Pair of Seated Dimes

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by Lawtoad, Dec 7, 2019.

1. Lawtoad

Lawtoad Well-Known Member

I just acquired these two well traveled coins together as a "set". 1837 small date (first coin) and 1837 large date (second coin). Lots of wear, particularly on the reverse, but very readable dates. Nice matching pair of the first year of issue. 20191207_173640.jpg 20191207_173610.jpg 20191207_173808.jpg 20191207_173734.jpg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. CoinCorgi

CoinCorgi Tell your dog I said hi!

4. kanga

kanga 65 Year Collector

Both are one-year types.
    Nice.

Lawtoad likes this.
  5. Stevearino

Stevearino Well-Known Member

Help me out here: is it at all strange that the dates on the coins show little wear, but the rest of the coins are very worn? Is it characteristic of these dimes?

Steve

Lawtoad and Chuck_A like this.
  6. Lawtoad

Lawtoad Well-Known Member

Hard to say why the dates avoided the ravages of circulation wear as much. I have quite a few seated dimes (and other denominations) and the dates on them show the wear. A lot really depends on the type of Liberty Seated dime ( I believe there are 6). The design changes caused different types of wear.

https://www.ngccoin.com/coin-grading-guide/Grading-Liberty-Seated-Dimes.aspx

Chuck_A and Stevearino like this.
  7. Oldhoopster

Oldhoopster Member of the ANA since 1982

When I was a kid in the 70s, a local dealer got me interested in 19th century type. I always loved the no stars seated issues. For some reason, I always thought the G-F examples looked really cool

Lawtoad and Stevearino like this.
  8. Mainebill

Mainebill Bethany Danielle

Nice honest wear. I like the look

Lawtoad likes this.
  9. Long Beard

Long Beard Well-Known Member

From one who is four years into this series and just over two-thirds there, those are a very nice pair of circulated. I'll swing by the bank and post my two vg8/vg10,s tomorrow. As to why the date doesn't seem to wear as much I would assume it to be a combination of placement between a rather high rim and mound. I believe the dates are a bit under the height of both as well being that they were hand punched into the dies.

10. Beautiful coins

Lawtoad likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted