P.O. Boxes for coin collectors / dealers

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by sshafer11, Sep 8, 2014.

1. sshafer11

sshafer11 Head Research Assistant - Coin Show Radio

So within the last year I have significantly increased the amount of coins I buy via eBay and have sent via the USPS. I'm strongly considering getting a PO Box. How many dealers/collectors out there use PO Boxes? are they a worthy buy for security? What size box is acceptable?

And also in the case that coins are stolen out of a resedential mailbox who is responsible, the seller or the buyer?

Any input is appreciated!

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. rickmp

rickmp Frequently flatulent.

In a residential box, when USPS lists the package as delivered, you own it.
    The sellers responsibility ends upon delivery, whether to a PO box or your home.
    I think there is much more security in the use of a PO box.

imrich likes this.
  4. Tom B

Tom B TomB Everywhere Else

PO box is the way to go.

imrich likes this.
  5. jwitten

jwitten Well-Known Member

I have a PO Box. I got it after a ebay customer ended up being from the town I was in, and they turned out to be a crazy person. From then on, I decided I did not want anyone to know my address. I get the smallest (cheapest) box possible. If your packaged do not fit, they hold them for you. Why would you get a bigger one? As always, with ebay, if they are stolen, you are protected as a buyer.

6. jwitten

Unless of course you file a dispute for item not as described, and say the package was empty. The buyer always wins.

7. rickmp

rickmp Frequently flatulent.

I was writing about honest buyers, not you.

Amanda Varner likes this.
  8. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

When I was buying regularly, I used a PO box. I was prompted to do this after I had one delivery worth $2K from the US Mint left on my doorstep because the package wouldn't fit in the mailbox on the street.

It's not a good idea to use your residence address for deliveries because it can alert a dishonest person to the fact that you are receiving a lot of packages. Do you really trust your mail carrier and all of your neighbor?

Chris

9. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

Unless the package is registered or otherwise requires a signature, the Post Office has oversized boxes intended for the delivery of large packages. All they will do is place the key for the appropriate box in your regular PO box.

Chris

jwitten likes this.
  10. Treashunt

Treashunt The Other Frank

OUCH!

11. medoraman

medoraman Well-Known Member

I have thought about a PO box. Maybe I should, but have never had a package go missing to my house, (knock on wood). Besides, with what I buy, no pawn store or dealer would offer anything to buy it. :)

12. jwitten

Because I said I do this, right?? I am a seller too, and have had these claims filed against me. I am speaking from experience, that ebay sides with the buyer. This is why I require signature on packages I send though.

Last edited: Sep 8, 2014
  13. jwitten

Exactly. Why would anyone pay for a large box, when a small box will hold the key to the big box anyways?

14. josh's coins

josh's coins Well-Known Member

I don't have a PO box but rather I have a box at my universities mailing center. it is just as good as a usps po box.

jwitten likes this.
  15. coleguy

coleguy Coin Collector

You can get a reinforced locking drop box if you worry about packages disappearing out of your mailbox. I believe you have to buy them through the PO. Most doctors use them as they get a lot of sample drugs through the mail. Or just do what we do and have all packages held at the PO for pick-up.

16. scottishmoney

scottishmoney Buh bye

P.O. is the way to go, now there have been little problems but they all got fixed quickly. One time a neighbour P.O. box holder got my Heritage order, but my postal carrier got it back and delivered to me. In a residential neighbourhood, - well I don't care for my neighbours knowing the slightest bit about my main hobby - they only know about my public hobbies like model railroads and amateur rocketry.

17. Jwt708

Jwt708 Well-Known Member

I've had a PO box since Jan 2013. No problems but it is inconvenient when you check your box after hours and have to come back the next day because the clerks aren't in.

18. desertgem

desertgem Senior Errer Collecktor

They don't still use students to distribute the mail into individuals boxes? That was the way when I went to college, no bonded individuals, you couldn't trust the workers not to eat the cookies from Mom :)

19. scottishmoney

scottishmoney Buh bye

They are as "bonded" as those mail box places. I prefer to deal with a place where tampering with the US mail is a federal and firing offense.

Amanda Varner likes this.
  20. onecenter

onecenter Member

I always strongly advise a post office box. I purchase many collectibles via mail and they are always secure when I am at home or out-of-town when delivered.

21. Taxidermist

Taxidermist Collector of US/IL/RU/DE

When I started buying on eBay it became quite obvious I would use there my PO box and not my real address. I`ve had a box anyhow for another purpose and if not, I would have opened one. The lazy fat behemoth who brings the mail to buildings in my area loses serious amounts of letters, and those that are not lost are delivered to wrong addresses.

Plus no one on eBay (or elsewhere) knows my real address (or real name, but that`s another story). Box located in main sorting facility of my city, so I just excluded the man/men in the middle and reduced the chance for lost letters. Going there weekly and waiting in line for large shipments is no pleasure, but its worth it.

Draft saved Draft deleted