Paper Money: New Acquisitions

Discussion in 'Paper Money' started by Dr Kegg, Dec 16, 2010.

1. MitchBailey

MitchBailey Active Member

Since I'm missing the PAN show this weekend, I treated myself to this beauty!

1914 $5 cga 001.jpg 1914 $5 cga 002.jpg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. midas1

midas1 Exalted Member

"gives me confidence that the modification was contemporary and not recent"

[​IMG]

Very nice. I have not seen one with a hitler stamp.
    This one is very cool what with the boater's rope going to hitler's neck.

Paddy54 likes this.
  4. MEC2

MEC2 Enormous Member

Holy Crap, this thread fell to like the third page with no posts in two weeks! Well, I'm back from my latest vacation so we'll have to change that and ride this thread like a rented mule...

Today's new pickup is an obsolete in great condition, this $5 from the Washtenaw Bank, a Michigan bank that opened, closed, and then reopened, 1835 to 1846 and then from 1853 to 1854. This sharp note is from the earliest days of the bank, in 1835, features nicer earlier vignette engraving for the time, Indian in a canoe is always a winner... alot of collectible designs from this bank from both eras.

[​IMG]

5. Mat

Mat Ancient Coincoholic

Lovley note!

6. SteveInTampa

SteveInTampa Always Learning

Beautiful vignette's on your Michigan obsolete MEC2.

I picked my first Tallahassee Railroad obsolete $3 a while back, and now, I just picked up my first Tallahassee Railroad sheet.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

7. rooman9

rooman9 Lovin Shiny Things

Latest pickup. For my World War 2 set.
    IMG_1782.JPG IMG_1783.JPG

Galen59 and MitchBailey like this.
  8. MEC2

MEC2 Enormous Member

Sure like those RR notes Steve...

Time for a new pickup... I do love oddball denominations in my obsoletes, $2's are great but I am a total sucker for $3 notes, so here's one from Michigan's Bank of Manchester. Alot going on in the design and it strikes me several banks in Michigan had similar designs to this around the same time, not sure if that was a conscious choice or not, but it makes me do a double take when looking at notes to see if I have them already or not...

[​IMG]

Effigy303, mackwork and rooman9 like this.
  9. MEC2

MEC2 Enormous Member

Today's new get is, yes, another obsolete (mentioned a while back to prepare for the obsolanche...), this one a very sharp Michigan $1 from the Adrian Insurance Company. Alot of collectible designs from this bank, and this one is no exception, popular man on horseback that appears here and a couple other notes as well. Always love Native American's engraved on notes, this one is more interesting because it has a Native American with what appears to be an 18th century firearm. Nice condition and a red overprint protector are the cherry's on the sundae for this note....

[​IMG]

gsalexan, Effigy303 and SteveInTampa like this.
  10. MEC2

MEC2 Enormous Member

Let's change direction for today's new pickup, my slow assault to collect as many kinds of 1928-1934 series small head stars continues apace, though at a slowing pace as more people are collecting and prices rising, can't get as many as I used to... this $20 from Richmond is of the 1934 DGS variety, but is a solid note so I say welcome!

[​IMG]

Paddy54, bonniview, Effigy303 and 2 others like this.
  11. MEC2

MEC2 Enormous Member

Today's new pickup is a bit scarcer contemporary counterfeit, a $2 from the Bank of Albion. Alot of work went into this counterfeit, including the colored overprint. With so many banks making so many notes, this had to just be the heydey for anyone who could draw and had a supply of paper around...

[​IMG]

Jwt708 and Effigy303 like this.
  12. Jwt708

Jwt708 Well-Known Member

13. gsalexan

gsalexan Intaglio aficionado

I'm loving these Michigan obsoletes! I collect Washtenaw County notes and have those two myself. Since Michigan didn't gain statehood until 1837, your Bank of Washtenaw note is technically a territorial issue.

Steve, that Tallahassee RR sheet is fantastic!! I've not seen an uncut sheet of those before -- really attractive. Expensive?

14. MEC2

MEC2 Enormous Member

GS - more Michigan to come down the line to be sure...

Today's new get is an addition to my Chester note collection, trying to collect as many as possible, this one comes from a bit tougher bank in West Virginia (as opposed to the more common South Carolina ones). Got a good price and you never know how often you are gonna get shots at some banks with lower populations of known notes, so very pleased to get this one!

[​IMG]

Paddy54 likes this.
  15. jensenbay

jensenbay Well-Known Member

Picked these up today at the LCS.

img558.jpg

img559.jpg

gsalexan and MEC2 like this.
  16. MEC2

MEC2 Enormous Member

I want to love that Venezuela note but the engraving quality on the reverse isn't near what I expect from ABNCo engraving. It *does* look typical of TDLR like the note above - wonder if it was just a reprint of an earlier TDLR design. I do like the big vulture/condor on that bottom Colombia note...

...and how timely to show a TDLR note from South America, because my next new pickup is indeed a TDLR note from Brazil! This is the red/red variant, there is a blue variant which was done by ABNCo as well. Not sure what the shenanigans were with this, why these notes were done by different engravers at different times, but I'm sure it's dodgy. This 5000 Cruzeiros note those does pop with a bold red even if it is the JV team engraving...

Interestingly, I believe the reverse caption on this note basically translates to "before the beheading of Tiradentes"...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

17. jensenbay

jensenbay Well-Known Member

The second half of the notes I picked up yesterday.

img560.jpg

img561.jpg

rooman9 likes this.
  18. SteveInTampa

SteveInTampa Always Learning

My latest Florida Obsolete, with a description from Heritage;

Tallahassee, FL - State of Florida $2 Mar. 1, 1863 Cr. 18
    Printed by Keatinge & Ball, this bright note features vignettes of Ceres and an Indian maiden along with a large vignette of a passenger train. A large unoxidized red-orange TWO protector completes the design. PMG grades this lightly handled note About Uncirculated 50 Net, for a few small stains. Fully framed and actually with gigantic margins seen on all sides.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

bonniview and MEC2 like this.
  19. MEC2

MEC2 Enormous Member

State of Florida, expensive state, not as expensive as Republic of Texas notes have (insanely) gotten, but still pricey nice designs...

Let's stay in South America for today's new pickup, this is an awesome looking design from Paraguay. Yellow not really common on alot of notes, this one pops with great design and engraving, and a sharp blue back, nice work done by Waterlow et. al... just a sharp 100 Pesos note.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Effigy303 and midas1 like this.
  20. MEC2

MEC2 Enormous Member

Today's new pickup is another country heard from, this time The Philippines, under US rule until after WW2... this 5 Pesos note is a great design, the well known McKinley portrait, great BEP engraving, and a pop of color both on the red seal and the great gold colored back. Love these early small size notes as much if not more than their US counterparts - just a bit more artistic and dynamic.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

gsalexan, Effigy303 and midas1 like this.
  21. MEC2

MEC2 Enormous Member

Sorry for missing the last few days, got tied up in a masterful game of Civ IV and conquering the world became very high priority.

Speaking of the world, lets stay in The Philippines for this new pickup, a Ten Pesos note with another eye-popping red seal. I admit that this is not my favorite engraving of Washington, likely my least favorite, which is odd because by far the BEST engraving of Washington on money is ALSO on a Philippines bank note, another ten pesos design, shown at bottom. Yeah, thats President Kickass right there...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Draft saved Draft deleted