Oversized penny?

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by rkpd, Nov 22, 2005.

1. craton

craton New Member

Why is the nickel that you have it placed next to an "acid" nickel (soaked in acid to make it smaller)?

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. mpaulson

mpaulson New Member

I happened to see your post and It reminded me of a coin a saw a while ago in an old penny jar! So i search and searched and I actually found it!! It's the SAME DATE also, !!!! II will try to post some picts in a little bit!! mine appears to be more of a normal size though.

4. mpaulson

mpaulson New Member

see new thread for the pictures..

5. fudds

fudds New Member

I have one the same except mine is a 1995. really bad shape but does not look like its been hammered. really discolored

6. Greg Harris

Greg Harris New Member

I have a 1983 D Over sized .8125 dia. Really discolored.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2019
  7. Shrews1994

Shrews1994 Collecting is my passion.

It is called the Texas cent. That's why It
    looks bigger. It was done by someone purposely. It's damaged

8. alurid

alurid Well-Known Member

It is only 2.2 MM from Cent to Nickel. Not considered damaged to everyone.
    texas ¢ (9).jpg

9. Mary A

Mary A New Member

I understand the original post. Not pounded between leather. I have found one in my change. The rim is raised like it has been accidentally emitted that way. If you pounded with letter, it would also flatten the rim, right? So that concept gets tossed out.

10. Mary A

Mary A New Member

11. l.cutler

l.cutler Member

No, it wouldn't flatten the rim. The same reason that the lettering isn't flattened, the softer leather keeps it from happening. The only way a coin could be struck larger than normal is if it was broadstruck, struck without the collar in place. One of the error guys can describe it better, but when this happens the design and lettering are normal size.

12. alurid

alurid Well-Known Member

I believe my coin was enlarged in some sort of Hydraulic press. It is flat on the the edges as well. But it was definitely sandwiched between some kind of material to protect the surface of the coin.

13. Jpappasre

Jpappasre New Member

I have a 1988 penny same size as nickel. This is the first post I've seen that has an identical Penny the size of nickle.

14. cwart

cwart Senior Member Supporter

Is there still copper on it? If not its a texas penny. It was placed between two pieces of leather and hit. Coin gets thinner but the diameter goes up.

Oh and if you come back.... start a new thread, this one is very old and well past its use by date.

15. Kevin Mader

Kevin Mader Fellow Coin Enthusiast Supporter

Thinking Texas Cent. We would need pictures.

Draft saved Draft deleted