Paper Money: New Acquisitions

Discussion in 'Paper Money' started by Dr Kegg, Dec 16, 2010.

1. MEC2

MEC2 Enormous Member

Steve - it's 1841, engraved on the note. In hand it feels like Charmin, but I would not use it as such, paper has no strength integrity and would leave you with a stinkfinger...

Here's another rarer obsolete note, again well traveled but a bit better shape than the last, this 1836 $5 from the Phoenix Bank in Massachusetts. Only a handful of all denoms on Heritage for this note, big wide center engraving here, always like sailing ships on notes, wide harbor scene here...

[​IMG]

old49er, midas1 and SteveInTampa like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. MEC2

MEC2 Enormous Member

So you say you like wide engravings, well this new pickup has it, this Rhode Island $3 from the Tiverton Bank. As I've mentioned $3 is pretty much my favorite denomination in obsoletes, so always nice to get an additiona. A popular note that has a great, wide designed engaving and a pop of color in the red overprint.I mean it has a train, a ship, an Eagle for Mmmerica, and some chicks who appear well armed and ready to party...

[​IMG]

old49er, jester3681 and icerain like this.
  4. techwriter

techwriter Well-Known Member

Few acquisitions from local show:
    ==
    [​IMG]
    ==
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    ==
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

5. old49er

old49er Well-Known Member

good stuff guys. I just picked up this cool little note the other day... 2pesetasspain1938obv.jpg 2pesetasspain1938rev.jpg

techwriter, midas1, MEC2 and 2 others like this.
  6. silentnviolent

silentnviolent accumulator--selling--make an offer I can't refuse

7. MEC2

MEC2 Enormous Member

Today's new pickup is another obsolete, this one a $2 from the Danby Bank in Vermont, a state I don't have a ton of notes from. I like the design with the big fancy two counter at the bottom left and the big red overprint under the center vignette. The girl at right is an engraving found on a popular CSA train note...

[​IMG]

old49er, techwriter and MitchBailey like this.
  8. mpcusa

mpcusa "Official C.T. TROLL SWEEPER"

9. techwriter

MEC2, another great example of anti-counterfeiting; anti-denomination raising protectors on the Danby Bank note. One of my favorites is this $2 from the Stonington bank. Thanks for posting.
    ==
    [​IMG]
    ==

saltysam-1, midas1 and old49er like this.
  10. old49er

old49er Well-Known Member

Love those old obsolete notes. Been looking at a few. Doing a little research first... Wanting to buy a few, made for local banks, here in Michigan. I have a question for you guys. Which do you think is better? signed ,or unsigned? I like the signed and dated ones better, as it adds more interest to me. But the unsigned ones usually appear in better condition. Some I want, appear to be pretty rare. So I think I will buy them, even though they are unsigned. What's your opinion on this. Do you buy both? Or is there a preference? Thanks for any feedback

11. Cmcart

Cmcart Well-Known Member

:cigar:00000777*:cigar::cigar::cigar::cigar::cigar::cigar::cigar::cigar:Boeing 777 triple 7✈️✈️✈️✈️✈️

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    :cigar:00000787*:cigar::cigar::cigar::cigar::cigar::cigar::cigar::cigar:Boeing 787 Dreamliner✈️✈️✈️✈️✈️

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 13, 2016
  12. mpcusa

mpcusa "Official C.T. TROLL SWEEPER"

13. techwriter

Old49er, I guess it depends on one's perspective. I well remember the days when the unsigned remainder notes were "cheap" now they are being "slabbed" and the prices are going to the sky. For me the signed/issued notes are a real window into history of their times. I don't collect obsoletes anymore but still pursue historical perspectives of them. Well, full disclosure, I still collect the "small change" notes (less than $1).

old49er likes this.
  14. SteveInTampa

SteveInTampa Always Learning

My latest Florida Obsolete from the recent Stacks-Bowers ANA auction.

Lot Description
    Fernandina, Florida. Bank of Fernandina. December 1, 1859. $5. Fine.
    (Haxby FL-20 G2a) A popular Florida bank with this example being printed with red denomination protector end panels. Average wear is seen which is a little heavier along the top. Bold inks and strong detail remain.
    From the Old Virginia Collection.

[​IMG]

Photo and description courtesy Stacks-Bowers

Edited to add my own scan of the note;

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 24, 2016
    kookoox10 and MEC2 like this.
  15. techwriter

Thought these two would fit nicely in my collection:
    ==
    [​IMG]
    ==

midas1 likes this.
  16. Paul M.

Paul M. Well-Known Member

My one and only bank note. One of only 9 for this type and denomination in existence, according to the census, and the second finest.

National $20 obverse.jpg
    National $20 reverse.jpg

techwriter and MEC2 like this.
  17. MEC2

MEC2 Enormous Member

Sure like that Fernandina note Steve...

Well, today's pickup is a nice designed $3 Michigan obsolete remainder from the Tecumseh Bank. Alot of nice, ornate design elements, the indian in repose at right is also seen on the $20 Republic of Texas note of well regard and high demand. And hey, it's a $3 so you know I'm gonna like it... those sideways 3's are sure snazzy...

[​IMG]

saltysam-1 and Paul M. like this.
  18. techwriter

A few new ones from local show today; 1934D WIDE and NARROW at one place for ONE price.
    ==
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    ==

19. techwriter

Another pair today; VERY reasonable:
    ==
    [​IMG]

20. techwriter

Another pair for really great price.
    ==
    [​IMG]

21. MEC2

MEC2 Enormous Member

Today's new pickup is this pleasing $10 Georgia obsolete from the Bank of Milledgeville. Some big engraving elements and a busy but nice design. The value overprint was not yet colored, guess they hadn't rolled that out quite yet down round those parts...

Milledgeville also produced the State of Georgia banknotes during the Civil War era, so the name might be familiar. And it was the fictional home city of Julia Roberts whore with a heart of gold character in Pretty Woman. Seriously, it was...

[​IMG]

Endeavor and SteveInTampa like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted