Paging an 18th Century Austro-Hungarian expert.

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by satootoko, Jun 15, 2005.

1. satootoko

satootoko Retired

This 1786 silver 15 kreuzer(?) has me stumped!

The bust on the obverse is completely worn away, but the legend tells us that it is Holy Roman Emperor Joseph II of Austria-Hungary: “IOSEPH * II * D * G * R * I * S * A GERM * HV * BO * REX” (Joseph II, by the grace of God Roman Emperor Always August King of Germany, Hungary & Bohemia.)

There is a “B” beneath the bust, which Krause attributes to Kermnica/Kremnitz, Hungary, for Austrian and Hungarian coins and to Breslau for Prussian or Silesian German State coins of this one’s date.

The only things on the reverse I am sure of are the date, denomination, and that Joe is Archduke of Austria. My European history knowledge isn’t strong enough to decipher the rest of the legend: “LOTH * M * D * HET * 1786 +* ARCH * AVST * D * BURG * The + stands for a symbol that is very worn, possibly four leaves in the shape of an “X”, which may be a privy mark.

The shield in the arms on the breast of the two-headed eagle doesn’t match anything shown in Krause’s German States Instant Identifier.

It’s in medal alignment.

Considering the amount of wear, a weight of 6.3g,, a diameter of 28.5mm, and a silvery “ring” match up very well with the typical 6.4g .563 silver 15 kreuzer/krajczar of the times, but under the damage scratches at the bottom of the reverse the amount “15" is clear. Austrian KM#2025, and most of the other similar coins I have located in Krause have the amount as “XV”. I haven’t found the denomination after the 1750s in any of the appropriate countries I’ve checked, and I’ve checked every one I can think of.

Sorry about the photo quality, but it’s the best I could do. The color is pretty close to accurate on the full size pictures, but my QX3+ always turns silver a coppery red. :(

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. antidote

antidote New Member

I'll give it a try:

“ARCH * AVST * D * BURG *LOTH * M * D * HET"

Archidux Austriae Dux Burgundiae Lotharingiae Magnus Dux Hetruriae

Don't know where "Hetruria" was located?? ;)

".... Region of Hetruria where Florence now stands. ..."
    (http://www.geraldini.it/new/fitzgerald_uk_1.asp)

Draft saved Draft deleted