Paper Money: Guess the Grade

Discussion in 'Paper Money' started by krispy, Feb 1, 2011.

1. mpcusa

mpcusa "Official C.T. TROLL SWEEPER"

Anybody else??

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. mpcusa

I really thought we would have more people on this one but,oh well! unfortunatley when i
    Cropped this picture i erased the holder image as well, i have sense sold this note
    Which i have already upgraded twice so..............

This Series 521 $10 is actually in a PMG holder and was graded VF25

4. Duke Kavanaugh

Duke Kavanaugh The Big Coin Hunter

Just saw this thread...I'll watch more closely now.

5. krispy

krispy krispy

Thanks Rusty. I hope we can get more folks interested in these PAPER MONEY GUESS THE GRADE threads too. Next time I get a graded note I will start a new thread. I think folks respond more to new threads. Feel free to do the same.

6. camlov2

camlov2 Member

looking forward to

"Guess the paper grade #87"

7. SteveInTampa

SteveInTampa Always Learning

Sorry I missed part 2 of this "guess the grade" Rusty....I haven't been paying attention, and would of loved to have given it a shot.

8. Duke Kavanaugh

lol that's great camlov2!!

9. Duke Kavanaugh

A guess the grade on paper will be tough in high grades so Rusty no 68ppq's, ok ;)

10. mpcusa

Not going to make any promises duke.....LOL :) I think it would be a good idea to post
    One note at a time in a guess the grade format so it wont get lost it a on going thread :)

11. Duke Kavanaugh

I agree. good idea. Kind of like that Toned Coin thread, it gives us time to discuss and learn.

12. clayirving

clayirving Supporter**

Ok, here is another note that I sent to PCGS.

[​IMG]

13. krispy

krispy krispy

Clay, that is a beautiful note.

I'm not sure that anything really stands out which holds it back from any particular grade over another, so I will say its going to be solid for it's grade. I assume the centering is really going to hold this back the most but the scanner seems to have cut off a bit along the left side of your image. The face bottom edge is the most off (can also see through the back side where the front plate runs to the edge). With that it's really got nice vivid ink/color. The only thing that I am curious about (and could be due to the scanned image, lighting, reflected high contrast light effects) is the sort of rough or less than white paper. Not that it was circulated or that the paper 'toned' with age, but I am unfamiliar with describing that surface look. The edges of the note also seem ever ever so 'wavy' yet mostly lays flat. Could this have ever been around a lot of moisture, but not wet? I don't know... just curious how flat the note lies on it's own (when not pressed under the scanner cover).

My guess: PCGS Choice New 63

14. clayirving

clayirving Supporter**

When I first started scanning notes, I wasn't very careful about cropping the edge of a note. As I gained experience, I realize the preparation of the image of the note needs to reflect, as much as possible, the actual note. The 1928 Gold Certificates tend to have very dark vignettes when scanned. Again, because of inexperience, I think I over-exposed the image of the note to bring out the detail of the vignette. For example, this is another Gold Certificate I sent to PCGS:

[​IMG]
    The paper is definitely over-exposed.

15. Duke Kavanaugh

I'll go with AU55 on that one. It is a nice note but from the picture it looks to have discolored on the edge alot. Plus they are real tough on notes.
    This is just hard in pictures.

16. krispy

krispy krispy

These are some of the key issues I was hoping to address in this thread. It's very important to know how to interpret image characteristics and how they affect a given note. The factors that effect image quality must be kept in mind for how they may effect our ability to grade a note from an image. Reading images is as important as knowing how to grade paper.

17. camlov2

camlov2 Member

I think I will give the $20 a 62. Really hard to tell about the true paper color.

18. SteveInTampa

SteveInTampa Always Learning

If I had this "in hand" and could examine it with my trusty LED flashlite, then I could give an educated guess. When dealing with higher end notes, it's important to either trust the TPG and buy it already slabbed, or have an auction representitive with experience to help you evaluate the condition. It would also help if the scans had a darker background. It's hard to get a sence of the margins.

19. clayirving

clayirving Supporter**

This is a more recent note (also sent to PCGS). I hope you can see how my scanning and image preparation has improved.

[​IMG]

20. USS656

USS656 Here to Learn Supporter

21. krispy

krispy krispy

krispy's guesses for clayirving's notes submitted to PCGS

Since Clay has given us so much to work with, I went back and collected all of my guesses for clayirving's notes posted so far in this thread. Below are the post numbers where the notes are pictured, followed by the Series of note and my guess that they will come back from PCGS:

Note in post #36
    • Series of 1928 $500 FRN. (I00004310A): PCGS Choice About New 55 (maybe a 58).

Note in post #68
    • Series 1928 $1 Red Seal USN (A0004627A): PCGS New 61

Note in post #91
    • Series 1928 $20 Gold Certificate (A40748949A): PCGS Choice New 63

Note in post #93

• Series 1928 $10 Gold Certificate (A42035140A): PCGS About New 53

Note in post #98

• Series 1966A $100 Red Seal USN (A00778941A): PCGS Gem New 66

Note in post #101
    • Series 1935A $1 Silver Certificate (S74790653C): PCGS Suberb Gem New 67

Draft saved Draft deleted