Paper Money: Guess the Grade

Discussion in 'Paper Money' started by krispy, Feb 1, 2011.

1. clayirving

clayirving Supporter**

I can't wait to get the notes back to post the "after" pictures and compare the grading results. Everyone is going to have to wait with me to get the notes back.

When I get them back, I'll scan them in a higher DPI to examine the imperfections.

Here's another:

[​IMG]

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. krispy

krispy krispy

I added my grade guess for the $1 1935A Silver Cert to the previous post, #100. :smile

4. mpcusa

mpcusa "Official C.T. TROLL SWEEPER"

Clay if may ask what service level did you use for your submissions? About the only thing i hate
    About PCGS is the time it takes for them to grade notes i have a couple of economy
    Submissions that have been there since Dec 14 and i still havent got the back yet! These
    Our notes that i plan on keeping so i guess i will wait it out!

5. clayirving

clayirving Supporter**

I used the "slow boat to China" service level. I joined the PCGS Collectors Club as a Platinum Member. This entitles me to send 15 notes to be graded at no charge (other than the return shipping). I suspect these notes will be lower priority than anything else.

Nearly two months is a really long time! I was thinking the grading would probably take a month. It took a week for the USPS registered package to get there from Southern California.

6. krispy

krispy krispy

Does the return time of higher grade notes of smaller populations take longer because more of the graders must review and decide up on the grade and how adding it to their populations affects other known graded notes by them and their competition. I am wondering if it takes more research by the TPG before they assign a grade and if it impacts the market they effectively create when accepting new high grade notes amongst their population. I have experienced a case where PMG was more than obliging to take a high grade note from PCGS plastic to get their label on the note and have it in their population, so perhaps there is a competitive aspect between the TPGs when they have the chance to add new notes to their pops. Any thoughts on if these are valid lines of speculation?

7. mpcusa

Your right on there! When i joined a few years ago and got the free submissions it took
    4 Months! to get them back which i think is a bit unreasonable but after all it,s free!

8. mpcusa

There absolutely is competition there! it,s all about money! finding different was to attract people
    To use there service over the other like saying look at all these rare notes we have graded
    Use us were better! As far as grading times i have never sent anything to PMG so i,am not sure
    How long it takes them but for PCGS it,s like watching the grass grow!!

9. krispy

krispy krispy

Hopefully they are using that time well to grade with absolute certainty and as well to confirm amongst their grading staff the same certainty. I hope its service they are providing researching your note and not just a back log of orders, placing free submissions on the back burner and so on.

10. SteveInTampa

SteveInTampa Always Learning

The subject of return times came up at a different forum awhile back, and included in the discussion was whether or not the TPG knew which dealer/collector was submitting the notes, and if that had any affect on time line or grade. It was conveyed, that the graders have no idea who submitted what, and notes submitted for crossover from another TPG were removed from their original holders before they got to the graders. I personally do not pay dues and/or belong to any TPG, but have been told that return times have alot to do with which TPG has the most notes to grade....with PCGS being the busiest, at least for now. I'm not sure whether there is any competitive aspect between any of the TPG's....but PMG getting the BeBee Collection to grade had to be a HUGE feather in their cap.

11. krispy

krispy krispy

I suppose a combination of factors must be at play, back logged orders to grade, bulk submissions to handle consistently, a pace that doesn't burn out the graders, competition with other TPGs, researching rare and high grade notes... It must be a difficult moment to grade the first submission of a given series (especially older notes) or very small population notes as it starts a frame of reference for maintaining the grading scale and how to measure all other notes from a given series thereafter. Life is like that, complex combinations of factors unique to the circumstance at a given time, not something simply answered and bowing to our excitement and anticipation. Just have to sit tight when we let items go out for submission. 2-4 months is certainly a tough wait, but it was also tough to go without certain Mint products like the collector version Eagles coins canceled in 2009 after regular availability for some 23 years annually. The wait from 2008 issued Eagle coins to the return of 2010 Eagles was a long one.

12. clayirving

clayirving Supporter**

Time for another note? This is another one that I sent to PCGS Currency.

[​IMG]

13. USS656

USS656 Here to Learn Supporter

The scans on this note are a bit tricky. I seems as if some things could be going on both top and bottom borders. I would have liked to seen photographs of this in high resolution to have a better feel. As such, I am going to hold off grading this one.

14. clayirving

clayirving Supporter**

I agree that the scan isn't very good. Let's try this one.

[​IMG]

I think XF 40.

15. krispy

krispy krispy

krispy's guesses for clayirving's notes submitted to PCGS - Updated

UPDATED WITH NEW NOTES below: My collected guesses for clayirving's notes posted in this thread. Below are the post numbers where the notes are pictured, followed by the Series of note and my guess that they will come back from PCGS:

Note in post #36
    • Series of 1928 $500 FRN. (I00004310A): PCGS Choice About New 55 (maybe a 58).

Note in post #68
    • Series 1928 $1 Red Seal USN (A0004627A): PCGS New 61

Note in post #91
    • Series 1928 $20 Gold Certificate (A40748949A): PCGS Choice New 63

Note in post #93

• Series 1928 $10 Gold Certificate (A42035140A): PCGS About New 53

Note in post #98

• Series 1966A $100 Red Seal USN (A00778941A): PCGS Gem New 66

Note in post #101
    • Series 1935A $1 Silver Certificate (S74790653C): PCGS Suberb Gem New 67

+++

Note in post #111
    • Series 1935A $1 Silver Certificate Yellow Seal (C61227839C): PCGS Suberb Gem New 65

Note in post #113
    • Series 1928A $1000 FRN Light Green Seal (H00491609A): PCGS Suberb Very Fine 35

16. clayirving

clayirving Supporter**

The notes came back today.

[​IMG]

17. clayirving

clayirving Supporter**

Bingo!

18. clayirving

clayirving Supporter**

[​IMG]

19. krispy

krispy krispy

Clay, I have been wondering how your notes were coming along! This is like being a kid and waiting to tear into Christmas gifts. :smile

20. clayirving

clayirving Supporter**

This is a big surprise!

[​IMG]

21. clayirving

clayirving Supporter**

[​IMG]

Draft saved Draft deleted