Paper Money: New Acquisitions

Discussion in 'Paper Money' started by Dr Kegg, Dec 16, 2010.

1. MEC2

MEC2 Enormous Member

Oooh, Daddy like that $3, great engraving! Nice condition too!

Today's new pickup is an obsolete from Maine, the Sanford Bank, a sketchy institution that nonetheless had some great currency designs. This is the $5, which has the green protector overprint versus the red - seems green is a bit more common but that could be anecdotal. On the prowl for other denominations from this bank, great designs (especially the $10). This one depicts the making of an Old Spice commercial with lumberjacks and stuff...

[​IMG]

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. gsalexan

gsalexan Intaglio aficionado

Normally, I'd add this to my thread on checks, but then I decided to share it here. The vignette is just a litho copy of better known engraving, but I was most impressed by it's dollar amount - half a million bucks in 1882. I think that conservatively equates to nearly $12 million in today's dollars. Mark Skinner, who wrote the check, was a Chicago politico and later philanthropist. He also served on the board of two railroads during his career. Not sure if this check was for a large order of steel, but it could certainly have been RR rails or maybe girders for a Chicago skyscraper.

$500K check.jpg

Urban_Lawyer likes this.
  4. MEC2

MEC2 Enormous Member

That's a load of bread back then...

Today's new get is a colorful remainder done by those excellent folks at NBNCo, who of course eventually mind-melded with ABNCo... this $1 New Brunswick note has great engraving quality, colored overprint, a printed rear, flashy red serial...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. USS656

USS656 Here to Learn Supporter

Very nice, love the reverse!

6. gsalexan

gsalexan Intaglio aficionado

+1 Cool backside!

7. MEC2

MEC2 Enormous Member

Well it's a good time to throw something new in the mix, here's an old Brazil note from 1909, five mil reis. Great engraving as always from the fine folks at ABNCo, colored back, and a rarer issue means I'm happy to have a chance to get one...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. rooman9

rooman9 Lovin Shiny Things

I just got this off Ebay and I'm pretty excited :) It's an old aussie banknote from World War 2, but it's super cool because it has a bunch of names and addresses on it. They're all american soldiers who were stationed in Australia. It's beat up but as a fan of Aussie and World War History I couldn't pass it up. Sellers Pics not mine.

Screen Shot 2015-02-08 at 1.16.46 PM copy.jpg Screen Shot 2015-02-08 at 1.16.55 PM copy.jpg Screen Shot 2015-02-08 at 1.17.05 PM copy.jpg

Urban_Lawyer likes this.
  9. Urban_Lawyer

Urban_Lawyer Half dollar nerd

Cool note, Rooman!

rooman9 likes this.
  10. midas1

midas1 Exalted Member

"It's an old aussie banknote from World War 2"

Nice note.

Some years ago, I bought a roll of European notes glued end to end. Each note was signed and dated by US soldiers.
    Apparently, this was a not uncommon practice during WWII. They would sign a note from each country they went to.

rooman9 likes this.
  11. MEC2

MEC2 Enormous Member

Those notes are commonly called short snorters, very common in WW2 to find the Hawaii and North Africa notes used, taped with other local currencies into a rolled up bankroll...

Today's new pickup is my first from Paraguay, just really like the design on this five pesos note, front and back, nice engraving by the good people at Waterlow and Sons... not sure how much I will collect Paraguay, but I like having this one...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

12. Mat

Mat Ancient Coincoholic

I dabble into currency & stamps when I hit a dry spell with ancients. Well I saw this on another site and loved the female design on the back, so I picked one up.

Have another one from spain on the way too.

[​IMG]

midas1, MEC2, randygeki and 1 other person like this.
  13. MEC2

MEC2 Enormous Member

I undoubtedly will be getting into Spain at some point, as I love their colorful designs and neat engravings, and that note is a nicer if more recent note, and affordable... in fact, I was thinking about getting that very note just yesterday, and now I did - just pulled the trigger, my first Spain, thanks for pushing me over the edge. You get a like just for that...

Today's new pickup is an obsolete from 1833, so kind of a mid-mark of obsolete issues, not too early, not too late. Alot of engraving on this, I imagine they thought the more engraving, the harder it would be to counterfeit. Frankly, I think it makes it easier - and they didn't understand how it's the faces that give the counterfeits away, not the tedious engraving elements.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 11, 2015
    Effigy303 and Dave L like this.
  14. Mat

Mat Ancient Coincoholic

Nice note, I love the early stuff as I find the engravings much more attractive then most 20th century stuff.

When I do flip to currency every so often, I tend to go towards spain, mexico, & some of the colorful notes from various islands.

15. MEC2

MEC2 Enormous Member

Yeah Spain is going to be a big player for me, great engravings, colors, historical and cultural context... I see alot of money being spent.

Speaking of money, here we go with another new pickup, this on a single from Michigan, this $1 has a rampant eagle so you know I have to make a play for it. Eagles, trains, ships, it's actually pretty easy to bait my interest... a name like Government Stock Bank is one of those sounds a bit too good to be true banks, and sure enough...

[​IMG]

Effigy303 and midas1 like this.
  16. Mat

Mat Ancient Coincoholic

Lovely note with a great eagle.

My next spain I mentioned arrived yesterday.

[​IMG]

Urban_Lawyer likes this.
  17. MEC2

MEC2 Enormous Member

Well boys, just a few more days before my next vacation, so only a couple more new pickups to show before I go back on hiatus. Today's new pickup is a great obsolete, just love the design elements here, this $5 obsolete from North Carolina has great engraving designs, the center vignette is classic but man look at that giant V, she's riding it like Sea Biscuit with her scroll and fasces. Great note! The red overprint protector for a pop of color is just a nice bonus...

[​IMG]

Paddy54, geekpryde, kookoox10 and 3 others like this.
  18. Mat

Mat Ancient Coincoholic

Thats a great note. Love the ladies on it in general ;)

19. Dave L

Dave L Junior Member

Nice looking fiver there, MEC2 -
    Looks like she might be saying 'High Five!'

20. Dave L

Dave L Junior Member

For years I've been looking for this note, just because it has Santa on it. (Yeah, I know they don't call him Santa in Austria) But it took me until just recently to actually find one for sale.

[​IMG]

Urban_Lawyer and rooman9 like this.
  21. Dave M

Dave M Francophiliac

Great batch of new notes, guys, thanks for posting them!

Draft saved Draft deleted