Paper Money: New Acquisitions

Discussion in 'Paper Money' started by Dr Kegg, Dec 16, 2010.

1. hotwheelsearl

hotwheelsearl Well-Known Member

I figured I'd start posting the prices I paid for my newps - to show that you don't have to be rich to have a collection of beautiful notes!

This cost me $10.00 even.
    Here's an unsigned and undated 1852 Hungary 1 Forint, printed to fund the Hungarian revolution against the Austrian Empire. Rebellion failed, but within a few decades we had the united Empire of Austria-Hungary! I guess the revolution proved to the Austrians that Hungary was not to be trifled upon.
    This is a good companion to my hand-signed and hand-dated (to 1848) 2 Forint, seen a couple pages back.
    img077.jpg

old49er, midas1 and mpcusa like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Endeavor

Endeavor Well-Known Member

2001 "Big Head" $5 Federal Reserve Note:

1122 (1).jpg

Low serial # Hawaii Dollar:

1124 (1).jpg

1935G "No Motto" Silver Certificate

1125A (1).jpg

1966 $100 Red Seal Legal Tender Note:

1132 (1).jpg

4. hotwheelsearl

This 1907 Paraguay 5 pesos cost me $15.50.
    The obverse face looks very much like older designs of Liberty, especially with that weird hat.
    img078.jpg
    img081.jpg

Andres2, Rassi, old49er and 3 others like this.
  5. Michael K

Michael K Well-Known Member

That's a really nice note.

hotwheelsearl likes this.
  6. hotwheelsearl

Interestingly enough, the lower right hand side note says, something along the lines of "exchangeable for 50 cents in gold". The note itself has face value of 500 centavos, but you only get 50 of those if you wanted metal back from the bank. Ouch.
    (correct me if I'm wrong!)

7. Michael K

Michael K Well-Known Member

Wiki sort of explains it:
    The peso was the currency of Paraguay between 1856 and 1944. It replaced the real at a rate of 8 reales = 1 peso. Until 1870, the peso was subdivided into 8 reales. Paraguay then decimalized, with 100 centésimos = 1 peso. The name of the subdivision was changed to centavo in 1874. The peso was replaced in 1944 by the guaraní at a rate of one hundred to one.
    In 1867, Paraguay issued its first gold coins, for 4 pesos, during the War of the Triple Alliance. Bronze coins were issued in 1870 in denominations of 1, 2 and 4 centesimos, followed in 1889 by silver 1 peso. In 1900, cupro-nickel 5, 10 and 20 centavos were introduced, followed in 1925 by cupro-nickel 50 centavos and 1 and 2 pesos. In 1938, aluminium replaced cupro-nickel in these last three denominations, with cupro-nickel 5 and 10 pesos introduced the following year.

In 1856, the National Treasury issued notes in denominations of ½ and 4 reales, 1 and 2 pesos. These were followed by notes for 1 and 2 reales, 3, 4, 5 and 10 pesos by 1870.

In 1870, the General Treasury took over paper money production and issued the only notes denominated in centésimos. These were for 50 centésimos. The peso notes were denominated in "peso fuerte". Notes denominated in reales were issued until 1871. In 1874, notes for 10, 20 and 50 centavos were issued, with 20 pesos notes introduced in 1875.

In 1894, The government took direct control of note issue, with a series in denominations of 50 centavos, 1, 5, 10, 20, 50 and 100 pesos. 200 and 500 pesos notes were introduced in 1899. 50 centavos and 1 peso notes were last issued in the 1916 series. 1000 pesos notes were introduced in 1923.

In 1907, the Bank of the Republic issued notes for 5, 10, 50, 100 and 1000 pesos national money which were also denominated as 50 centavos, 1, 5 and 10 pesos in gold. Private banks such as El Banco De Comercio and Lezica y Lanús issued notes in Asunción.

8. hotwheelsearl

Interesting division between how the face value and the bullion value of the notes. But at least it was actually backed by something, as opposed to those places where money is back by the hope that the people trust in the government...

9. Small Size

Small Size Active Member

That weird hat pays homage to the cap a newly freed slave in ancient Rome had to wear for a time after being liberated.
    We used it on our coins, Mexico used it on its coins, to this day it is a central symbol of the French Republic.

10. calishield

calishield Well-Known Member

Found these beauties in circulation today! IMG_4935.JPG

ValpoBeginner and hotwheelsearl like this.
  11. hotwheelsearl

Figured it was time for one of those Philippines notes.
    1933 10 Pesos. Lovely lady on the front.
    I paid $26.67, which might have been a bit much actually.
    img102.jpg
    img103.jpg

old49er, midas1 and Michael K like this.
  12. mpcusa

mpcusa "Official C.T. TROLL SWEEPER"

13. hotwheelsearl

Got these two for $9.75 each. About market value for notes in this condition, I think.
    img104.jpg
    img106.jpg
    img105.jpg
    img107.jpg

14. mpcusa

mpcusa "Official C.T. TROLL SWEEPER"

Love the blue coloring on this one :)

15. hotwheelsearl

I paid $6.45 for this 1896 Cuba 10 pesos. Appears to be hand signed and dated, which is awesome.
    Cuban currency is so far the only ones I've seen with perforated edges, like stamps. I wonder why they did that...
    img109.jpg
    img112.jpg

16. hotwheelsearl

I paid $6.49 for this 1793 France 50 sols assignant.
    This now beats my 1848 Hungary 2 forint as the oldest note in my entire collection.
    Here's a really cool site about these particular notes:http://assignat.fr/1-assignat/ass-42e
    It's a lot of fun exercising my French skills!
    img111.jpg

Michael K and Silverhouse like this.
  17. hotwheelsearl

This 1948 20 Deutsche Mark was a little expensive at $24.22, and I ended up not really liking it all that much when it came in.
    But it seems to be a decent price that I paid as most other examples are listed for twice that and at worse condition.
    img110.jpg
    img113.jpg

18. Small Size

Small Size Active Member

I don't see a monarch, who in this case would have George VI. I see an allegorical representation of Britannia.

19. Small Size

Small Size Active Member

20. hotwheelsearl

So 100 Korun back then was the equivalent of $20 back then ($490) today?
    If so, that's really really neat. I absolutely love finding out the exchange rates between old currency!

21. hotwheelsearl

I paid $4.75 for this Spanish 25 pesetas. I really liked the lyre muse on the reverse.
    I also decided to push my photo scanner to it's limit, 1200 DPI. The amount of magnification you can do is insane.
    img114.jpg
    img117.jpg

Michael K likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted