Featured Overstruck coins anyone?

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by gxseries, May 28, 2007.

1. jester3681

jester3681 Exonumia Enthusiast

s-l500.jpg s-l500 (1).jpg
    Kind of a neat one - St. Patrick Apos 432 dated 1806 struck over a Edwin Stephens Wellington and Erin Go Bragh dated 1816. The overstrike is common with the St. Patrick Penny, but it's not quite so common to have a fully identifiable host. Seller's pictures.

gxseries likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Nevadabell

Nevadabell A picture of me.

If I recall correctly, some 1795 and 1797 half cents were struck on worn Talbot, Allum, and Lee tokens.

gxseries likes this.
  4. Brett_in_Sacto

Brett_in_Sacto Well-Known Member

How are counterstamps differentiated from overstrikes? Is there any hard and fast rule?

5. jester3681

jester3681 Exonumia Enthusiast

I think of counterstamps as marking the surface of the coin, where overstrikes are the reuse of a flan. But I don't believe there's any hard rule.

gxseries likes this.
  6. gxseries

gxseries Coin Collector

Wow, didn't expect an old thread to pop back up - will be almost 10 years old!!! Since then I've collected some interesting Chinese overstruck coins as well as many other world coins.

There's no need to fight over who posted what first. That said, I do have an example of the Italian coin.

Original host:

[​IMG]

Overstruck:

[​IMG]

I guess the more clear the underlying feature is, the more interesting the outcome may be.

For instance this looks like a Pegasus which was never meant to be.

[​IMG]

More overstruck coins can be seen here:
    http://gxseries.com/numis/overstrike/world_overstrike.htm

And then specifically Russian overstrikes:

http://gxseries.com/numis/rus_imperial/overstrike/rus_overstruck.htm

rrdenarius likes this.
  7. Uniquemarie21

Uniquemarie21 Member

Can anyone help me figure out 2 different coins I have? _20160621_084432.JPG _20160621_084402.JPG

8. Onofrio Bacigalupo

Onofrio Bacigalupo Well-Known Member

Why do Chinese restaurants and Asian coins always have the word "fun." Are Asians happier tha the rest of us?

9. Stephen Street

Stephen Street New Member

10. Stephen Street

Stephen Street New Member

I have just acquired about 30 pieces of chinese cash coins from the Qing ang Ch'ing dynasties, and would be interested to know if any of these pieces were overstruck or any interesting information about them

11. gxseries

gxseries Coin Collector

They should be quite obvious - if there is something odd about the underlying featuring, there is a good chance that it may be overstruck. Please feel free to post photos of the coins that you believe that are so.

12. britannia40

britannia40 Well-Known Member

I wasnt around when this kicked off. The closest i have are the few CS.
    cs3.jpg cs2.jpg brazil.jpg brazil1.jpg 1733a.jpg 1733b.jpg 1733cs.jpg Screenshot_2016-11-11-16-40-34.png Screenshot_2016-11-11-16-40-41.png

Marsyas Mike likes this.
  13. Marshall

Marshall Junior Member

Does anybody have information on photographing overstruck coins? I have another thread on here in the US Coins forum about a very worn Large Cent which I think is a 1795 S-78 struck on a Talbot Allum & Lee 1795 Thick planchet which weighs 149 grains and has what I think is the K of New York of the token in the field across from Liberty's eye.

The seller's photos are better at showing what I think is undertype than those I can produce.

https://www.cointalk.com/threads/another-large-cent-intrigue.287021/#post-2584315

14. gxseries

gxseries Coin Collector

A tip that I have when you are trying to feature the underlying element is that you never attempt to take coin photos at an angle. This makes it very hard to compare with another coin unless you have it at the same angle. Because the coin is heavily worn, it is unreasonable to compare coins / tokens of similar weight unless they are similarly worn.

If you are ambitious enough, you can attempt to feature this as a gif. I've made one a while back. Turns out I've got the wrong variety of the underlying coin but you get the message.

Russian 1704 1 ruble - with suspicious underlying feature

[​IMG]

German thaler - sorry I really don't specialize in this field so I don't know what it is

[​IMG]

Overlaying feature. Note that the coin has been cut from the host coin which makes this very difficult to trace its origin

[​IMG]

Marsyas Mike and Marshall like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted