Paper Money: New Acquisitions

Discussion in 'Paper Money' started by Dr Kegg, Dec 16, 2010.

1. cletis faye

cletis faye Well-Known Member

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. gsalexan

gsalexan Intaglio aficionado

In the philatelic world this is known as revenue stamped paper. That Lincoln is a 5 cent federal tax stamp - you see these quite often on old checks, stocks and bonds, but very rarely on obsolete notes. In truth, this was a receipt of payment (which was taxable), though it circulated as a banknote.
    www.americanstampdealer.com/SubMenu/Abraham_Lincoln.aspx?id=383

Last edited: Apr 2, 2015
  4. MitchBailey

MitchBailey Active Member

Picked up a couple nice $50's today, a 1928 and 1928-A FRN Cleveland district.

1928 $50 001.jpg 1928 $50 002.jpg

Endeavor, USS656, saltysam-1 and 2 others like this.
  5. MitchBailey

4-2-15 001.jpg A couple crisp consecutive 1928-B $10 FRN's were for sale, so I picked them up too.

USS656 likes this.
  6. MitchBailey

Another 1928-B $10 FRN. Serial is higher than observed in Schwartz Lindquist.

4-2-15 002.jpg

7. MitchBailey

And finally, my favorite new acquisition of the day, a sharp 1928 $20 FRN. Also from Cleveland.

Attached Files:

saltysam-1 likes this.
  8. MEC2

MEC2 Enormous Member

Thanks for the great info gsalexan... and I like your pickups Mitch, those 50's are sharp. I like the 28B series though I tend to go after the lime ones...

Today's new pickup is back to obsolete-town, this popular note from the Citizens' Bank of Louisiana features great two-tone engraving from the fine lads at ABNCo, and a colored reverse print for an added bonus. This whole series is not uncommon but is popular due to the great design...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. Mat

Mat Ancient Coincoholic

Beautiful indeed!

10. justbored

justbored Active Member

Cheaper than any currency note on either bank and much more seldomly encountered, here's 2 really cool checks from the 1850's and 60's.
    [​IMG]

11. MEC2

MEC2 Enormous Member

Today's new pickup (none yesterday, sorry, went to Six Flags and that wipes me out at my now middle-age) is a $50 obsolete from Confederate Georgia. The Georgia state issues are varied and neat to collect, they change year to year in design, this is from the 1864 series. So, the different denominations like $5, $10, $20, $50 share the same big central vignette with Moneta, with different design on the endcaps for the denominations. I do like this issue, big red overprint (only on the $50 and $100), and alot of engraving going on with big sigs, attractive note in my book.

Interesting side note - Milledgeville GA where these notes are sourced was the hometown of Julia Roberts' character in Pretty Woman, where she has all this money and nobody wants to help her... sob sob...

[​IMG]

Effigy303 and Mic123 like this.
  12. Mat

Mat Ancient Coincoholic

Really beautiful note.

13. MEC2

MEC2 Enormous Member

Well happy Easter, and a great time for new pickup that is loaded with color. This is a very nice Brazil 20 mil reis note from 1931. As with most earlier Brazil notes, they are hand signed at the bank at issue, so the signature is a feature, not a bug! Love the big bright orange reverse and design, and the front features Kevin's old grizzled next door neighbor from Home Alone...great quality engraving from the chaps at ABNCo.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Paddy54, midas1, USS656 and 2 others like this.
  14. saltysam-1

saltysam-1 Junior Member

MitchBailey:

Those notes are all so clean and well cared for. Are you entertaining any thoughts about having them graded? I would do it for the protection alone. They are all winners.

Paddy54 likes this.
  15. USS656

USS656 Here to Learn Supporter

Nothing to wow about but these were nice chance additions when received in change the other day while vacationing in Mexico. If you know me you know I like notes with 6's and 5's. :)

upload_2015-4-5_14-13-19.png

Paddy54 likes this.
  16. MitchBailey

I thought about it. The $50's and the $20 would grade AU. Not sure if I want to spend the money to have them graded. Unless I can get a bulk discount from PMG or PCGS, I do have some other notes to submit. All with some faint handling or a miniscule fold.

17. MEC2

MEC2 Enormous Member

Today's new pickup is this circulated $10 from the Union Bank in the monetarily busy mecca of Augusta, Georgia. Solid caramel paper color common to circulated obsoletes, love that rich color they can get, mixture of paper, sweat, wood oil, tobacco, linament oil, leather tannin, dirt, whiskey, and both honest and dishonest use... and that red ten overprint protector really pops on this note.

[​IMG]

hotwheelsearl and Effigy303 like this.
  18. Mat

Mat Ancient Coincoholic

Real beauty. Darn budget being gone for the next 2 months :(

19. saltysam-1

saltysam-1 Junior Member

MEC2;
    That bank must of changed their name 9-10 years later, or it lost popularity because of it. :>)

20. jensenbay

jensenbay Well-Known Member

Question for MEC2. Do you purchase everyday or are you showing us your collection you already own? Just curious. Great notes BTW.

21. MEC2

MEC2 Enormous Member

Jensen - these are the notes I acquired over the last year but got backed up in the scan stack - if you go back several pages you will find it, literally piles of new pickups I got behind scanning. Finally got time to scan and upload so I am unwinding the backlog... posting one note a day, I don't get as many notes as I used to - though this week I did get more than one per day - so at some point I will have caught up and the rate of posting will slow... way... down...

Sam - yeah, I reckon that got less popular round those there parts...

And since it is technically a new day, why not get today's new pickup out ASAP? Another $10 obsolete, this fancy print is from Virginia, the Exchange Bank. A couple similar variations of this denomination and others, some with printed backs, some without, this is just a fancy front. Alot of green and some good design elements and it leads one to ask... what the heck is a moiety? Enjoy looking that up...

[​IMG]

Effigy303 and rooman9 like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted