Palladium proof Eagle around the corner

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by Santinidollar, Aug 25, 2018.

1. Santinidollar

Santinidollar Supporter! Supporter

C-B-D likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

I already have too much of this type of mint product in my collection. I'm sure it will be really cool looking but I don't have to own one.

4. Ana Silverbell

Ana Silverbell Well-Known Member

I am sure the Mint will sell out the 15,000 it mints but I won't buy one. I do most of my collecting in the US pre-1965 coin era but if I see a new issue that is appealing, I may buy it. While the obverse is gorgeous, the design of the eagle on the reverse of the coin is disturbing. Why is the proud eagle, the symbol of this County, hanging its head?

According to the article the eagle is "defiant" and while "perched on a ledge" it "grasps an olive sapling with its right claw and plucks a branch from it with its beak." Most people will not understand this; they will simply see the eagle hanging its head.

In addition, coins are all about symbolism. The symbolism here does not work for me either. The olive branch is a symbol of peace. Why would the eagle "defiantly" pluck a branch from it? Is this coin symbolic of the idea of using force to bring peace?

The Mint missed it completely with this coin.

5. TheFinn

TheFinn Well-Known Member

The reverse design used was one that Weinman designed and used for a medal for an Architectural association. It was modified for the Half Dollar - probably because of the issue you raise. They wanted to re-use older designs, and decided to go to the source I guess, rather than use the design from the Half Dollar so that they appeared to be doing something "original".

6. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

I collect a lot of mint junk, but I won't be buying this junk..........where does it bloody end? @cpm9ball once did a study of what it would cost an individual to get all of the mint offerings in a given year, and I forget what the dollar amount was, but it was way more than I can afford. Superfluous stuff.........

Paul M. likes this.
  7. Clawcoins

Clawcoins Damaging Coins Daily

I skip the Palladium stuff. It's just way to expensive above spot.
    I wouldn't mind having one but much closer to spot. I figure in 10 years the premiums will drop a lot, but the question is what will spot be.

Robert91791 likes this.
  8. Spark1951

Spark1951 Accomplishment, not Activity

So the secret no one is talking about is the cost. Coin World doesn't list the price, but maybe that's because the Mint doesn't put a price tag on it either. IIRC, Palladium is 4 times rarer than gold, what...are they afraid to tell us?

So what is it gonna sell for?

Spark

9. Santinidollar

The advance flippers I’ve seen on eBay are asking for just under $2,000. Palladium traded at $943 an ounce today.

Robert91791 likes this.
  10. Speedbump

Speedbump Not a New Member

At today's palladium price, my guess is it'll be $1300-$1400. They don't list the palladium eagle on their 2018 numismatic pricing schedule, so I just use the platinum eagle as a guide.

11. Santinidollar

I’ll save that much buying ammo for other things.

12. Robert91791

Robert91791 Well-Known Member

Man that is surely a lot of money. I wonder how many Washington Quarters I can get for that. LOL

13. jwitten

jwitten Well-Known Member

These will be very hot. I've already had offers to buy for $150-$250 over issue price from dealers. I have 5 mint accounts set up, and am hoping to get 5.

14. Robert91791

You watch, if any of these coin is exposed to light moisture, it will tarnish quickly. Then they are going to blame the mint.

Last edited: Sep 3, 2018
  15. charlietig

charlietig Well-Known Member

What is the mint selling them at?

16. ddddd

ddddd Member

-jeffB likes this.
  17. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

Not likely, palladium is a platinum group metal and fairly inert. (Which is interesting considering the platinum group metals are also good catalysts for chemical reactions among other chemicals.)

Robert91791 likes this.
  18. Robert91791

I'm 100% sure it will. Give it some time. Palladium application is also used on car parts and we have tested catalytic converters that contain Palladium composition. It is also used in soldering materials.

19. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

Those are all alloys, though, right? In an alloy, the other components might tarnish, but I don't think pure palladium tarnishes under normal conditions (including moisture), and some quick Googling seems to support that it's highly tarnish-resistant.

20. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

Palladium can tarnish in a high temperature acid environment, so if you store you palladium coin with hydrochloric acid in the oven then yes they may tarnish.

21. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

Oh, fine, next you'll be telling me that I can't disinfect them with aqua regia. :rolleyes:

Draft saved Draft deleted