada, Water Valley, Oxford and Holly Springs. The first passenger trains from Holly Springs to Oxford ran in 1857. Passenger service further south to Water Valley started in 1858. On January 31, 1860, the final spike was driven in Winona, MS establishing the first ever rail link between the Great Lakes and the Gulf of Mexico. The 26 miles (42 km) line was constructed with 5 foot (1,524 mm) track gauge.

George McClellan likes this.
  9. Michael K

OK cause it said pay in Confederate States notes.

10. techwriter

Well, actually it says " in Current Bank or Confederate States notes"; so the bearer could perhaps receive current State of Mississippi notes if available at redemption.

11. techwriter

Just a nice STAR note that I did not have
    FRN_1934A_$10_Fr2006BStar_B03496041-_face.jpg FRN_1934A_$10_Fr2006BStar_B03496041-_rev.jpg

Michael K, SteveInTampa and Endeavor like this.
  12. Endeavor

Endeavor Well-Known Member

13. techwriter

Obtained these for my "small change" collection
    obs_PA_WatsonPaxson_Oct1862_5Cents.jpg obs_DE_10Cents_CityofWilmington_Nov1862_face.jpg

14. Galen59

Galen59 Gott helfe mir

Is that $7 dollars and 5 cents...?

15. Michael K

It looks like a hand written serial number?

16. Galen59

Galen59 Gott helfe mir

$ sign confused me..

17. techwriter

Latched onto this mule
    FRN_1934_$20_Fr2054C-dgs-mule_C35039135A_bp397_face2.jpg FRN_1934_$20_Fr2054C-dgs-mule_C35039135A_bp397_rev2.jpg

Michael K and Endeavor like this.
  18. George McClellan

George McClellan Active Member

19. Galen59

Galen59 Gott helfe mir

20. Nathan401

Nathan401 Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Thanks bud! Just ordered one. Sodor is the mythical Island that Thomas the Tank Engine and Friends live and work on. My 2 boys are BIGTIME Thomas fans.

21. techwriter

Nathan, well good for your boys.:)

Nathan401 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted