Panama and Rare - What's Not To Like? 1982FM Balboa 0.500

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by 7Jags, Jun 3, 2022.

1. 7Jags

7Jags Well-Known Member

Here is a very rare coin with a recorded mintage of 11. It is the (U) uncirculated 1982 FM Balboa with the mule reverse (has the "Ley 0.500") which is struck in copper nickel. Pictures hopefully in next post....Not letting me to post pictures now so will try later.

onecenter likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. 7Jags

7Jags Well-Known Member

I can't tell if some of the marks esp on obverse to right of Balboa might be smudging or scuffing versus reeding marks (from bag? How many in a bag if only 11 struck?) tempImagebDuRKo.png tempImage6DF9Ab.png

4. spirityoda

spirityoda Coin Junky

Wow. Can we see a photo of the whole NGC label ? How much did you pay for this coin ?

Last edited: Jun 4, 2022
    Cliff Reuter likes this.
  5. 7Jags

7Jags Well-Known Member

tempImageTvnKpz.png here ya go....

spirityoda and Cliff Reuter like this.
  6. Cliff Reuter

Cliff Reuter Well-Known Member

7. 7Jags

7Jags Well-Known Member

Well, not sure at all as the FM was so uniform in die production that I am unsure if anybody has attempted to figure out dies. I have the very unusual "pattern" 1983 1/4 Balboa proof with "Ley 0.500" reverse but this was never used on any other 1/4s.

What has me a bit chuffed is that I now have all of the FM One Balboa coins in proof and uncirculated in all types. Now if only I could say it was the 500 Balboa series! LOL!!

Cliff Reuter and -jeffB like this.
  8. spirityoda

spirityoda Coin Junky

In my 2016 World Coins catalog it shows this coin valued at/in MS-60-$1,250.00 and MS-63-$1,500.00 KM#39.4 mintage-11 wow. I am guessing the value of your coin has gone higher since then ? Where did you buy this coin ?

Cliff Reuter likes this.
  9. 7Jags

7Jags Well-Known Member

Oh, that was from an Heritage weekly auction

Here is the 1983 pattern:

tempImagepxOO11.png tempImagebCSh8d.png

10. 7Jags

7Jags Well-Known Member

Well, there is much not to like as there were some shenanigans in the striking of many Panamanian coins including the OMS silver and golds of 1953 and 1960s as well as the "alleged" 1947 150 Balboas and the "piefort" gold 1982 coins and trials seen in Krause and occasionally auctioned that were done evidently OUTSIDE the US Mint and some of the FM Panama coins possibly suspect; even the OP coin is not beyond reproach although the pattern above is probably a legit pattern from FM.

Draft saved Draft deleted