Paper Money: New Acquisitions

Discussion in 'Paper Money' started by Dr Kegg, Dec 16, 2010.

1. mikep

mikep Active Member

Damn I meant 20's, I was so smitten with your 1914 Jackson up there

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. MEC2

MEC2 Enormous Member

Alas, not a member... or you know I would. Get a 60 and I'll edge bump it for you.

Today's new pickup is another obsolete, this one a nice looking 1854 $5 from the Bank of Milledgeville in Georgia. This is from the zombie bank era of this bank, it closed in the 1840's and then reopened in 1854, only to fail again that year.

Most folks have never heard of Milledgeville, but if you collect early obsoletes, it is positively everywhere on Georgia notes, and all the State of Georgia Confederate era notes. Turns out it was the capital of Georgia during the civil war and the decades preceding, before Atlanta was... bet you didn't know that.

Oh and it was also the home of Julia Roberts character in Pretty Woman. Bet you didn't know that either. She has all this Confederate money and nobody will help her...

[​IMG]

hotwheelsearl and Effigy303 like this.
  4. MitchBailey

MitchBailey Active Member

Should have this back soon:

front9.jpg back9.jpg

mikep, SteveInTampa and MEC2 like this.
  5. Timewarp

Timewarp Intrepid Traveler

+1 On the $10.00 notes.

6. MEC2

MEC2 Enormous Member

Well I liked my last Georgia obsolete so much (nice big engravings on it), let's stay in Georgia for this new note, a Merchants and Planters Bank $10. More quality engraving, including a large one lower right of the image common to Georgia notes (not sure it it's the state seal, or what the right terminology is for it, but it's a symbol present on tons of Georgia notes). Love the fancy overprint protectors, and the engraving quality is high, what else would we expect from those Yankees at ABNCo...

[​IMG]

7. MEC2

MEC2 Enormous Member

Today's new pickup is another obsolete, this one a $1 from the wonderfully named Erie and Kalamazoo Rail Road Bank. Now strangely, no trains, but a very nautical theme, with the anchor, and ships, ships and more ships in the large well engraved central vignette...

[​IMG]

8. MEC2

MEC2 Enormous Member

Today's new get is one of the first post-WW2 Occupation notes from the Bank of Greece, a surprisingly hard to get note in decent condition. Nike on the front, a Phoenix on the back, this 1944 50-drachma note has the engraving style of the majority of the WW2 inflationary notes. Surprisingly I don't think Nike appears on many Greek notes...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Jwt708 and rooman9 like this.
  9. furryfrog02

furryfrog02 Well-Known Member

I pulled a star note out of a strap today and I tried checking it on mycurrencycollection.com but it doesn't show up. Can anybody help?
    The serial number is : B00143917*

Here are the 3 interesting notes from today:
    2013 Star Note
    24Jun15 $1 2013 Star.jpg

Birthday Note(I think?) 1930 31 July.
    24Jun15 $1 Birthday 19303107.jpg

1974(Nothing special, just the first 1974 I've come across)
    24Jun15 $1 1974.jpg

Last edited: Jun 24, 2015
    NOS, mikep and 50011005 like this.
  10. MEC2

MEC2 Enormous Member

Well took a day or so off, sorry for the pause, let me make it up to you with BAM this dynamite looking Havre-de-Grace $5 obsolete note. Fantastic engraving, there is stuff going on all over this note... the great detail in all the 5 counters... and there are... five 5 counters? Seems just right to me. Love the detail in this note, and just a right amount of ink gall in the signatures to give it that old note smell...

[​IMG]

11. mikep

mikep Active Member

Nice, i just got a similarly cool $10 bill in change yesterday.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1435214604.659810.jpg

12. Numbers

Numbers Senior Member

Aha! You found it! :cool:

The BEP has never reported printing any 2013 $1 B..* notes, but several notes from run 2 have appeared in circulation over the past few months--one of the monthly production reports must have failed to list this run for some reason.

If run 2 was printed, though, that left us wondering what had become of run 1. And your note is the first I've heard of with a serial low enough to belong to that missing run. So, congratulations, you just caught *another* mistake in the BEP monthly reports. :rolleyes:

Somebody on Ebay had a full strap of B..* notes from run 2, showing that that run was used as replacement straps. Therefore, it seems likely that run 1 was used as replacement sheets, since Washington would have needed those at the start of its 50-subject printings. Sheet-replacement runs are usually the short runs, so your star may well be scarce. All we know so far is that if you've got serial number 00143917, then the run was at least 145,000 notes (2900 sheets). It could potentially be as large as a full 3,200,000 notes, but if it's truly a sheet-replacement run, then my guess is that it's nowhere close to that.

If anybody else finds any 2013 $1 B..* notes with serials under 03200000, please let us all know so that we can get a bit more information on the size of the run. And if you find any *other* star runs that the BEP never told us about, those are interesting too....

NOS, mikep and furryfrog02 like this.
  13. furryfrog02

furryfrog02 Well-Known Member

Thanks Numbers for the information! :)

14. USS656

USS656 Here to Learn Supporter

This will not mean anything to anyone but our family. It's my sons birthday note with kind regards from CT - member 50011005. He has quite a few notes available and one just happened to be important to us. :D

[​IMG]

15. 50011005

50011005 Member

This is the 29th Birthday Note match in the past 10 months! Give my best to your son :)

16. mikep

mikep Active Member

That's cool, I forgot I just got a pack of 50 sequential $2 bills.

Anyone know if there's a acrylic case for something like this? ImageUploadedByTapatalk1435290928.635636.jpg

17. MEC2

MEC2 Enormous Member

Wow, not alot of love for that HdG note, surprising as it has boobies. BOOBIES.

Today's new pickup is another in a span of fantastically named obosletes (Havre-de-Grace, Erie and Kalamazoo, and now...) - this five from the Somerset and Worcester Savings Bank is a real nice example. Issued but in great condition, with great engraving from ABNCo on really delicate paper. The vignette on the side appears in other later notes that ABNCo did, I know of at least one Czech note that has it...

[​IMG]

Jwt708, SteveInTampa and Effigy303 like this.
  18. MEC2

MEC2 Enormous Member

Today's new pickup is a new Scotland note for me, Commercial Bank of Scotland 5 pounds. I do like notes of a different color, and purple is different to be sure. Turn of the century motif on the reverse, you can practically hear them saying "Good day and well met sir, pardon me, do you have any Grey Poupon?"

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Jwt708 and Effigy303 like this.
  19. MEC2

MEC2 Enormous Member

Today's new pickup is one of my favorite world specialty areas of collecting, the old private banks of Costa Rica. Great notes with amazing designs, and this 1901 20 Colones note from the Banco de Costa Rica does not disappoint. Vivid red front and detailed back, I love the turn of the 20th century notes from here. The front features the first armed FTD delivery man... I kid of course, it's actually a memorial with an interesting story, a drummer in the army who volunteered to try to set fire to a defensive redoubt, killed doing so but successful in setting the blaze that led to the Costa Rican victory. Happy Juan Santamaria day!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Jwt708 and Effigy303 like this.
  20. MEC2

MEC2 Enormous Member

Today's new pickup is a colorful $20 obsolete from the Central Bank of Virginia. The fine work of the fine folks at ABNCo is evident in the engraving quality, and the red overprint details are nice examples of late obsolete counterfeit protection. You have the milkmaid in the field, an always-awesome train engraving, and what might be justice at left, holding the scales but with that blade in easy reach, in case a %&#$^ needs to get cut...

[​IMG]

Jwt708, kookoox10, Effigy303 and 2 others like this.
  21. SteveInTampa

SteveInTampa Always Learning

Fine looking cattle right there, and who doesn't love a train vignette.

Draft saved Draft deleted