Paper Money: New Acquisitions

Discussion in 'Paper Money' started by Dr Kegg, Dec 16, 2010.

1. Quant.Geek

Quant.Geek Well-Known Member

Had to give some company for my lonely $2 De Soto note, so I picked up this note. Just love the Indians on the lower left.

desoto-03.jpg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. MEC2

MEC2 Enormous Member

Today's new pickup as we approach Thanksgiving is this super sharp Rail Road obsolete, the from the South Carolina Rail Road Company. These notes aren't traditional currency like a bank issued note, but they were traded as currency... RR I don't think were allowed to issue notes, so they wanted in on the action, and this is how they did it. Spectacular looking issues that were good for train fare and were traded just like regular notes in many instances... heck, I just like the design...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

midas1, Timewarp, saltysam-1 and 2 others like this.
  4. MEC2

MEC2 Enormous Member

Today's new pickup on this national day of Thanksgiving is a new note I am truly thankful for, this 1875 National $10 from the Winters Bank of Dayton, OH. I think the 1875 are my favorite series because of the neat reverses they had. Red overprint has a nice pop on this note, my first and I think only note of this type right now...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

midas1, gsalexan, bonniview and 5 others like this.
  5. Inquisitive

Inquisitive Starting 2 know something

Oh wow!!!!!!

6. Quant.Geek

Quant.Geek Well-Known Member

Ditto. The vignettes are stunning with an outstanding reverse!

7. saltysam-1

saltysam-1 Junior Member

A red seal to boot!

8. Bucephalus

Bucephalus Active Member

I do, I do. And the two, too. Living in Berlin, CT, so it's nice to see some oldies from my neck of the woods.

9. MEC2

MEC2 Enormous Member

Well took a few days off, have a couple more days before I leave on vacation, so here we go...

Today's new pickup is this weirdly denominated $4 bill from the Bank of Monroe. Now the $3 is my favorite odd-ball currency, odd number and rare but enough to make them collectible. Fours are far rarer still, not a ton of them out there. So, I was pleased to get one to add to my tiny $4 collection...

[​IMG]

gsalexan, MitchBailey and rev1774 like this.
  10. MEC2

MEC2 Enormous Member

Today's new pickup is this small sized star note, the last of the series I collect, the 1934-D series. The 1950's changed a few things and I just had to pick a point to stop, so I go after the 28-34 series small stars. The fives are tougher than you might think, even a more common district like Chicago...

[​IMG]

techwriter and SteveInTampa like this.
  11. slackaction1

slackaction1 Supporter! Supporter

wow nice job mec2 u got that today..

12. Skippy Topaz

Skippy Topaz PAPERBOY

I had a feeling this might happen when I joined this forum... I have to confess that in all these years of collecting currency, I was not aware of these types of notes until I saw them posted in this thread...

I accidentally came across this one while searching the web and obsessing over all the beautiful currency out there and it just called out to me.. I think it's such a cool looking note that I pulled the trigger before I even realized what was happening.. I just love it...

I hope I didn't just open up a Pandora's Box... along with my wallet...

[​IMG]

gsalexan, saltysam-1, rev1774 and 7 others like this.
  13. MEC2

MEC2 Enormous Member

Outstanding note Skippy, that design is truly spectacular.

Today's new pickup is a Civil War era state issues obsolete, this a $1 from the State of Mississippi. These notes from Mississippi were at first backed by being "Cotton Pledged" as seen in the blue overprint. Later on, these devolved to a "Faith of the State" backing, also seen in overprints both blue and in a red-green. Not sure why I started collecting the state issues from Mississippi in particular, I think it was the colorful overprints, the blue and then the red-green... fairly popular and well sought, these cost more than you might think...

[​IMG]

14. techwriter

techwriter Well-Known Member

Yes, indeed Mississippi notes are more costly than one would suppose:
    == R7, only one known Kraus 27883r
    [​IMG]
    ==
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 4, 2015
    saltysam-1, MEC2, bonniview and 2 others like this.
  15. techwriter

New note, picked up from Canadian auction:
    ==
    [​IMG]
    ==
    [​IMG]

Timewarp and slackaction1 like this.
  16. techwriter

Also from the Canadian auction
    == nice Canadian Star note ( Replacement note)
    [​IMG]
    ==
    [​IMG]

MEC2 likes this.
  17. techwriter

SkippyTopaz, You have not only opened Pandora's box (and your wallet) but you've opened the doors to an educational opportunity that can last a lifetime. It's not so much that the notes are beautiful it's the history behind the banks and the locations and the printers and the signers. Get your notebooks ready. Do browse and watch and study as you begin your journey into a fascinating part of America's financial history.
    Here's just an example of the beauty in these notes:
    [​IMG]

gsalexan, jester3681 and saltysam-1 like this.
  18. MEC2

MEC2 Enormous Member

Well, today's new pickup will be my last for several weeks as I hit the Caribbean for a while. This note is from a completely different sea, the Med, as this is a tougher Greek issue, a NEON series 25 Drachma note. Great engraving design work from ABNCo and I'd expect nothing less... the NEON notes were released to replace the previous series that are usually found torn in half - half remained in circulation, at half face value, the other half treated as a bond coupon that matured in 20 years. All to finance the Greek state.

Anyone telling you Greece's problems with finance are the result of predatory lending and credit swaps from 2008, or German occupation in WW2, or anything other than gross general fiscal irresponsibility can just look at those series of torn notes to realize Greece has been a monetary dumpster fire for a century now...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

hotwheelsearl and midas1 like this.
  19. saltysam-1

saltysam-1 Junior Member

I short ladder note as well.

20. Skippy Topaz

Skippy Topaz PAPERBOY

It's definitely opened up rabbit hole... I spent an hour and a half looking at obsoletes online the other day.. amazing.. there are so many different designs... Did every town that printed notes have their own local printers/designers/engravers?

I agree.. After seeing all of your pick-ups, you must already have one of those :)

21. techwriter

Skippy, perhaps if you begin with a focus on your home state/localities; will truly narrow the "broad" scope for you. You might also want to shop around for a copy of the Haxby obsolete banknotes books, they are available on CD which are cheaper.
    http://www.shopnumismaster.com/shop-by-interest/us-paper-money
    That will be a start for you. Also a membership in SPMC. Good hunting.

Draft saved Draft deleted