Paper Money: New Acquisitions

Discussion in 'Paper Money' started by Dr Kegg, Dec 16, 2010.

1. TheMont

TheMont Well-Known Member

Radar & repeater note.jpg I've shown this before, but this is the best the bank ever saved for me, a combo Radar and Repeater:

mikep, Endeavor, techwriter and 4 others like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. scopru

scopru Member

Excellent note!

Youngcoin likes this.
  4. Drawde

Drawde Lurking and learning...

Nice Series 1977. Where did they get it and are there more?

5. TheMont

TheMont Well-Known Member

See my post above, I live in a rural area where everybody knows everybody. My local bank keeps an eye out for stars and interesting serial numbers and gives me a call.
    $100 star & serial.jpg

6. MEC2

MEC2 Enormous Member

Today's new pickup is this 1902 $50 national from Dallas... $50 never easy to get, Dallas is tough, even on a fairly common bank like this.

upload_2017-12-20_1-0-37.png

upload_2017-12-20_1-0-50.png

7. Drawde

My bank (BoA) has more than 250 walk-up customers (no counting Drive-thrus), per day and they will not even order me notes nor will they swap with me anymore. They even cut down from 3-tellers to two (2) at peaks and only one (1) for the rest of the time I'll bet that the managers are complaining to headquarters bout this.

8. MEC2

MEC2 Enormous Member

Today's new pickup is this really nice Michigan obsolete $2 from the awesomely named Erie and Kalamazoo Rail Road Bank. Great design on a fun denomination, red overprint and overall just a pleasing example and design. That scythe sure is ready for action at the bottom left, sharpening it sorta looks a little creepy now that I look at it... don't fall asleep in the tall wheat around harvest time folks.

upload_2017-12-21_0-8-29.png

Endeavor, Michael K and MitchBailey like this.
  9. Endeavor

Endeavor Well-Known Member

10. MEC2

MEC2 Enormous Member

Today's new pickup is this interesting designed $5 obsolete from Maine's Hancock Bank. Some dollars on the large vignette add some deterrent to raising the notes, and the creepy cherubs are flanked by the very famous John Smith and Pocahontas. According to Peggy Lee, they had a very mad affair... when her daddy tried to kill him, she said "Daddy, no don't you dare... he gives me fever..."

Scarlet Fever more than likely but that was the way of things between such disparate genetic groups...

upload_2017-12-22_0-16-41.png

Michael K and MitchBailey like this.
  11. MEC2

MEC2 Enormous Member

Today's new pickup is this 1934 Atlanta $100 star note. Now I do collect the 28-34 series stars but normally avoid the 50 and 100 notes since so much money is tied up in face value, makes them tougher to justify. But this note came at me and I said... why not. Even though the serial number is quite low this does appear to be well into the blue-green seal era of the 34 printings. Still, I take me a big star when I can get it...

upload_2017-12-23_0-6-34.png

upload_2017-12-23_0-7-2.png

12. Dave M

Dave M Francophiliac

New French note for me, the first in several years! This is a 50F "Bleu et Rose", an issue first released in 1889 but continued with many printing dates until 1927.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. MEC2

MEC2 Enormous Member

Today's new pickup is a more typical 1928-34 star series note, this one a 1934-C $10 from the Richmond district...

upload_2017-12-24_1-2-24.png

upload_2017-12-24_1-3-21.png

14. MEC2

MEC2 Enormous Member

Today's new pickup is this great looking $3 obsolete from the Adrian Insurance Company of Michigan. Huge train vignette combined with my favorite denomination, a three dollar bill, and a pop of color red overprint protector means winner winner Christmas dinner...

upload_2017-12-25_0-6-31.png

15. scopru

scopru Member

Very nice looking pickup @MEC2

16. Drawde

Merry Christmas to all from SPMC #2676 and PMCM #1116...

17. Michael K

Michael K Well-Known Member

Going back to Endeavors $5 Atlanta star 1999.
    From the photo that looks pretty clean and crisp and new.
    And it's only a 65? Should it be higher, 68, 69?
    Where are the 5 subtraction points and why? Merry Christmas.

18. MEC2

MEC2 Enormous Member

@Michael K - I'd bet it's mainly not fully centered and registered.

Well, I got busy with the holidays and actually spent a few hours scanning (remember the last stack? There are TWO now... criminey), but never posted anything... so here's today's new pickup, this rarer 1934-B series star. 34B are tougher notes so always pleased to add a star from this series when I can...

upload_2017-12-27_23-53-54.png
    upload_2017-12-27_23-55-35.png

19. techwriter

techwriter Well-Known Member

Found this just lying about in an auction with zero bids; so tendered a marginal bid and logged off. Got the "you won" email next day.
    ==============================
    Canada_$10_1937_T-D03071103_face.jpg

Endeavor and Michael K like this.
  20. Nathan401

Nathan401 Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Awesome!! Anything with a train is cool. Unfortunately, many seem to feel this way, I've noticed that every time I bid on a note with a train.

21. MEC2

MEC2 Enormous Member

Heck Nathan, there are TWO trains on the note, one way out in the distance, so doubly cool...

Well, I am leaving for a few weeks coming up, which means, no new pickup posts, of course I still end up buying them while I am gone, so the stack gets deeper. Honestly, I don't know if I'll catch up before I expire. But, in the meantime, one of the last new posts for a while, this sharp looking 100 Pesetas note from Spain. I'd like to collect more notes of the 20th from Spain, alot of nice engraving and note designs, but there are only so many resources to go around. So, I grab a deal on a nice note where I can, like this one. Such nice designs, much nicer than the ugly Euro notes... blah.

upload_2017-12-29_18-3-40.png

upload_2017-12-29_18-4-6.png

Endeavor and Michael K like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted