Paper Money: New Acquisitions

Discussion in 'Paper Money' started by Dr Kegg, Dec 16, 2010.

1. MEC2

MEC2 Enormous Member

That's pleasing modern design on that Ireland note...

Today's new pickup is a nicer grade 1863 Confederate-era state issue from Georgia. The Georgia civil war state series changed each year with different design elements, this year the center seal with the encircled viper was used on the notes from this series. Also, the colored issue stamp wham right in the middle... I believe that changed year to year as well, as red, green, and black are noted on them...

[​IMG]

heuvy31, jester3681 and Quant.Geek like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Quant.Geek

Quant.Geek Well-Known Member

That is a very nice one, and one that is missing from my collection! Kudos!

4. techwriter

techwriter Well-Known Member

An early Georgia note, from 1862
    ==
    [​IMG]

5. Quant.Geek

Quant.Geek Well-Known Member

Another nice Georgia note! Any of those for sale :D

6. techwriter

Quant.Geek likes this.
  7. MEC2

MEC2 Enormous Member

Today's new pickup is this 1923 Greek Five Drachma note. I collected Greek notes because they often include classic coin designs or other classical elements, and the reverse here has the bust of Athena, which makes up for the unphotogenic Stavros on the front, sort of the founding father of Greek Banking...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

heuvy31, DUNK 2, jester3681 and 2 others like this.
  8. techwriter

A couple new ones from a Lyn Knight auction:
    == nice replacement note from Scotland
    [​IMG]
    == nice replacement note from Jersey
    [​IMG]
    == a four bits note from my Mississippi homeland
    [​IMG]
    == and of course a fine radar note from North Carolina
    [​IMG]

9. saltysam-1

saltysam-1 Junior Member

This note is private script from the Hydeville Company located in Vermont. They produced notes valued at 5c-10c-25c and 50c, all with the pre-printed date of October 1st, 1862. The mill produced marble slabs and is still doing it currently in an updated facility in the Hydeville/Castlewood area. The original owners of the mill, Pitt and Arthur Hyde, pre-printed their signature on all of their fractional notes but assigned the serial numbers as needed. They had control of the water power in the area. They also owned the only railroad station in Rutland County where the quarries are. I imagine they had influence over the other mills in the area as well. The script has a full red panel overlay with the value printed at center. I noticed a streak running through the denomination stamp in the upper right hand corner. At first I thought it might be a crease but it is not. It may have been caused by a guide wheel when printing the overlay. That would mean the first printing wasn't dry before the second was applied. I have a stereo microscope so I have included one picture at 5x and another at 10x. You can see there are no torn fibers or paper damage, but the ink has been partially removed by possible friction contact. I have looked at several other Hydeville Company notes and they do not have this anomalies on them. P1010097.JPG P1010100.JPG P1010108.JPG

heuvy31, DUNK 2 and techwriter like this.
  10. Twobit

Twobit Active Member

Some wicked sweet notes in this thread
    long read but well worth it.
    Nice notes one and all.

11. techwriter

Surprise, surprise, surprise look what I found on the Heritage auction. My first two radars from the Large Size field.
    ==
    [​IMG]
    ==
    [​IMG]

Endeavor, heuvy31, DUNK 2 and 3 others like this.
  12. Nevadabell

Nevadabell A picture of me.

Gotta love that blue ink on the Lebanon, Kentucky $10.

13. saltysam-1

saltysam-1 Junior Member

Last edited: Jan 27, 2016
  14. BunkerTrapMan

BunkerTrapMan Overcoming adversity is the key to happiness

I just fell in love with this bill from Spain.
    The female engraving is just beautiful to me, I may even change my Avatar.
    How can I find out who did this feature? spain_85a.jpg spain_85aback.jpg

15. Sullykerry2

Sullykerry2 Humble Collector Willing to Learn

The 1935 Five Peseta note was issued just before the Spanish Civil War. The picture of the lady is an allegorical on representing the "Ideal Spanish Lady" See http://www.banknotes.com/es85.htm
    The Spanish Civil War lasted from 1936 to 1939 when the Republicans capitulated to the Nationalists under Franco.

16. techwriter

Came across this nice LGS note at a Heritage auction recently:
    ==
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Endeavor, heuvy31, MEC2 and 1 other person like this.
  17. BunkerTrapMan

BunkerTrapMan Overcoming adversity is the key to happiness

[​IMG]
    SteveInTampaInnocent bystander
    Nice note, but not from a sheet.
    This note may be a MULE. Check the BP number, and if it 585 or higher, it is a mule. The highest recorded serial for a series 1934 $10 Mule is one serial number higher than yours....B99975334A.

SteveinTampa
    well I received the Lyn Knight Bill I won and as you mentioned in your post this could be what you call a mule.
    So the number on the backside of the bill is 593 and on the front of the bill is 155
    I can see the difference in the size of the numbers, that is just dam cool.

18. DUNK 2

DUNK 2 Well-Known Member

Another pair of Black Eagles. . . Should I send them for grading?

Fr 233 Front.jpg Fr 233 Back.jpg

MEC2, midas1, saltysam-1 and 4 others like this.
  19. DUNK 2

DUNK 2 Well-Known Member

@SteveInTampa
    I've always valued your opinion on Notes. Realizing that my photography skills are sub-par, are these Notes worthy of grading?

20. saltysam-1

saltysam-1 Junior Member

Simply said: Yes, definitely worthy. Plus they have sequential serial numbers so you don't want either one to get damaged.

BunkerTrapMan likes this.
  21. SteveInTampa

SteveInTampa Always Learning

Yes. Very nice set of consecutive Black Eagles. Gem centering, great colors and terrific eye appeal on iconic large size US paper currency. I would have them graded just to verify the original paper quality.

Draft saved Draft deleted