Paper Money: New Acquisitions

Discussion in 'Paper Money' started by Dr Kegg, Dec 16, 2010.

1. g1rge

g1rge Member

Got this recently from one of my favorite tellers, a bit rough around the edges but my first $100 Red Seal

1966A $100 1.jpg 1966A $100 2.jpg

Edit: The shifting of the print on 100 and the extra lines under the upper serial # are not on the bill. Must have shifted in the scanner.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. MEC2

MEC2 Enormous Member

Nice pickup g1rge, face from a teller? Can't beat that for a red seal. And that Chief is CRAZY nice, better sig combination too.

I knew this weekend should be good for new pickups and the mailman didn't disappoint, my mailbox has more stars in it than the Big Dipper! Let's start with this solid get, a 1934-C $10 from Philly, this puts me over halfway to finishing all 12 districts for 1934-C $10 stars. Some tougher gets still to go, but some easy ones too. This nice VF is right in my wheelhouse - nice but cheap. Or cheap but nice. Whichever, I'm a bottom feeder and proud of it...

[​IMG]

4. funkee

funkee Tender, Legal

Do you mind if I ask how much you paid? I am in the market for one right now.

5. MEC2

MEC2 Enormous Member

Time for more stars, this is a perplexing one, as the serial falls into the gap between the documented LGS and DGS series. It's well circulated which I find tends to darken the LGS seals, but when I scan and blow it up, it looks LGS to me. Very close call, I uploaded this in larger than normal size so if anyone wants to click on the picture and make a call, feel free to do so. I'm happy either way if it's a FR 2004 or 2005, just not sure how best to classify it. Got it at an excellent price so hey, win win baby...

[​IMG]

6. bonniview

bonniview Active Member

Looks 100% lime to me without question...nice addition.

7. MEC2

MEC2 Enormous Member

A new day and a new dollar... or ten as it were, this strong XF 1934-A New York star has the slightest handling keeping it from AU, still a great note in hand. This is an upgrade from a fine of the same note, a serious quality jump at a price I had to say yes to. Stars stars stars...

[​IMG]

8. funkee

funkee Tender, Legal

The color looks to have a blue-green tinge. I would almost call it a light blue-green seal. I've seen a variety of shades from the 1928x/1934x series. This is probably some transitional shade.

9. SteveInTampa

SteveInTampa Always Learning

A note from the same batch as John's (tigertrader).....it's a birthyear note from a group of 2009 JH-B $20's with exceptional centering and nice wide margins.

[​IMG]

Next is a note very similar to Clay's $1 FRN double courtesy autograph note. Mine also came in a commemorative sleeve and was autographed by both the Treasurer and the Secretary of the Treasury.

[​IMG]

10. tigertrader

tigertrader Active Member

It certainly has a lime tint (could have faded into it a bit) but I would be conservative with you Funkee and say it is a transitional color.

Steve: I just sent my 2009 $20 JHB off to the graders and will let you know when it returns... It got here just as I was about to go crazy taping up my package submission...

11. MEC2

MEC2 Enormous Member

Let's take a break from stars - more to come to be sure - and go to some overseas pickups. This note is positively enormous - almost a full inch wider and taller than US large size notes. By far the biggest note I have (well, not THAT far considering the huge Greek 5k note is almost as big). It's the pre-war Greek 1000 Drachma from 1935. These notes were of French origin and were on very delicate paper, and hence didn't stand up very well over time (insert French Army joke here). I can't imagine using this currency, both huge and yet delicate...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

hotwheelsearl likes this.
  12. wishingman42

wishingman42 Member

Here Is My Latest two notes. Nothing special, But i like them!:smile

Attached Files:

13. MEC2

MEC2 Enormous Member

Okay, let's stay with Greece but go the other direction, from the largest note I own to the smallest - this is a 50 Lepta Greek Fractional note from 1920. This is an upgrade for me, I had a decent F but this came in slabbed and graded CU at a price not hugely different than the old note, so those are the kind of upgrades I like. Note the ragged top and bottom edges, I believe these notes might have been available in strips and then hand torn. Don't have a really good resource to back that up but it is my suspicion... oh and I love the blue, blue ink is what originally got me buying Confederate notes - and I ended up with over 40 varieties. Haven't gotten a new Confederate in a LONG time, only one new variety in the last year. That's why I never post any... sad face! I am on the lookout though...

Will change things up tomorrow with a new obsolete pickup...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

14. saltysam-1

saltysam-1 Junior Member

P1010316.jpg P1010331.jpg For some reason, this was a tough find; almost two years. Everybody wanted more than book value for this note. Even the major shows produced almost nothing in an exceptable grade. Although not the desired grade of my choice, (This I feel is a XF40?) it was close to what I wanted to spend. So if I every find an AU or BU at close to book value, I'll still consider it as an upgrade.

15. MEC2

MEC2 Enormous Member

Nice note Sam, most of that note is XF, but that top edge has what looks like wallet damage (the top of the note sticks out of the wallet and gets a load of wear) that I think probably puts it in VF (but you could get an XF apparent...) good face up though!

So here is today's new pickup, it's a Bank of the United States draft, not much info on these, I believe these are almost all contemporary counterfeits but it is unknown to me. I like collecting Bank of the United States stuff, doesn't come around too often and is pricey when it does, even these there are only a few I found on Heritage and they still went for quite a bit, so I fired off a bargain bid on this and won it... I don't have too many obsoletes, and being a BotUS note it's a bonus... nice early date, 1832... during the time of the Second Bank of the United States.

[​IMG]

16. funkee

funkee Tender, Legal

I went on a spending spree. Here are two of the newest additions.

1934 $1 Silver Certificate. Considering the alignment and a small corner bend, I think it would grade ~60. Otherwise uncirculated.

1934_$1_Front.jpg

1934_$1_Back.jpg

1914 $5 Federal Reserve Note - Richmond. It has two small edge tears, of about 1/16" on the top and the right side. Plus a counting crinkle near the left of the face. I think this would grade a 62/Net.

1914_$5_Front.jpg

1914_$5_Back.jpg

I got a great deal on both. I paid approximately half book value for each.

There are two more notes that are traversing the country on their way to me. One of those notes took a fat chunk out of my bank account.

To Be Continued...

17. MEC2

MEC2 Enormous Member

Boy I got some good news in the mailbox today, two positively great pickups. Will start with this one, a tougher to get error, the inverted third printing... this gives me all of the usual error types that I can readily imagine, other than say the double denomination (truly near impossible get). I'd been underbidding close and not so close for a long time now, and squeaked out a win at a decent price and am thrilled to have it...

[​IMG]

18. funkee

funkee Tender, Legal

1928 $20 Cleveland District - Choice Uncirculated

1928_20_front.jpg

1928_20_back.jpg

19. funkee

funkee Tender, Legal

1899 $5 Silver Certificate.

20130302_234553.jpg
    20130302_233911.jpg

Unfortunately, this is a temporary acquisition. I purchased it because the seller insisted it was uncirculated on more than one conversation. However, they wouldn't send me any high-res photos to really examine it closely. Now that I've received it, I can see nearly a dozen folds, all of which were pressed out. I overpaid dramatically. It still looks gorgeous from afar and it pains me to have to send it back.

EDIT: There appears to be what looks like an end of roll error. I didn't think it could happen on large size notes, but I'm not familiar with how large size notes were printed. I started a new thread for it: http://www.cointalk.com/t223742/

20. bonniview

bonniview Active Member

Funkee have you checked TreasuredStock (Jeff Smith) grated uncirculated Chiefs?

21. MEC2

MEC2 Enormous Member

Those are some knockout notes Funkee, I am a Boston away from completing my 1928 $20 District set, so I am all about those first run small size $20's, nice crisp example, and that Chief is outstanding (even if you end up sending it back).

Here's my other Friday pickup, it's a 1910 Greek 100 Drachma note - great big, as wide and yet a bit taller than a large US size note, the early Greek large notes had some great designs, and a large number were done by ABNC. This is an ABNC note, and it doesn't come up on manureBay very often, so I went for it - paid a decent amount but you have to for these rarer earlier Greek notes.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Draft saved Draft deleted