Paper Money: New Acquisitions

Discussion in 'Paper Money' started by Dr Kegg, Dec 16, 2010.

1. MEC2

MEC2 Enormous Member

Today's new pickup is this $1000 1934 note... I was holding out on buying one because they are so expensive with so much value tied up in face, but eBay was running some special that saved me an insane amount, so... kapow.

upload_2017-11-21_1-49-43.png

upload_2017-11-21_1-49-13.png

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. SteveInTampa

SteveInTampa Always Learning

Nice pickup @MEC2 .

With banks paying nearly nothing to hold your money, you might as well hold it yourself.

4. techwriter

techwriter Well-Known Member

The S/N seems to be higher than highest reported in the Small-Size book, page 220.
    =====
    FRN_$5_1934A_B34164245B_face.jpg FRN_$5_1934A_B34164245B_rev.jpg

5. MEC2

MEC2 Enormous Member

You know, it's funny how things work. I avoided getting a large denomination note for a long time, because they cost so much and I tend not to put much money in any single note. In fact, my most expensive note was that $1000 note. So what is the very next note I get? Yep... a $500. This Chicago 1934A is I believe the most common bank on the most common issue, the 34A series, but it's a decent example in high XF maybe creeping to an AU, so hey, I'll take it! At a price of course. Turns out I got a pretty decent price on it, it lets me complete that large denom set in small size (I mean lets be real, I'll never have anything higher unless I hit the Powerball, and if I do, watch the EFF out because I am going currency CRAZY - well, that and desirable properties, and the like...). All in all, in one week, two notes for a bunch of cash, but no regrets.

upload_2017-11-21_23-18-13.png

upload_2017-11-21_23-18-1.png

old49er, Endeavor, Makanudo and 3 others like this.
  6. techwriter

Ooops, post of $10 above is incorrect; S/N is NOT higher; my bad!!:(

7. MEC2

MEC2 Enormous Member

Today's new post is not a high denomination... rather, an 1862 Maryland obsolete $1 from the Farmers and Merchants Bank of Greensborough. Seems like every town had a Farmers and Merchants Bank. At least this bank had the good sense to hire ABNCo to design this really nice note. Their quality shows, green overprint and large horse vignette. Pretty well worn but that's half the charm...

upload_2017-11-22_18-2-12.png

8. jensenbay

jensenbay Well-Known Member

Got these out of the self checkout at the grocery today.
    100_3732.JPG

9. MEC2

MEC2 Enormous Member

Today's new pickup is this great design obsolete $3 from The Mechanics Bank in Washington D.C. Few notes say Mmmerica like this note... like so many obsoletes, little changes in design make for that different appeal - large engraving of the eagle is offset left, with two denomination markers framing Big George to the right. I like an asymmetric bill design, sort of like the last obsolete above, making it stand out and interesting. And it's mine, all mine... well, there might be 7290 others out there based on this serial number.

upload_2017-11-23_13-49-7.png

10. techwriter

New acquisition for my "small change" collection
    obs_PA_1863_5cents_WHCooper-Bankers_face.jpg

11. Michael K

Michael K Well-Known Member

So what does this mean: Pay Bearer 5 Cents in current funds, when like checks are presented to amount of one of more dollars. ?
    I really like the large bills $1000 and $500, but I don't know what I would do with them. I could look at them for a few years, and then try and find buyers I guess.

12. Makanudo

Makanudo Well-Known Member

Got this today;

dk10a.jpg dk10b.jpg

old49er, Endeavor, techwriter and 2 others like this.
  13. SteveInTampa

SteveInTampa Always Learning

31F79F28-A981-4F93-AF93-3D122326C9E1.jpeg These arrived today as a contest prize from a different currency forum I am associated with. Five uncirculated consecutive 57B Aces.

old49er, Endeavor, kSigSteve and 2 others like this.
  14. techwriter

Merry Christmas to me
    ===========
    SC_1891_$2_Fr246_Windom_E16198278_face.jpg SC_1891_$2_Fr246_Windom_E16198278_rev.jpg

15. Endeavor

Endeavor Well-Known Member

16. Harry Brown

Harry Brown Active Member

I go to the wrong store!!! Great pickup

17. Michael K

Michael K Well-Known Member

Sometimes you need a bigger click than just LIKE on that 2 dollar silver certificate. That is really AWESOME. Beautiful old note, great reverse. Tremendous.

18. techwriter

Well, let me say Thanks for all the Likes on my Windom $2 silver certificate. Let me share with you the backstory on my acquisition.
    The backstory: a year ago I found a Windom in a Canadian auction and placed a bid--didn't win. Found another Windom earlier this year and placed a bid--didn't win.
    Found TWO Windom notes in a recent auction and bid on both, not sure what I would have done had I won both however. As it goes I lost one and won one.
    Now, this one I had graded as a Fine+ and bid accordingly. The note arrived and I was pleasantly surprised to find I had under-graded AND enclosed was the label I've included in this post. I've contacted PMG about a possible re-holder.
    Label included with the note, but no explanation:
    windom_PMG-label_face.jpg

Michael K likes this.
  19. techwriter

This beautiful mote was just sitting around in an auction with no bids; so I "rescued" it from obscurity:
    obs_RI_$1_Providence_bankofamerica_face.jpg

Michael K likes this.
  20. MEC2

MEC2 Enormous Member

Well, I went on a vacation cruise for a week, so you know what that means - I stopped posting. The internet is actually pretty good on the boat so I guess I could keep doing it, but that would keep me from the dining, sleeping, smooching, and usual cruise activities, so I'll just cheat a little on the boat and look at auctions, and post when I get back...

Today's new pickup is this $5 obsolete note from the Trans-Alleghany Bank of Virginia. I think the bank name is interesting, and while it might seem modernly progressive I think you needed to be on the down low back then to bank if a member of the LGBTQSHDFLKLKERTL@$!E=MC^2 community. But it's a bank, and all money is welcome... back then getting it back seemed the tricky part...

upload_2017-12-10_11-50-39.png

MitchBailey and Michael K like this.
  21. techwriter

Discovered this 'mule' in an online auction
    =============
    FRN_1934_$20_Fr2054am-E_E71325977A_face.jpg FRN_1934_$20_Fr2054am-E_E71325977A_rev.jpg

Endeavor and Harry Brown like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted