Paper Money: New Acquisitions

Discussion in 'Paper Money' started by Dr Kegg, Dec 16, 2010.

1. Dave L

Dave L Junior Member

How about a nice, early note. No great vignette, but I like it anyway.

[​IMG]

gsalexan, MEC2 and rooman9 like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. MEC2

MEC2 Enormous Member

Well, it's about time my lazy butt started posting new pickups again, or I will never catch up... which is still possible...

Today's new get is a neat obsolete from the Erie and Kalamazoo Rail Road Bank (epic name for a bank by the way). Colored overprint protector and an active design - only thing better would be an actual railroad train on it, but that might be a little too on-the-noise for the notes designer...

[​IMG]

jj00, Effigy303 and rooman9 like this.
  4. MEC2

MEC2 Enormous Member

Today's new pickup is another country heard from - this time Scotland. This sharp note is in great condition and really pops, love the reverse design with the coat of arms and the griffon and lion. One of the reasons I collected Scotland to begin with is the coat of arms on this note and the series around them. Although I don't get their obsession with putting bridges on notes...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

USS656 likes this.
  5. MEC2

MEC2 Enormous Member

Today's new get is a neat obsolete, really like this one, Bank of the Republic $5 note. Really love the large, well engraved center vignette. Add the large engravings on the endcaps, and throw in a colored overprint protector for good measure, and it's all good on a fairly common but really solid obsolete note design... but would we expect anything less from the fine folks at ABNCo?

[​IMG]

rooman9 and jj00 like this.
  6. rooman9

rooman9 Lovin Shiny Things

1944 Italy. The man on the left almost looks like he's giving a thumbs up.
    s-l1600-1.jpg s-l1600.jpg

hotwheelsearl, midas1 and MEC2 like this.
  7. MEC2

MEC2 Enormous Member

Today's new get is a fantastic design obsolete remainder - love this Stonington Bank note, great vignette and unusual sideways engraving on the left, very light, delicate paper, overall one of the better obsolete designs.

[​IMG]

8. MEC2

MEC2 Enormous Member

Time for another new obsolete pick up? Why I think it is... another great $5 here, tons of great engraving and the integration of the red overprint is fantastic on this Central Bank $5. Some real artwork in these old obsoletes as the last few notes can surely tell...

[​IMG]

9. Dave L

Dave L Junior Member

I went and picked up one of these bad guys. Interesting thematic issue to say the least.

[​IMG]

10. MEC2

MEC2 Enormous Member

Another day, another pickup, another obsolete... and another great colorful design. This Lawrenceburg Bank $10 has a neat central vignette, looks like an allegorical figure but with a feathered headress perhaps just an Indian princess, the colored denomination ends pop and it's just another nice obsolete design from the skilled artisans at ABNCo...

[​IMG]

hotwheelsearl, Dave L and Effigy303 like this.
  11. Mat

Mat Ancient Coincoholic

Love it, shame it seems to go for alot :(

12. MEC2

MEC2 Enormous Member

Today's new pickup is yet another obsolete, this one a well engraved single from the Bank of Augusta. A pretty well represented bank with alot of solid designs, this note has alot going for it, strong sigs with that iron gall common on signatures of the day.

[​IMG]

hotwheelsearl and Effigy303 like this.
  13. saltysam-1

saltysam-1 Junior Member

I can't remember seeing a note with the sideways engraving on the end. Now I'll have to start searching for one. Very unique. Was this an accidental find or was it a feature you went looking for?

14. MEC2

MEC2 Enormous Member

Hey Sam - just turned out that way, I saw that design, went looking, got one at a good price. Just another neat feature on one of the best obsolete designs out there.

Today's new pickup is - you guessed it - another obsolete (I warned that I got into these pretty heavy, sort of like picking up a new drug habit). This well traveled Tennessee single has alot of neat design elements - good center vignette, a state seal, lovely denomination script at the top right, and a bold counter at the right bottom, as well as a color overprint. And it's from Murfreesboro, a name not so common to encounter out there...

[​IMG]

15. rooman9

rooman9 Lovin Shiny Things

Greece 1944. Another World War 2 bill.
    $_57-1.JPG $_57.JPG

16. justbored

justbored Active Member

Only posting this because it was acquired as a $37.71 Buy It Now.....
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 26, 2015
  17. Ethan

Ethan Collector of Kennedy's

18. MEC2

MEC2 Enormous Member

$3 obsolete for $38? You suck!! Great note...

Well, one $3 obsolete deserves another, and as luck would have it, my next new pickup is... an obsolete $3, from the Exchange Bank, again in Murfreesboro, TN. Always a fan of more unusual denominations, and I really love going after $3 notes, so I am needless to say very happy with this one. Note the same vignette on the $1 is here on this $3 note, just shifted to the left for a more unique layout than typical.

[​IMG]

Effigy303 likes this.
  19. MEC2

MEC2 Enormous Member

Today's new get is another hit in the obsolete parade, this $1 remainder from The Sussex Bank in great condition. Sharp engraving and big elements combined with a bold overprint make it a nice looking note. As with many obsoletes, the thin paper of the time can look very translucent when the scan lamp hits it, so I scanned it with a white background (instead of dead space) so the note matches it's in-hand appearance. Which is nice...

[​IMG]

gsalexan and Dave L like this.
  20. Mat

Mat Ancient Coincoholic

Great additions, MEC.

21. Paddy54

Paddy54 Well-Known Member

1897 10 centavos Cuban note I love the art work on these small notes . The size is around 1.5"x 3" 20150329_075310.jpg 20150329_075323.jpg
    Next an 1896 1 Pesos note 20150329_075400.jpg 20150329_075411.jpg

Draft saved Draft deleted