Paper Money: Guess the Grade

Discussion in 'Paper Money' started by krispy, Feb 1, 2011.

1. clayirving

clayirving Supporter**

[​IMG]

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. clayirving

clayirving Supporter**

[​IMG]

4. WingedLiberty

WingedLiberty Well-Known Member

i am guessing 20 (but 25 wouldnt surprise me)

5. krispy

krispy krispy

Surprised myself looking at these, by how much I over-graded these notes. Just proves the level of difficulty grading from pics : in hand. Thanks for following up on this thread Clay. It didn't really take that long to get the notes back, but I'm sure it felt like an eternity for you since they are yours.

6. clayirving

clayirving Supporter**

[​IMG]

7. WingedLiberty

I think I win the prize for the nicest PMG VF25 ever ...

1896EducationDollarBig.jpg
    1896EducationDollarBackBig.jpg

PMG2.jpg

8. mpcusa

mpcusa "Official C.T. TROLL SWEEPER"

9. Dr Kegg

Dr Kegg Star Note Fanatic

+1

That should have graded much higher!

10. zekeguzz

zekeguzz lmc freak

What is holding that 1966 $100 bill frrom being a 64 or 65?? I just don't see anything wrong. The margins are really nice, color good, eye appeal great. WHAT?? No wrinkles, folds spots smudges, pin holes???

11. WingedLiberty

Yes, I bought that $1 Education note raw off ebay (never doing that again!).
    Certainly a very valuable lesson on what not to do.

It was listed as a Crisp Unc 63 grade and I bought it in an auction for $1,125 ... ouch.

I studied a lot of books and references on how to grade notes and even in hand
    I thought it was definately UNC as I could see no fold lines at all.
    (I never knew about the trick of always examining notes using special lighting, UV i think)

In any case, I didnt get it graded by PMG until the eBay Guarantee Policy expired (my bad).
    Imagine my shock when my nice UNC note came back as a VF25.

In VF25 condition, it's worth about $400 I think???
    So it was a $725 smackdown. :eek:

In hindsight, I was lucky it wasnt counterfeit -- so at least it's worth $400.
    In any case, it was "Educational" for me (no pun intended!)

12. mpcusa

mpcusa "Official C.T. TROLL SWEEPER"

You will find that most people that sell on e-bay know little to nothing about what there
    Selling, so to take the sellers word that this is a 63 and then it comes back a 25 let,s
    Just say lesson learned :)

13. WingedLiberty

yes, luckily i made big gains bullion this year to make up for this bit of stupidity. certainly i've gotten a lot more cautious in the past few years. today my biggest worry is chinese counterfeiting, so I have toned down my buying quite a bit. i am fully expecting the chinese to start making fake currency notes in fake PMG holders -- so the whole hobby is more risky now (in my opinion).

14. Dr Kegg

Dr Kegg Star Note Fanatic

If I'm going for a big time note like that from ebay, it HAS to be graded. Sorry about your luck.

Draft saved Draft deleted