Overweight 1940 wheat penny

Discussion in 'What's it Worth' started by RLGluvcoins, Jun 19, 2019.

1. RLGluvcoins

RLGluvcoins Active Member

I have a 1940 s wheat penny that weighs 3.3 grams I have looked everywhere and I can't find anything for 1940s that says that's normal what could be wrong is it a good thing or bad thing where with my luck is it just because thank you 15609479245506057068638465174966.jpg 15609480152632272926733769045019.jpg 15609481047632305109468986879810.jpg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

The normal weight for a Copper Cent should be 3.11 grams
    3.3 grams is within weight tolerance.
    Many coins have a +/- weight varience.
    Nothing major. Just a little thicker than normal planchet.

RLGluvcoins likes this.
  4. RLGluvcoins

Ok thanks. I only found one article where another person had one but that was a forum from 2011. Screenshot_20190619-034014~2.png

5. RLGluvcoins

But its in pretty good shape yes?

6. furryfrog02

furryfrog02 Well-Known Member

Eh. Normal circulation wear for a 79 year old coin. I find coins in this shape pretty frequently while roll searching.

RLGluvcoins likes this.
  7. RLGluvcoins

If its wore down why does it flicker back and forth from 3.3 and 3.4 shouldnt it be lighter not heavier

8. RLGluvcoins

I thought because there are no scratches or the penny isnt worn down I would get a better response on the look of it. Im new though soooo

9. Michael K

Michael K Well-Known Member

The tolerance is +/- .13 2.98-3.24.
    Since your scale only goes to tenths, it could be 3.26 rounded off to 3.3
    and 2 hundredths is not enough out of tolerance to be anything.
    If it was 3.5, then that's heavy.

RLGluvcoins and furryfrog02 like this.
  10. furryfrog02

If it was struck on an over-weight planchet (albeit within mint tolerance) it could still weigh in at 3.3/3.4. Just because it is worn from circulation does not mean the weight will drop drastically.
    There are plenty of circulation marks on your coin. Especially visible on the reverse fields. You can also see wear on the high points of Lincoln's face. Again, your coin is a well circulated 79 year old cent. Nothing out of the ordinary either positive or negative to it.
    Once you've been at it awhile, you will understand better :)
    If I came across your coin while roll searching, I'd toss it into a 40's decade roll and move on. I've definitely seen wheaties in worse condition. Those get tossed into a big container full of the worst of the worst :)

RLGluvcoins likes this.
  11. furryfrog02

And to piggyback on what @Michael K just said, your scale does not go to the 100ths of a gram, which is what you really want when weighing coins. You can purchase a cheap jeweler's scale for ~$10 on amazon that goes to .00 grams. You will get much better/accurate results.

12. RLGluvcoins

It flops back and forth from 3.3 to 3.4

Michael K likes this.
  13. RLGluvcoins

Thanks i wont have enough time left to learn it but it is fun way to spend what time I have left...hopefully Ill find something cool and leave to my best pal...12 yr old grandson Ive raised from birth.

furryfrog02 likes this.
  14. furryfrog02

You need a more accurate scale.

RLGluvcoins likes this.
  15. RLGluvcoins

Im half blind now too so even with 2 different magnifying glasses I still have issues. Any titi on better lighting I can use

16. RLGluvcoins

Ill get one Friday thanks yally

furryfrog02 likes this.
  17. RLGluvcoins

Lol Y'all

18. furryfrog02

RLGluvcoins likes this.
  19. RLGluvcoins

Ok gotcha... I wish I wouldve started this sooner but then since I was 45, 4 yrs ago, I have spent a lot of time wishing I wouldnt have put my life on hold for everyone else. But no use crying over spilled milk glass half full not half empty ha ha

furryfrog02 likes this.
  20. RLGluvcoins

21. furryfrog02

Good attitude.

RLGluvcoins likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted