P

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by BenjyH_2009, Dec 1, 2009.

1. BenjyH_2009

BenjyH_2009 Senior Member

is there anything special with a coin with a P-mint mark? i almost never see them, i usally see d and no mint mark

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. micheldura2

micheldura2 Senior Member

Currently, all circulating coinage produced at the Philadelphia Mint has a "P" mint mark except for the one-cent coin, or "penny."
    Philadelphia Mint Marks
    [​IMG]
    Philadelphia was the only mint in operation in those earliest years, and identification of the coinage was not necessary. The practice was continued even after the branch mints were established. In 1942, however, when World War II restrictions upon the use of metal made a change in the 5-cent piece necessary, a substitute alloy composed of 35% silver, 56% copper and 9% manganese was adopted. In order to more easily distinguish between the regular copper-nickel alloy and the substitute composition, the mint mark was moved from its usual position at the right of Monticello and placed above the dome of the building on the wartime 5-cent piece. The letter "P" appeared for the first time on Philadelphia coinage. After the war, when a return to the regular alloy was made, the mint mark was restored to its former position and the letter "P" on Philadelphia coinage was discontinued.
    In July of 1979, the Susan B. Anthony dollar coin was introduced, replacing the standard 1 1/2 -inch coin. Once again, the "P" mint mark was placed on Philadelphia production, this time on the dollar denomination.

4. BenjyH_2009

BenjyH_2009 Senior Member

okay thanks =)

5. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

Nothing special, but the P mint coins are mostly distributed east of the Mississippi so about the only way they get out to the west coast where you are are from coins in peoples pocket from the east, spent on trips west of the Mississippi

6. micheldura2

micheldura2 Senior Member

I didn't know that Conder101, thanks ..learn something new everyday.

Draft saved Draft deleted