Paper Money: New Acquisitions

Discussion in 'Paper Money' started by Dr Kegg, Dec 16, 2010.

1. MEC2

MEC2 Enormous Member

Today's new pickup is this high mileage $10 Georgia obsolete from The Planters Bank. Sometimes, you see a note, and you just feel sorry for it... like a kicked puppy, it just needs a good home... not much tread left on this poor notes tires, but you can see the original engraving quality and design was quite good - alot of nice design elements, those three dimensional cameo's, alot of good engraving elements. I wonder if I spend some time slowly helping uncurl the edges, if she can't present a little better, because I can see where she was quite the looker in her youth...

upload_2017-10-20_19-33-13.png

old49er, Endeavor and Michael K like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. techwriter

techwriter Well-Known Member

4. MEC2

MEC2 Enormous Member

Those are nice examples of the 3d cameos TW (have that same note myself...)

Today's new pickup is this $50 1963A star note. I think I ended up getting this bundled with another note - I don't really collect FRN's after 1934, though I do collect other small sizes like the 1966 $100 US Notes and such. But, I got it, and it's a star... what's with the paper clips on all these? I wonder if a stapler wouldn't be preferred... the note itself is really nice other than the darn rust, makes me wonder if a little salt and lemon juice can't coax some of that rust off...

upload_2017-10-21_14-34-54.png

upload_2017-10-21_14-44-54.png

old49er and Endeavor like this.
  5. techwriter

Local coin show pickups today:
    =====
    a very clean Fr. 237 and a nice Fr. 39m (3 folds)
    ====
    brandon_show_2notes_face.jpg brandon_show_2notes_rev.jpg

old49er, Endeavor, MEC2 and 3 others like this.
  6. Michael K

Michael K Well-Known Member

I like the 1917.
    On the rust above wouldn't the salt and lemon juice bleach/ whiten/ eat through the note a little bit? Is there some safe product that restorers use to clean iron oxide off the note? Maybe one microscopic bit of rust at a time. And then, what will the "paper" look like after the rust is removed? Will it be a different color from the rest of the note?

7. techwriter

OOOOPS!!! My Bad!! The Legal Tender note in my previous post is NOT Fr. 39m, instead it is Fr. 36. That's what I get for reading the tags and not checking them for myself. Apologies all around. :(

8. MEC2

MEC2 Enormous Member

Today's new pickup is a remainder from the popular Canal Bank of Louisiana. Quality designs and bright reverses, coupled with a large supply, make the Canal Bank one of the most popular and affordable banks to collect in high quality, remainder wise.

upload_2017-10-22_22-9-40.png

upload_2017-10-22_22-9-32.png

Michael K and old49er like this.
  9. MEC2

MEC2 Enormous Member

Today's new pickup is this really nice Republic of Texas $20. Got this at a hella good deal, now I decide which to keep, this one or my other one. This one is really nice with the punch out cancel, the other, really nice, with the more common slash cancel/cross cut canel. I hate to hoard notes, seems covetous somehow to keep two of the same unless you have a good reason, someone else can enjoy it. Well, for now, we all can enjoy it right here...

upload_2017-10-24_0-2-22.png

upload_2017-10-24_0-1-50.png

Michael K likes this.
  10. techwriter

Found this trolling around eBay
    ====
    FRN_$5_1917_G50473552B_face.jpg FRN_$5_1917_G50473552B_rev.jpg

midas1 and Michael K like this.
  11. techwriter

12. techwriter

A bargain find here:
    ====
    FRN_1928_$5_K01709589A_face.jpg

MEC2 and Michael K like this.
  13. Michael K

I like the reverse on the 1914 blue seal FRN.
    On these old bank notes, it's almost like they are bank checks.

14. techwriter

Nice star note find:
    ====
    star_FRN_1950B_$20_J02676800_face.jpg

MEC2 and SteveInTampa like this.
  15. MEC2

MEC2 Enormous Member

Well I got so busy with Heritage that I plum dropped the ball posting new pickups, so let's remedy that. Today's new pickup is this pretty rare large size national $10 from Meadville, Pennsylvania. I do like a rare note on a small bank from a small town, so this fits the bill. Get it, fits the bill? I'm here all week, two shows nightly...

upload_2017-10-25_16-56-45.png

[​IMG]

MitchBailey, midas1 and Michael K like this.
  16. MitchBailey

MitchBailey Active Member

Since I’ve been slacking the past year or two, I’ll post one of my new favorite pieces from a town near my home. Type 1 $10 National from Hollidaysburg, Pa. The county seat. And a replacement to boot!

76632C5D-D265-458F-90BC-526B9D560EB5.jpeg

17. MEC2

MEC2 Enormous Member

That kind of national is right up my alley Mitch. I swear I've seen that note recently... great small town name.

Today's new pickup for me is this wrecked as %#$ note, a $20 national from Indianapolis. Nothing rare or special, just basically face value to my door, and as I said, I have a soft spot for rescue notes like this...apparently, someone ran out of TP in an emergency situation in Indianapolis, and they reached for their wallet. Well, doubt it, $20 would have bought you a suit in 1929, so...

upload_2017-10-26_20-48-48.png

upload_2017-10-26_20-48-31.png

Michael K likes this.
  18. Michael K

I've got that $10 nat currency different city. Kansas City? When I fish it out I will take a photo. Yours is in better condition, is it a replacement because of the 000 prefix serial number?

MitchBailey likes this.
  19. techwriter

Yep, I've a soft spot for 'rescued' notes; here is a Katrina survivor.
    ====
    FRN_10dol_1928_F05656464A_Katrina_face.jpg

20. techwriter

One never know what just sort of "shows up" on eBay
    ====
    FRN_$5_1950B_D27352662B_face.jpg

SteveInTampa likes this.
  21. MEC2

MEC2 Enormous Member

Today's new pickup is this pretty uncommon obsolete $10 from Kentucky. A very early obsolete design, issued in 1814, you can see engraving is dated but still some amount of effort was put in to be sure. This apparently was the first "bank" west of the Allegheny mountains - pretty neat...

upload_2017-10-27_17-22-38.png

Draft saved Draft deleted