Pale green wax on a coin?

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by AncientJoe, Mar 6, 2018.

1. AncientJoe

AncientJoe Well-Known Member

I was wondering if anyone has encountered a pale green/gray wax on both sides of a coin before? My initial thought was museum mounting or some other display aid but that makes less sense when it appears on both sides.

Here it is on a recent purchase of mine, a cistophorus of Augustus with the wax on Augustus' eyebrow, ear, and a bit on the high points of the sphinx body.

I've wanted this type ever since I started collecting and I had a bid on this exact coin about four years ago but was ultimately outbid. It just came back up for auction and I bought it for half of what it sold for before, so I'm not complaining.

It has some obvious marks and imperfections but this type has notoriously poor preservation in general. Perhaps I'll be able to upgrade it at some point but I'm very happy for the time being.

SphinxCistophorus.jpg

Last edited: Mar 6, 2018
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Ancient Aussie

Ancient Aussie Well-Known Member

Fantastic coin, my guess you would be very lucky to find one any better than that, the detail on the sphinx wings is incredible.

panzerman likes this.
  4. Mike Margolis

Mike Margolis Well-Known Member

5. TIF

TIF Always learning.

Wowza! Congrats on nabbing this coin the second time around! It is in a fantastic state of preservation for the type! :)

As for his lovely eyeshadow, I wonder if it is a molding compound. Castaldo, a big name in jewelry mold making, has a low temperature silicone mold rubber that is approximately this color. Maybe the previous owner made a mold and intends to cast some jeweler's copies for posterity. Err, hopefully they would be jeweler's copies...

While it looks rather aqua in the image below, a thin layer on toned silver might look more minty. https://www.riogrande.com/product/c...-3-8-silicone-mold-rubber-strips-5-lbs/701005
    [​IMG]

6. ancient coin hunter

ancient coin hunter 3rd Century Usurper

7. John Anthony

John Anthony Ultracrepidarian

I'm also going to say molding compound. It's the sort of coin that would have been used to make electrotype copies that were once popular in museums.

ominus1 likes this.
  8. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

How does one use this material to make a mold of a coin? How many 18" strips weigh 5 pounds? It has been years since I played with making plaster and plastic casts of coins.

9. IdesOfMarch01

IdesOfMarch01 Well-Known Member

It appears as if it would be easy to remove. Have you tried?

10. panzerman

panzerman Well-Known Member

No, I have never...

But, that is a magnificent coin, great detail. Love the reverse:)
    John

11. TIF

TIF Always learning.

5 pounds is a lot of strips. You cut the strips into pieces matching the size of your mold. A coin would use the smallest mold and it would take ~one or slightly more than one of these strips to fill the mold. The coin is sandwiched in the middle, and the whole thing is put in a heated press to melt all the layers together. Some strips can be pressed together at room temperature (RTV; room temperature vulacanizing) or at very low temperatures.

There are many videos demonstrating this but a quick photographic overview can be seen here:
    http://www.jewelry-tutorials.com/making-rubber-mold-jewelry-casting.html

RAGNAROK likes this.
  12. RAGNAROK

RAGNAROK Naebody chaws me wi impunitY

:wideyed::snaphappy::snaphappy::snaphappy: ...upgradWhat??? ;)

Jay GT4 and TIF like this.
  13. 4to2centBC

4to2centBC Well-Known Member

I spent so much time looking at the coin that I didn't even pay attention to your post. Then when I read it, I thought, what wax? I was so distracted by the details in the wings, I never noticed.

Superb coin.

RAGNAROK likes this.
  14. AncientJoe

AncientJoe Well-Known Member

Thanks everyone! A molding compound seems very likely.

I haven't tried removing it - the coin is somewhat toned so I'd be worried about it exposing an untoned surface. I may try taking off part of it in an innocuous place to see if it is bright metal beneath.

15. Cucumbor

Cucumbor Well-Known Member

Molding compound would be my first guess too

Utterly superb coin !
    And I appreciate your optimism : I would love to dream at upgrading such a coin
    Congrats AJ

Q

16. Ivo

Ivo Member

Very nice coin .... and a splendid picture! :)

Draft saved Draft deleted