Paper Money: New Acquisitions

Discussion in 'Paper Money' started by Dr Kegg, Dec 16, 2010.

1. Michael K

Michael K Well-Known Member

Why is it a mule? (I know what a mule is.)

Harry Brown likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Harry Brown

Harry Brown Active Member

Lovely note, with provenance. One of these days, I may stretch the budget and go in for 20's, and especially 50's. I love the classic portrait of Grant....

4. MEC2

MEC2 Enormous Member

Today's new pickup is this very nice Georgia obsolete $20 from The Mechanics Bank. Robist design here in excellent shape - the franklin intaglios look very deep, and how often do you see a sea chariot pulled by a pair of hippocampi?

upload_2017-12-11_19-50-32.png

Nathan401, old49er and MitchBailey like this.
  5. techwriter

techwriter Well-Known Member

Hmmm, like these from Dublin, Ireland ?
    Hippocampus,_Dublin.jpg

6. techwriter

Here's a few links to help in understanding mule notes.
    1. from Heritage: https://currency.ha.com/c/ref/questions.zx
    Mule Notes

Mule notes occur on both Large- and small-size notes. On Large-size notes beginning in 1921 when Frank White took office, new back plates were also created for notes being printed, however, the location of the plate number was changed! Detailed information can be found in "The Comprehensive Catalog of United States Large Size Star Notes" by Doug Murray.

A small-size mule is a note that has a micro plate number on one side and a macro plate number on the other. Micro numbers measure 0.6mm and macros measure 1mm high.

During the transition to all macro plates, both micro and macro plates were in use. Usually these different plates were side-by-side on the same press. This occurred because the BEP had a standard economic policy of using up obsolete plates rather than scrapping them. Whenever micro faces are paired with macro backs, or macro faces are paired with micro backs, a mule is produced.

Some mule notes are scarce, while some are not. Sometimes the non-mule note is scarcer than the mule note for a given series. Mules are an intriguing part of collecting small size United States paper money.

2. Link to currency dealer: http://oldcurrencyvalues.com/what_is_a_mule_note/

7. jfscmedic

jfscmedic Well-Known Member

Not really a Paper Money collector but every now and then I'll pick up something for my collection. Just bought this the other day off e-bay. I like it.

Obv.jpg Rev.jpg XX.jpg

8. techwriter

What's not to like? Good show!!

jfscmedic likes this.
  9. RICHARD K

RICHARD K MISTY & SASHA

10. TheMont

TheMont Well-Known Member

This s a bill that I've wanted to add to my collection for a long time. I was able to pick it up at my coin club's Coin Show for a great Price:

Educational Note obv..jpg Educational Note rev..jpg

Nathan401, scopru, MEC2 and 4 others like this.
  11. techwriter

Couple from recent Lyn Knight auction
    FRN_1914_$10_Fr919c_D42439938A_face.jpg FRN_1914_$10_Fr919c_D42439938A_rev.jpg FRN_1928_$5_Fr1859J_J00049085A_face.jpg FRN_1918_$5_Fr1850J_J00049085A_rev.jpg

12. MEC2

MEC2 Enormous Member

Hey TW - yep, Hippocampi... thar they blow...

Today's new pickup is another area of subcollecting interest of mine - 1928-1934 FRN stars. Some are common, some are not, and you grab em when you can get them, which is why I grabbed this one. Interesting seal color, not the normal 1928 forest green, sort of a transitional green before the always awesome lime green seals appeared in the late 1928 series and earliest 1934 runs...

upload_2017-12-14_23-16-49.png

Michael K, MitchBailey and techwriter like this.
  13. scopru

scopru Member

A noteworthy thread of worthy notes. :happy:

Great postings!!!

14. techwriter

Nice note just sitting idle in an auction, so I put in a bid.
    FRN_1934_$20_Fr2054am-E-DGS_E71325977A_face.jpg FRN_1934_$20_Fr2054am-E-DGS_E71325977A_rev.jpg

Michael K likes this.
  15. MEC2

MEC2 Enormous Member

Today's new pickup is this revolutionary era 1914 ten pesos note from Mexico's State of Chihuahua. Have to admit I do like the designs on these notes, the engraving is definitely second tier but wouldn't call it bad. Any note with a pair of rampant griffins is going to be decent...

upload_2017-12-16_14-47-17.png

upload_2017-12-16_14-47-29.png

Michael K likes this.
  16. MEC2

MEC2 Enormous Member

Another day, another new pickup, and another Chihuahua note, this time a 20 pesos of the same general issue. Same basic design, but I think I like the difference between the obverse and reverse better on the 10 pesos note. I also prefer Les Nessman's pronunciation of Chihuahua...

upload_2017-12-17_23-55-26.png

upload_2017-12-17_23-56-7.png

17. MEC2

MEC2 Enormous Member

Today's new pickup is this well worn $1 obsolete from Tennessee, the Farmers and Merchants Bank. Always like unusual overprints and blue is a bit rarer than the red and green that we often see. Alot of use on this bill, hard to believe it even survived. But I threw it a lifeline and now the big eagle at lower left has a safe nest...

upload_2017-12-18_19-49-41.png

18. TheMont

Check out the following five notes serial numbers. I live in a rural area and my local bank keeps an eye out for me.:

5 Bills 22222283-22222286.jpg

Drawde likes this.
  19. scopru

scopru Member

Good run Mont. Nice for the bank tellers to keep you in mind.

20. Nathan401

Nathan401 Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Oh man!!! I've often admired this image. Nice grab!!

21. TheMont

One of the advantages of living out in the mountains, everybody knows everybody and helps out.

I've wanted that for sometime and I caught a Dealer, at the show, that wanted cash and took a low offer from mee.

Nathan401 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted