Paper Money: New Acquisitions

Discussion in 'Paper Money' started by Dr Kegg, Dec 16, 2010.

1. MEC2

MEC2 Enormous Member

Believe it or not... I got more stars in. But I am going to give you a little longer break on those. Here is a new Egypt pickup during colonial British rule - I've been outbid several times on XF/AU of this note, so decided to get this note for a super price to tide me over until my other ship comes in. Really love the color on the reverse, and the engraving of the Nile on the front really captures a sense of Egypt.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. tigertrader

tigertrader Active Member

Here is another Costa rica note I picked up. This time it is a 1967 2 Colones in decent shape. I like the look of this note. Although they are available, they are not particularly common and I got this one for a good price.

CostaRica1967F2Colonesa_zps018a8cbc.jpg

CostaRica1967F2Colonesb_zps71035c6a.jpg

4. MEC2

MEC2 Enormous Member

TT - That's one of the notes on my CR get list, I have a custom eBay search page set up just to peruse these notes, like you said it's modern but still an appealing design. Hope to have some new CR's to show myself soon.

Today's new pickup is a 1947 Greek 1000 Drachma note. One of the more uncommon notes, it has a very similiar but larger and even rarer cousin from 1944 that I am on the lookout for. Another Greek maiden on the front, and apparently a Greek soldier with a rifle wearing a skirt on the back, reinforcing the Greek army motto "never leave your Buddy's behind".

I had a great line on an UNC 1944 but my bidding program failed on me FOUR DIFFERENT TIMES in one of my more maddening eBay experiences in four different auctions for two batches of them. You can tell I am still bitter...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. MEC2

MEC2 Enormous Member

This next Greek note is one of their nicer, common, affordable designs, and it is HUGE - notably larger than a large US note. Great design by ABNC, Athena on the front, Griffon I believe on the reverse... not sure why this issue is so available compared to others, but it's one of those notes that you can get super affordably if you want a small Greek collection that still has great design and a sense of their currency design. I got this in a small note lot and it is the slightest of upgrades - took me 10 minutes to decide which one to keep, my current or this new one. Love the vivid reverse on this issue, just a great note design.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. g1rge

g1rge Member

My Latest Teller Finds

I got these yesterday, teller told me someone brought them in earlier in the day.

1934 $5 FRN 1.jpg
    1934 $5 SC 1.jpg
    1934A $5 SC 1.jpg
    1957A $1 1.jpg
    1957B $1 1.jpg

7. archertiger3

archertiger3 Member

just got a 2006 series star note for a strap of $1 bills
    it's a run of 640,000

8. kookoox10

kookoox10 ANA #3168546

Nice high serial number on the second $5 silver cert!

9. g1rge

g1rge Member

It's my highest so far.

10. MEC2

MEC2 Enormous Member

G1rge - I like that 1934 $5 even if it rough, and who can argue with face?

Gonna switch gears a bit with this last pickup, I've decided to watch for low cost colonials for a while, something I might call rescue notes - notes that are low cost and need a new home. I love colonials, the concept of 250 year old currency is pretty awesome. Here's a 1770 $8 from Maryland that has rich paper tone and bold contrast on the print, and you can see where someone ate a piece of it...

[​IMG]

11. MEC2

MEC2 Enormous Member

Pretty anticlimactic with that "great grandad left me a fortune in kick-ass currency" thread going, but... today's new pickup represents another gear shift. Yep, a new country is heard from and that country is... Scotland. This is the first of a few new pickups from there, an affordable but bright and crisp note, hope to have several more in the future as I try to get a sense for pricing and rarity on these notes, really like alot of the rich designs... this one is modern and traditional sized unlike many older ones which are squarer in nature. Still, bright color and popping design means a welcome addition to my collection...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

12. silentnviolent

silentnviolent accumulator--selling--make an offer I can't refuse

Occupational currency?

Attached Files:

• 011.jpg
      011.jpg
      File size:
      92.3 KB
      Views:
    • 012.jpg
      012.jpg
      File size:
      108.9 KB
      Views:
    • 013.jpg
      013.jpg
      File size:
      88 KB
      Views:
    • 014.JPG
      014.JPG
      File size:
      185.4 KB
      Views:
  13. silentnviolent

The rest of the set.

Attached Files:

• 015.JPG
      015.JPG
      File size:
      245.2 KB
      Views:
    • 016.JPG
      016.JPG
      File size:
      226.3 KB
      Views:
    • 017.JPG
      017.JPG
      File size:
      227.4 KB
      Views:
    • 018.JPG
      018.JPG
      File size:
      214 KB
      Views:
  14. silentnviolent

The serial screamed at me when I got this crisp UNC $5 fresh from a newly opened strap for change at the hotel. I like the bookends. :)

Attached Files:

• 023.JPG
      023.JPG
      File size:
      196.5 KB
      Views:
    • 024.JPG
      024.JPG
      File size:
      169.3 KB
      Views:
  15. SteveInTampa

SteveInTampa Always Learning

I don't understand your excitement. The serial number looks kinda random to me. Bookends ? Please help me understand what bookends have to do with your note. Maybe the 426 ? Maybe in ebayworld or some other distant galaxy.

16. silentnviolent

Yep. I asked them to check for 42677426 but they wouldn't do it :( even though I offered a tip. Maybe after a few months I'll come back to it and wonder why I kept it, and end up spending it. That happens. :) For now though, I like it.

17. chrisild

chrisild Coin Collector

This is an article in English (let's not discuss GATA here though ;) ) about the Reichskreditkassen issues:

http://www.gata.org/node/10457

Christian

18. clayirving

clayirving Supporter**

Higher quality IC block arrived today.

[​IMG]

19. MEC2

MEC2 Enormous Member

The stars keep coming as I keep chugging toward getting them all, at least in the 1934 series, and I feel like I've seen more stars than Carl Sagan at this point, billions and billions...

Anyways, here's a 1934-C Kansas City star, T&P only has one other one listed currently, there are undoubtedly more but they seemingly don't pop up too often, so like women in a combat zone, you sorta take any you can get.

[​IMG]

20. tigertrader

tigertrader Active Member

I was out traveling this week and wasn't able to check online much but was amazed when I saw that thread and doubt anyone will top that story for a while...

It certainly wont be this post but I wanted to show my first foreign fancy serial number note. It is a 2006 Cayman Islands $1 note series C6 Serial number 000066. The Cayman islands sell sell low numbered notes directly to collectors so this isn't a rare or expensive note but I liked series C6 matched to the serial 66. From my limited research I do also know that any A-C series notes are being pulled from circulation by the Cayman Islands Monetary Authority so maybe that will help the value in the future...

CaymanIslands20061C6Series000066seriala_zpsa95ba2d1.jpg

CaymanIslands20061C6Series000066serialb_zps36761647.jpg

21. Jackcampbell

Jackcampbell New Member

Nicola Tesla Banknote

Amazing 5,000,000 Nicola Tesla Banknote
    IMG_2795.jpg
    IMG_0272.jpg

Draft saved Draft deleted